• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Championships 2019 - Alkmaar

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It is. Not the first time you seem to have an individual opinion regarding him.

Alas "blow up" was losing 3 Minutes on 33km. I said it wasn't enough and now i have to read here that losing
You're one to talk about having a personal opinion of him. lol.
Anyway, no 1m30s isn't a lot to lose on the final 6km of multiple climbs after blowing up. Regardless of what you may believe.

Last edited:
I just don't think getting "outclimbed" by 7 seconds by Kudus and Conti has to be an issue for a 19 year old. Whatever the reason of his attack in AIR, is irrelevant. He attacked too soon, blew himself up, still managed to lose only 1m30s. I'm sure Knox was ok with him attacking, because it was in Knox best interest as well.
That is not what Mayo says. The point is that if you had to draw a picture of where Evenepoel's current strengths lie, then surely it would be in rolling terrain/TT'ing and not in high mountain climbing. And who knows what the future may bring. Obviously, all Belgian fans would love a new GT-dominating rider but you should not be blinded by that hope in your evaluation of his current climbing level.

7 Bft wind in the forecast, with very strong wind gusts tomorrow. The womens race is going to complete and utter carnage. Sadly, on sunday the worst of it is over already for the mens race. The forecast is only 4 Bft, with shelter in the city that probably won't be enough to break it up. Fingers crossed that it picks up enough to go to 5 Bft, then it should be enough to have a very attractive race for the men as well.

That is not what Mayo says. The point is that if you had to draw a picture of where Evenepoel's current strengths lie, then surely it would be in rolling terrain/TT'ing and not in high mountain climbing. And who knows what the future may bring. Obviously, all Belgian fans would love a new GT-dominating rider but you should not be blinded by that hope in your evaluation of his current climbing level.
It's got nothing to do with all that. Sure i'm a fan, and while i'm excited, i'm also rather realistic. If you read through the Evenepoel topic, you'll see that both are true. I have personally described him as a mini-cancellara, who due to his tiny frame (weight), will also climb fast. I also compared him to Indurain, but a more realistic version, again due to his size/weight.

What Mayo has been saying, and he's stated that before in other topics, is that he can't understand why a 61kg kid who can pounce like he does in ITT, is still "only" at the same climbing level as Jan Polanc who is such a bad climber that he finished 11th and 14th in the Giro. But ofcourse, Mayo doesn't use Polanc as reference, but Kudus and Conti, because those fit his point better. While forgetting that he's still only 19 and probably climbing faster than Bernal at that age (going by Bernal's Tour de l'Avenir when he was 20, i'm actually quite sure of that). He also seems to forget that Remco is still not skinny as a climber, and has stated he wants to wait before working on his weight. And that he's only done his first altitude camp, a few weeks ago. While using descriptions like "outclimbed" for what is in reality a 7 second gap and Evenepoel went solo in the attack, while Kudus and Conti were cowering away in the wheel of Grossshartner. Yeah, i know what Mayo is talking about.

Patermoster-Web-2.jpg
Congrats!

• Haha
Reactions: Sestriere

TRENDING THREADS