Eurosport commentary

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Note the irony taking place over at the CN live commentary.
The commentators seem to enjoy quoting some of the most banal sentences in Carlton Kirby's book while (not) commenting on a banal stage of the tour de France. You see, there is nothing to say. The stage will be a bore-fest until there are 10 km's remaining.
Yet my man Carlton Kirby is being made fun of because there is absolutely nothing else to talk about. I guess you know how Kirby feels when he has to fill in three hours of dead air before something exciting happens.
I would get a kick out of Kirby if he decided to fill dead air by reading quotes from the CN broadcasters during a dull as dishwater stage.

It's since this morning that Magrini and Gregorio are saying again and again that was Sagan the last winner in Nancy, when they showed the photofinish of 2014 they even said "looks like Trentin but Sagan won" :lol:

Apr 27, 2016
Today's finish provided evidence that Kirby needs to stop commentating fast. Thought Philipsen was Kristoff and couldn't call the winner- saying it had to go to a photo when it was blatantly obvious Viviani won. Pratt.

Re:

argyllflyer said:
A new Kirbyism yesterday, along the lines of a younger "Sagan sounded like he learned English from a wasp trapped in a jam jar".
That is funny.
My man Carlton Kirby oftentimes comes up with quips that seem to have been spontaneously spewed from the mouth of a well-read and articulate person whose senses have been altered--i.e. drunk.
I really don't care if the guy has had a few. I would much rather listen to these little observations and suggestions than some guy who says "Pinot has just caught up to the break!"
Yawn.
Long live Carlton Kirby.
He is the best.

Jul 30, 2009
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Wiggo back on his motorbike, let the fun begin! :lol:
Gotta admit Wiggins on the motorbike is the best they’ve done in years. I like this version way better then bike rider.

I think Orla Chennaoui is a great addition to Eurosport coverage. She is a good interviewer and comes across as a down to earth lady.

I really didn't like Brad Wiggins on or off the bike during his riding career, but he works well on the show

Kelly remains a legend.

Re:

barmaher said:
I think Orla Chennaoui is a great addition to Eurosport coverage. She is a good interviewer and comes across as a down to earth lady.

I really didn't like Brad Wiggins on or off the bike during his riding career, but he works well on the show

Kelly remains a legend.
I think she is okay but I like Wiggo's contributions as well especially on the TT stages. Kelly has always been one of the better commentators and let's the visuals tell the story when not much is happening. There is no need to babble continuously like some of the others do.

British Eurosport commentary pairings so far (mens .WT, .HC and .1 only):

Tour Down Under (highlights): (world feed - Liggett & McEwan)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race: (world feed - Keenan & McEwan w/ Evans)
Vuelta a San Juan: Hatch & Backstedt (stage 1), Stephens (stage 2-7)
Challenge Mallorca: Hatch (solo)
Herald Sun Tour (highlights): (world feed - Keenan & David McKenzie)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana: Hatch & Smith
Tour of Oman (recap): (world feed - Marty MacDonald)
Clasica de Almeria: (ES Player only)
Trofeo Laigueglia: (ES Player only)
Volta ao Algarve: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3), Simon Gerrans (stages 4&5)
Vuelta a Andalucia: Kirby & Smith
UAE Tour: Hatch & Gerrans (stage 1), Smith (stage 2-7)
Omloop Het Niewsblad: Quigley & Backstedt
Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne: Quigley & Backstedt
Le Samyn: Hatch & Backstedt
Strade Bianche: Hatch & Backstedt
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
Tirreno-Adriatico: Kirby & Smith
Tour de Taiwan: Kirby (solo)
Nokere Koerse: Hatch & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde (formerly Handzame) Classic: Stephens & Backstedt
Milan-Sanremo: Hatch & Stephens
Tour of Catalunya: Kirby & Stephens
Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne: Hatch & Smith (men) / Lucy Martin (women)
E3 Binckbank Classic: Hatch & Backstedt
Gent-Wevelgem: Quigley & Smith
Dwars Door Vlaanderen: Kirby & Smith
Giro di Sicilia: Quigley (solo stage 1) & Smith (stage 2-)
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Kirby, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs: Quigley & Backstedt
Paris-Roubaix: Hatch, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Tour of Turkey: Kirby & Smith
De Brabantse Pijl: Quigley & Stephens
Amstel Gold Race: Quigley & Kelly
Tour of the Alps: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3, 5), Backstedt (stage 4) (live from Monday 22nd April)
Tro Bro Leon: Quigley & Backstedt
La Fleche Wallonne: Kirby & Stephens
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie: Kirby & Smith
Eschborn-Frankfurt: Quigley & Stephens
Tour de Yorkshire: Quigley & Gibb
Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly (UK) / Kirby & Backstedt (International) (live from Sat 11th May)
Tour of California: Kirby & Smith (stages 1-3), Gibb & Smith (stage 4-) (live from Sun 12th May)
4 Jours de Dunkerque: Gibb & Colin Sturgess
Tour de l'Ain: Gibb & Sturgess
GP Marcel Kint: (ES Player only)
Circuit de Wallonie: (ES Player only)
GP de Plumelec - Morbihan: (ES Player only)
Criterium du Dauphine: Hatch & Stephens
Tour de Luxembourg: Hatch (solo)
Tour de Hongrie: Harris-Bass & Gibb
Baloise Belgium Tour: (ES Player only - comms is world feed, unknown)
Tour de Suisse: Quigley & Smith
Tour of Slovenia: Kirby & Gibb
Route d'Occitanie: Hatch & Gibb
Heistse Pijl: (ES Player only)
Dwars Door Het Hageland: (ES Player only)
Elfstedenronde: (ES Player only)
Halle-Ingooigem: (ES Player only)
Tour de France: Hatch, Kirby, Kelly, Smith with Harris Bass (plus guests)
Tour de Wallonie (stages 4&5): Quigley & Backstedt
Clasica San Sebastian: Quigley & Backstedt
Tour de Pologne: Hatch & Stephens (from 3/8/19)
RideLondon: Gibb & Backstedt
European Mens TT Championships: Quigley & Stephens
Europeans Mens Road Championships: Quigley & Smith
Binckbank Tour: Kirby & Smith (live from 12/8)
Tour ofUtah: Hatch & Gibb (live from 12/8)
Arctic Race of Norway: Stephens & Backstedt (stages 1-3), Hatch & Stephens (stage 4)

Selected future events confirmed

Vuelta a Espana: tbc

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
Panchetti today during the London-Surrey Classic coverage listed this month races they have live: European Championship, Binck Bank Tour, Arctic Race, Tour of Utah, Denmark Rundfahrt (a novelty), Deutschland Tour and the last two stages of Tour de l'Avenir. He didn't mention Hamburg that usually they have as well and the Great War Race that there was last year for the inaugural edition.

Panchetti today during the London-Surrey Classic coverage listed this month races they have live: European Championship, Binck Bank Tour, Arctic Race, Tour of Utah, Denmark Rundfahrt (a novelty), Deutschland Tour and the last two stages of Tour de l'Avenir. He didn't mention Hamburg that usually they have as well and the Great War Race that there was last year for the inaugural edition.
I believe that isn't taking place this year:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS