• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Euskaltel-Euskadi Discussion

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is the link: http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=43872

It's actually a little odd - he (the head of Euskaltel, the company) says that the problem is not to do with money, but concern at what the future strategy of the team will be. He seems very concerned by the loss of Gonzalez de Galdeano. However, he also says that he is confident that the team can overcome the loss, leaving open the question of why exactly he is casting doubt on the team's future.

Duartista said:
The Quintana to Movistar signing is now officially official.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=43876

In less happy news, bici also have a story about Euskaltel's future being in doubt post 2012 :-(

What? I never thought it possible. Teams come and go, but Euskaltel is special..sincerely hope "in doubt" just means they haven't got their financing sorted quite yet. Not to say anything against the american/british/australian "superteams", but I think it's safe to say we can't afford to lose a team like euskaltel..

joe_papp said:
Yeah, seriously. As if my life isn't crap enough, and today wasn't bad enough...thanks, jerk.

Sometimes, it's the simple pleasures that pull us out of wallowing deep in the mire that is modern life.

Watching Euskaltel apply the "it didn't work the last 279 times we tried, so they won't expect us to try the same thing again!" logic to the sport is one of those simple pleasures.

Another problem of the price of competitiveness being driven up by the Manchester Citys of this world and the World Tour's selling out to the highest bidder and including far too many near-worthless flat races like Eneco, Vattenfall and Beijing.

that just can't happen!!!! never

euskaltel, lampre, lotto and quick step are the images of cycling so they must stay forever!!!!

we can also add teams like liqui, saxo, and movistar to this list tho they have changed sponsors and kit colours over the years so aren't as recognizable as those i mentioned. cycling isn't the same without orange and pink and blue. :(

(i may be forgetting some other long term sponsor)

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

euskaltel, lampre, lotto and quick step are the images of cycling so they must stay forever!!!!

we can also add teams like liqui, saxo, and movistar to this list tho they have changed sponsors and kit colours over the years so aren't as recognizable as those i mentioned. cycling isn't the same without orange and pink and blue. :(

Rabobank bro ;)

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Rabobank too. But if Euskaltel leaves ill cry myself to sleep each night.. :(

Yeah it would suck to see them go.

Maybe some coalition of Basque companies could step into the void if they leave. Euskadi would still presumably be there and there must be a few Basque banks or newspapers to keep it going even if only at ProContinental level.

I doubt it'll happen though.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
would be hilarious. (this was not regarding ee)

Michielveedeebee said:
That would suck big time :/ Euskaltel is a great team, with very exciting riders :(

for me it is the dedication to the sport I appreciate most.
I really dislike the greedy cash infleunced direction the WT is headed in.
I stay hope for a WT disband :eek:

BTW regarding long term main-sponsors, cofidos, ag2r and FDJ also.
been solid since mid 90s. Same with Rabo.

I think a couple years ago cofidos talked about serious downgrading, but really they seem ok.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
It would be sad to see EE leave, I hope it doesn't happen. It might be better if they ended up Pro Continental as long as they got to race Vuelta, Tour and all big hilly 1 day races. Giro perhaps every couple of years, it might strech them a bit thin to race 3 GTs every year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
With Anton's & Sanchez's ordinary time trial peformances in Beijing, doesn't look likely that a carrot will feature highly in the GC in the Tour of Beijing which desn't look good for EE's World Tour chances. Peraud's very good ride keeps AG2R with a good chance of retaining a WT license.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe EE needs to be Basque based but have Spanish speaking riders.

I know I know - but it would help keep the team going

Would be a said day if it was true

Uh, they already have Spanish-speaking riders. If you mean they should ditch their team philosophy, I disagree. That would definitely be the death of them.

If EE folds it won't be because of a lack of results or popular support. It will be, simply, because Euskaltel and the Basque government won't be able to keep paying. The crisis and all that, you know.

To cheer you up a bit, there are worries every two years or so Euskaltel might fold due to lack of funding. Till now it didn't materialize luckily. We'll see about this time. It might be time to attract an extra/new sponsor, it surprises me no other Basque company wants to pour in 2 million or so for a lot of exposure in a nation's favourite sport.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Uh, they already have Spanish-speaking riders. If you mean they should ditch their team philosophy, I disagree. That would definitely be the death of them.

If EE folds it won't be because of a lack of results or popular support. It will be, simply, because Euskaltel and the Basque government won't be able to keep paying. The crisis and all that, you know.

I know they has spanish speaking riders - except 2 ( I think) Sammy and the young French climber ( forgotten his name :eek:), but there are other countries and non basque who could be signed just the majority Basque

just some guy said:
I know they has spanish speaking riders - except 2 ( I think) Sammy and the young French climber ( forgotten his name :eek:), but there are other countries and non basque who could be signed just the majority Basque

Sicard is actually Basque, from the French region. Sanchez always competed in Basque country also in youth ranks, same for Cabedo next year.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
My point re EE is being lost due to my lack of thinking

Basque both French and Spanish plus Sammy fit the team ideology - but by looking for other countries ie South America and non Basque Spanish riders but keep the development of young Basque and the majority Basque the team can still promote the Basque region but gain more points to remain in the World tour and maybe even some smaller sponsorship from non Basque business.