• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans 2010 -what's changed?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Obviously Cadel started 2010 with a new Team and the Rainbow jersey, but I think there has been another major change - attitude.

In the previous years Cadel's comments about his team managers and team mates seemed to be more about what they weren't and couldn't do. This would happen during races and seemed to come as an excuse for a bad day or another almost ran.

However this year he seems more intent on building the relationship with his team. In the Tour Down Under, he set out to show the guys his form (I think it was stage 4 that he tried to break for the win, then on Willunga Hill he attacked.)

In Amstel Gold he did a huge load of work for Kroon and after Fleche he praised the work Frank and Morabito.

I'm really pleased to see this change and I wonder if it is helping him to produce at another level (and get improved support)

anyone else notice a change?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
There have been big changes for sure.

I think his win at World's helped to shed the stigma of being a great second place rider.

Having the confidence of being a winner and having the team look at his as a winner is a self-perpetuating cycle.

I hope he is able to animate the grand tours and bring continued excitement to the racing year. It is always good to see the rainbow jersey play a prominent role in the races.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
media training and increased PR, he's not doing anything particularly new. He's won before and praised teammates before...just now more people are aware of it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
In Amstel Gold he did a huge load of work for Kroon and after Fleche he praised the work Frank and Morabito.

He did a lot for Gilbert's Lombardia win last year as well, he would have been a real shot for that himself (he had the form) but forced a selection and let Gilbert jump

I think the big thing is he has developed a finishing sprint in the last 2 years, it was an obvious weakness and on many occasions has cost him a handful of seconds, (remember how bad he was the the Stuttgart World champs), being "there" gives a confidence that shows through when you talk to other people. People always talk up the team, unless there is no team to talk of!

Lets be honest Lotto had crap support, Horner was good, yet they let him go away and replaced him with Poppo... who popped too often, pretty easy to get jacked of with that. The fact is in this game you just can't win things solo (OK ITT :) )

Evans has said himself in today's Gazzetta dello Sport: namely he worked with Aldo Sassi of the Mapei training center on rythm changes in race conditions during training, and this has made a difference (in yesterday's victory when surpassing Contador, who hit the front too soon on the Mur, in the last 150 meters.)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
media training and increased PR, he's not doing anything particularly new. He's won before and praised teammates before...just now more people are aware of it.

maybe your right. i feel he has a bit of work to repair his winney boy persona. I'm hoping for some more results this year and more positive media exposure.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I dont think anything has changed.

He was in the exact same position in 2008. This year he got his timing right.

Got to say he does look fatter in that disgraceful kit this year.

53 x 11 said:
I dont think anything has changed.

He was in the exact same position in 2008. This year he got his timing right.

Got to say he does look fatter in that disgraceful kit this year.

Yeh but something "had to" change in order to get the timing right.

Evans is a basket case, he's one of the few rider's who can probably legitimately claim that improved psychology resulted in improved performance. The greatest shock (and thus change) for Evans would have come after he lost the 2008 Tour. It's easy to overstate the value of moving to BMC, remember that Evans was in good form at the end of 2009 whilst he was still at the "hostile" S-L environment.

The key will be the Giro, he may have the mentality to win a one day race now, but he's yet to show that he can overcome the ghosts of 2008. He wasn't pushed to that level in the Vuelta (although you could say he let himself down in the kms after he punctured) but there will definitely be cases in the Giro where his tactics and mentality will be the difference between holding on with the best climbers, or losing minutes.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Evans is a basket case
What a load of toro excrement. To have remained at the level he was throughout his stay with Lotto after 2008 would not have been possible if he was a basket case.
It's easy to overstate the value of moving to BMC, remember that Evans was in good form at the end of 2009 whilst he was still at the "hostile" S-L environment.
There is no overstating the move to BMC was extremely beneficial to Cadel; he knew there was hope at the end of the tunnel after the worlds... Didn't see a Lotto DS or team at the worlds. He helped Gilbert because he was one of the true friends he had at Lotto despite all the words in this forum to the contrary about them.
(although you could say he let himself down in the kms after he punctured)
If you had written this at the start of the post I would have realised you were just another dumbA$$ troll and wouldn't have wasted my time commenting on your drivel.
but there will definitely be cases in the Giro where his tactics and mentality will be the difference between holding on with the best climbers, or losing minutes.
That is what racing is all about, it's the same for everyone in the race.;)

powderpuff said:
What a load of toro excrement. To have remained at the level he was throughout his stay with Lotto after 2008 would not have been possible if he was a basket case.There is no overstating the move to BMC was extremely beneficial to Cadel; he knew there was hope at the end of the tunnel after the worlds... Didn't see a Lotto DS or team at the worlds. He helped Gilbert because he was one of the true friends he had at Lotto despite all the words in this forum to the contrary about them. If you had written this at the start of the post I would have realised you were just another dumbA$$ troll and wouldn't have wasted my time commenting on your drivel. That is what racing is all about, it's the same for everyone in the race.;)

Why do you bother posting? You are completely one eyed and only show your face when Evans wins something.

Frankly, no one here cares if you're best mates with Cuddles, if you're not open to discussion, rack off.

Why did I even bother trying to shed some light (from my perspective) on the situation if I'm just going to get called a troll by a lover boy. Don't be so defensive, my post was hardly critical.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why do you bother posting? You are completely one eyed and only show your face when Evans wins something.

Frankly, no one here cares if you're best mates with Cuddles, if you're not open to discussion, rack off.
Oh did I have some valid arguments against your drivel....booo hooo.;)
I generally limit my posts to something I know about or am interested in, I can quite readily put an inane comment to all your posts if you would like but hey we wouldn't like you to take your ball and go home would we.:p
Until next time sweety.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why did I even bother trying to shed some light (from my perspective) on the situation if I'm just going to get called a troll by a lover boy. Don't be so defensive, my post was hardly critical.
Who is defensive? Mine was a valid response to your comments. It's OK to call ACF a tosser and idiot because he is truly passionate about the sport and sometimes is a bit over-zealous and when I put my two cents worth in you say it is crap because I know Cadel, and you should discount it as it does not follow the unwritten rules of this forum being 50% of a persons posts must be hearsay or totally fabricated BS. Sorry to spoil your fun but i am no lover boy, but hey I am willing to try anything once.;)

powderpuff said:
Who is defensive? Mine was a valid response to your comments. It's OK to call ACF a tosser and idiot because he is truly passionate about the sport and sometimes is a bit over-zealous and when I put my two cents worth in you say it is crap because I know Cadel, and you should discount it as it does not follow the unwritten rules of this forum being 50% of a persons posts must be hearsay or totally fabricated BS. Sorry to spoil your fun but i am no lover boy, but hey I am willing to try anything once.;)

Actually I've never called ACF a tosser or an idiot, and admire his resolve in the face of criticism. He often finds himself in bad situations but toughs it out. As such he has a license to gloat when things go his way. It's not me who will be taking my ball home - I'll be here tomorrow and the next day, I'll see YOU next time you have an urge to deface any comments which you don't agree with regarding your mate. Or the next time he wins... Go Pellizotti!

You failed to provide any significant points - the fact that you picked my post apart showed that you only ever intended to destroy it, rather than add your own perspective on the thread.

How was mentioning the puncture at the Vuelta "trolling". Evans lost time through the puncture, the wheel change, the penalty but he also lost time because he didn't perform. For me this was a throwback to 2008, where his time losses could also be attributed as much to his tactics/psychology as his lack of legs. Even 2007, where he blew up a couple of times trying to follow the frantic attacks coming from three or four riders.

You think that the turning point was the Worlds 2009 and moving to BMC (as in line with the current rhetoric doing the circles in the media). I think the bigger change came after losing to Sastre, this is the point I see where Evans became stronger tactically/mentally, and more aggressive.

My argument might not be valid but it's certainly my opinion and it's going to contribute a lot more to this thread than your rehashed PR speak.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Actually I've never called ACF a tosser or an idiot, and admire his resolve in the face of criticism. He often finds himself in bad situations but toughs it out. As such he has a license to gloat when things go his way. It's not me who will be taking my ball home - I'll be here tomorrow and the next day, I'll see YOU next time you have an urge to deface any comments which you don't agree with regarding your mate. Or the next time he wins... Go Pellizotti!

You failed to provide any significant points - the fact that you picked my post apart showed that you only ever intended to destroy it, rather than add your own perspective on the thread.

How was mentioning the puncture at the Vuelta "trolling". Evans lost time through the puncture, the wheel change, the penalty but he also lost time because he didn't perform. For me this was a throwback to 2008, where his time losses could also be attributed as much to his tactics/psychology as his lack of legs. Even 2007, where he blew up a couple of times trying to follow the frantic attacks coming from three or four riders.

You think that the turning point was the Worlds 2009 and moving to BMC (as in line with the current rhetoric doing the circles in the media). I think the bigger change came after losing to Sastre, this is the point I see where Evans became stronger tactically/mentally, and more aggressive.

My argument might not be valid but it's certainly my opinion and it's going to contribute a lot more to this thread than your rehashed PR speak.

Last post in respect to your post... yes you do have the right to write what you like, as do I. I referenced each of your points individually as it was easier to add my comments and beliefs. I will stick to my comment of "trolling" because his result that day was not due to under performing it was predominantly due to the tyre change, well actually it was under performing but not by Cadel but by the Shimano Service crew.

2008 TdF was hard to take mentally but I think the total lack of support during the TdF 2009 was the beginning of the end.

Cadel hasn't been as happy as he is now(bike racing) for quite a while and a lot of that is because he has control over what he is doing and the people around him are listening.

I have been a member here since 2004, just because I don't have 2000 posts doesn't mean I do not take notice of what is being said or have a point of view on it.

I can take criticism where it is due and please shoot me down when ever you get the urge but I WILL offer my opinion whenever I get the urge.

Go Pellizotti!, now there is an ego.

Nice chatting with you, we will have to do coffee sometime.;)

powderpuff said:

Actually, it was to stir you up, mission accomplished... I hope Evans wins the Giro, but at what cost.

You're more than welcome to offer your opinion - but ripping people's posts apart line by line with one line answers in most places isn't exactly a revered method (and hypocritical when you call someone a troll whilst practicing trollkraft yourself :p )

Edit: Did CN have forums in 2004? I only noticed them in early 2009 (same with a lot of people I think). Were they reset or something? Is there an archive anywhere?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

No, I don't know either of you, except for what I just read ... and you, my son are a complete idiot. I believe you would be out of your depth in a shallow bath. Ride more, race a bit, or at least once and learn what the truth in cycling is all about. I suggest you move to a doping thread - you'll be more engaging to them.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Last post in respect to your post... yes you do have the right to write what you like, as do I. I referenced each of your points individually as it was easier to add my comments and beliefs. I will stick to my comment of "trolling" because his result that day was not due to under performing it was predominantly due to the tyre change, well actually it was under performing but not by Cadel but by the Shimano Service crew.

2008 TdF was hard to take mentally but I think the total lack of support during the TdF 2009 was the beginning of the end.

Cadel hasn't been as happy as he is now(bike racing) for quite a while and a lot of that is because he has control over what he is doing and the people around him are listening.

I have been a member here since 2004, just because I don't have 2000 posts doesn't mean I do not take notice of what is being said or have a point of view on it.

I can take criticism where it is due and please shoot me down when ever you get the urge but I WILL offer my opinion whenever I get the urge.

Nice chatting with you, we will have to do coffee sometime.;)

I post because I like talking about cycling with others. I do post a lot because time permits. Doesn't mean I don't have a life either!

Andy.G said:
No, I don't know either of you, except for what I just read ... and you, my son are a complete idiot. I believe you would be out of your depth in a shallow bath. Ride more, race a bit, or at least once and learn what the truth in cycling is all about. I suggest you move to a doping thread - you'll be more engaging to them.

I'd say I'm more out of depth talking about medicine, science and physiology than I am professional sport.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
You did say that Cadel LET HIMSELF DOWN in the kms after he punctured and lost contact waiting out a disastrous wheel change, in the Vuelta ??

Let himself down ??

You dipstick. Go back to AFL. This beautiful sport is obviously beyond you.

Andy.G said:
You did say that Cadel LET HIMSELF DOWN in the kms after he punctured and lost contact waiting out a disastrous wheel change, in the Vuelta ??

Let himself down ??

You dipstick. Go back to AFL. This beautiful sport is obviously beyond you.

Let himself down/blew up due to not being able to mitigate the terrible situation he was presented with.

Don't let hyperbole ruin your day.

At least we can agree, re: AFL.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Let himself down/blew up due to not being able to mitigate the terrible situation he was presented with.
Don't let hyperbole ruin your day.

At least we can agree, re: AFL.

Come on ferminal, your being a **** now.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Actually, it was to stir you up, mission accomplished... I hope Evans wins the Giro, but at what cost.

You're more than welcome to offer your opinion - but ripping people's posts apart line by line with one line answers in most places isn't exactly a revered method (and hypocritical when you call someone a troll whilst practicing trollkraft yourself :p )

Edit: Did CN have forums in 2004? I only noticed them in early 2009 (same with a lot of people I think). Were they reset or something? Is there an archive anywhere?
Yep, I found out about them while watching the Olympics in 2004.
I think BMC are very stretched with what they have on their dinner plate and I wait just like you to see what will eventuate.;)

auscyclefan94 said:
I post because I like talking about cycling with others. I do post a lot because time permits. Doesn't mean I don't have a life either!

... and others.

PLEASE, all of you stop now. You're bloating a very interesting thread which is not about you folks, otherwise it would say your usernames in the title instead of Cadel Evans' :)

All of you regularly post interesting stuff, so I'm just appealing to that side of you. Let's just get back on topic, eh? :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Evans said he didn't salute because his arms were so tired from pulling his handlebars on the mur.

Cycling actually got on the 6pm news bulletin and got more than 5 seconds.

TRENDING THREADS