• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Europcar hopes for Vuelta invitation"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep, 'Tomas Voeckler gives a lot of importance :eek: to Vuelta and Tirreno' is another moronic quote by Bernaudeau. I don't think it's wise to give them a wildcard if their main point being Vockler's participation, as if he'll ride the Tour dreaming about Vuelta and saving energy for it :rolleyes:

Kvinto said:
Yep, 'Tomas Voeckler gives a lot of importance :eek: to Vuelta and Tirreno' is another moronic quote by Bernaudeau. I don't think it's wise to give them a wildcard if their main point being Vockler's participation, as if he'll ride the Tour dreaming about Vuelta and saving energy for it :rolleyes:

Voeckler will probably target a few stages not go all out at the Tour. Besides its perfectly possible to do both, see the 4th place finishers at the Vuelta for last 2 years. Purito was very good in both. And that was a lot harder tour than the one coming now.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Voeckler will probably target a few stages not go all out at the Tour. Besides its perfectly possible to do both, see the 4th place finishers at the Vuelta for last 2 years. Purito was very good in both. And that was a lot harder tour than the one coming now.

Voeckler will go all out at the Tour just because the race is too important for any French team. Of course he is not a GC contender at the Tour 2012 so he'll probably go for stages but i'm sure, for him and Bernaudeau this few stages are more important than Vuelta GC top-10 (or even top-5) hopes. On the other hand we'll see teams that (unlike Europcar) won't be invited to the Tour and might consider Vuelta as the season's goal.

EDIT: with all due respect to Voeckler i like him as a crazy attacker but just can't stand the guy as a GC rider.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Indeed I am right.

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/13819/-skil-en-fdj-vechten-om-laatste-vuelta-ticket-.html

Fact. Like it or not. ;)

Besides, he was hardly the most successful sprinter at that point. # of wins don't mean anything when you only win lesser races.
For "most successful" read "most hyped".

What that article has to do with what you said, I'm not sure. They had the choice between a French and a Dutch team, and because the ASO owns the Vuelta they chose the Dutch one?

theyoungest said:
For "most successful" read "most hyped".

What that article has to do with what you said, I'm not sure. They had the choice between a French and a Dutch team, and because the ASO owns the Vuelta they chose the Dutch one?

Way to misrepresent the article. It says that ASO preferred Skil over FDJ - yes they preferred a Dutch team over a French one.

Eh........ just in case you're not trolling (what are the odds? :( ) they obviously like to use the Vuelta as a consolation prize for a team that "just" loses out on a Tour invitation. Skil were "first reserve," if you recall.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Way to misrepresent the article. It says that ASO preferred Skil over FDJ - yes they preferred a Dutch team over a French one.

Eh........ just in case you're not trolling (what are the odds? :( ) they obviously like to use the Vuelta as a consolation prize for a team that "just" loses out on a Tour invitation. Skil were "first reserve," if you recall.

Next year it will be different for project 1t4i. They should probably get invited to the tour, in addution to Europcar, Cofidis and Saur-Sojasun, so if we follow the same logic, the "consolation" invitation would go to a different team as far as the Vuelta is concerned?

nobilis said:
Next year it will be different for project 1t4i. They should probably get invited to the tour, in addution to Europcar, Cofidis and Saur-Sojasun, so if we follow the same logic, the "consolation" invitation would go to a different team as far as the Vuelta is concerned?

TT1 if they don't get invited to the Giro or the Tour.

If they secure Cobo, though, they'll get invited to the Vuelta regardless and ASO will only have Europcar to "worry" about.

Caja Rural, Cofidis, Europcar, TT1 wouldn't surprise me

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
nobilis said:

next year will be invitation to coldeportes for sure. prudhomme has stated a number of times now that he wants a colombian team in the 100th tour de france

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
TT1 if they don't get invited to the Giro or the Tour.

If they secure Cobo, though, they'll get invited to the Vuelta regardless and ASO will only have Europcar to "worry" about.

Caja Rural, Cofidis, Europcar, TT1 wouldn't surprise me

the cobo rumor was wrong. cobo might go to healthnet but not to type 1

Ryo Hazuki said:
the cobo rumor was wrong. cobo might go to healthnet but not to type 1

Ah, okay. TT1 don't deserve to be invited to a GT anyhow.

nobilis said:
so to make it simple, in addition to the WT teams, one team is guaranteed to be invited to the vuelta, the one with cobo in it.

Correct.

Caja Rural was more or less promised a spot. edit: though that may not amount to much

TRENDING THREADS