• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans 2010 -what's changed?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Evans is a weird character. He's hard to warm to but his eternal nearly man status has made him an underdog, hence appealing. His talent is enough that he should have a better palmarès than he does, but he seldom goes into races as a favourite. He's been criticised for not attacking - yesterday on Eurosport David Harmon even said "perhaps at last people will stop saying he doesn't attack" - yet yesterday he won because he timed everything perfectly, whereas in 2008 and 2009 at the same race the so-called 'non-attacker' lost the race by attacking slightly too early. He's an understated winner, but a terrible loser. He spends years complaining indirectly about a lack of team support, but moves to a team with even less team support and wins things.

He's a pretty unique character within cycling, that's for sure. That's probably a good thing - acf's blood pressure couldn't handle any more.

Libertine Seguros said:
Evans is a weird character. He's hard to warm to but his eternal nearly man status has made him an underdog, hence appealing. His talent is enough that he should have a better palmarès than he does, but he seldom goes into races as a favourite. He's been criticised for not attacking - yesterday on Eurosport David Harmon even said "perhaps at last people will stop saying he doesn't attack" - yet yesterday he won because he timed everything perfectly, whereas in 2008 and 2009 at the same race the so-called 'non-attacker' lost the race by attacking slightly too early. He's an understated winner, but a terrible loser. He spends years complaining indirectly about a lack of team support, but moves to a team with even less team support and wins things.

He's a pretty unique character within cycling, that's for sure. That's probably a good thing - acf's blood pressure couldn't handle any more.

He definitely doesn't come across as 'one of the boys'. Probably a result of growing up in relative solitude as a youngster.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I think it is a simple matter of confidence, after getting a HUGE win at Worlds he is simply starting to believe in himself. It is amazing what confidence can do for the racing psyche, I think his win at Fleche will only help in that regard.

I have always been sympathetic to Cadel (kind of a long distance fan if you will), although I can't watch the whole crying bit afterwards.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
Obviously Cadel started 2010 with a new Team and the Rainbow jersey, but I think there has been another major change - attitude.

anyone else notice a change?

You are 6 months too late. I noticed that long ago. No surprise he won a classic. He finished two places behind the team mate he was helping on Sunday in Amstel (Kroon) so he had the form. All it came down to was the right tactics. Classics unfold that way. Sometimes you win, others you make a move too early or leave it till to late. Evans got the timing right on this one. Good for him.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
What a load of toro excrement. To have remained at the level he was throughout his stay with Lotto after 2008 would not have been possible if he was a basket case.There is no overstating the move to BMC was extremely beneficial to Cadel; he knew there was hope at the end of the tunnel after the worlds... Didn't see a Lotto DS or team at the worlds. He helped Gilbert because he was one of the true friends he had at Lotto despite all the words in this forum to the contrary about them. If you had written this at the start of the post I would have realised you were just another dumbA$$ troll and wouldn't have wasted my time commenting on your drivel. That is what racing is all about, it's the same for everyone in the race.;)

Why don't you just come out and say you love more than just the man. Hop of Evans **** for a a second and come back down to earth. It is a forum. If someone gives an opinion about a rider, regardless of whether that person is your real life friend/buddy, they are entitled to it. It does not make them a troll.

The point remains. Evans was in very good form in the later half of 2009 whilst still at Lotto. When he wins a GT your opinion might hold a little more weight. Winning a single classic is a great achievement but over a guy who just won the Castill ya Leon? Yeah, remind those of us who don't carry on and sound like they would engage in sexual congruence with the man at the drop of a hat, who comes out on top come July. Do you honestly think if Gilbert was helping him today had he not left Lotto, he would not have won? His chances of winning would have gone up. Ferminal's points stand. Get back to Barwon Heads and keep it real next time.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Andy.G said:
No, I don't know either of you, except for what I just read ... and you, my son are a complete idiot. I believe you would be out of your depth in a shallow bath. Ride more, race a bit, or at least once and learn what the truth in cycling is all about. I suggest you move to a doping thread - you'll be more engaging to them.

You have to state why a person is an idiot for your point to not be a self reflecting pile of cow dung. Why is Ferminal out of his depth? Reasons, arguments, place them into a coherent logical structure. One glimpse at your post and all it sounds like is another Evans lover getting hot under the collar. You'll be gone next week. How do I know? Evans hardcore lovers who only love Evans, only pop up when he wins. He isn't Contador or Cancellara. He doesn't win every week. Maybe once every few months. Till next time...keep practising the name calling.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Andy.G said:
You did say that Cadel LET HIMSELF DOWN in the kms after he punctured and lost contact waiting out a disastrous wheel change, in the Vuelta ??

Let himself down ??

You dipstick. Go back to AFL. This beautiful sport is obviously beyond you.

No. You are the dipstick. Get your head out of the sun for a second. Evans lost the leader jersey and did little to get it back. Or perhaps you noticed what happened the day of the puncture. Samu fell earlier and was dropped. Samu was over two minutes back. He caught up to Evans, stayed with him for a while and then dropped him. He finished 20 seconds back to Valverde. Evans dropped 1:20 or there abouts with the wheel change. Cadel then lagged to 1:50 for a while until Samu caught him and finished all up 1:30 back at the line from Valverde.

How is that not letting himself down? If Samu could pull the time back, why couldn't Evans? Samu was further back and had fallen. Evans had a bad tyre change. Maybe if your Evans vision was turned off you'd have realised this. Ferminals point was more than valid. It has factual basis. A link between mental cognition and physical performance. There was a discrepancy, but all the Evans fans and the man did was whine. Is the sport beyond you? When Evans is in focus it would seem the answer is a resounding yes. Enjoy the XXXX. Try not to drink while typing next time. Let me guess. You're a Ruddite? Your thinking is in line with one. Queenslanders, good surf, good holidays, home of the authentic Aussie bogans. Thanks for coming. See you at the next race Evans wins.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Edit: Did CN have forums in 2004? I only noticed them in early 2009 (same with a lot of people I think). Were they reset or something? Is there an archive anywhere?

Nope, the number below is what I am on the forum, I joined in the first week

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You are 6 months too late. I noticed that long ago. No surprise he won a classic. He finished two places behind the team mate he was helping on Sunday in Amstel (Kroon) so he had the form. All it came down to was the right tactics. Classics unfold that way. Sometimes you win, others you make a move too early or leave it till to late. Evans got the timing right on this one. Good for him.

I said before look at the worlds, he took that in his own hands there as well, attacked at the right time, he has developed a sprint, which anyone who looked at the Stuttgart Finale will know he didn't have. (Or the numerous occasions he would lose 2-5 seconds on a mountain top finish of a GT, no kick) That sprint kick changes people from an "Also ran" to a "winner".
The attitude has changed with success, but success is from identifying a weakness and plugging that gap.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Unfortunately, with the news coming out of BMC, questions will be asked as to why Evans is suddenly a winner rather than an also ran...

I think it has more to do with the others coming back down to the level playing field ... it seems the testing and the passports may be beginning to work.

Evans is not leaping forward suddenly ... The Cobra's and the TinTin's are getting caught perhaps ??

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Coming from a person who wishes death and pain to Evans contenders i suggest you calm down with calling people "disturbed".

When did I say I wanted a rider dead? when i made a comment about valverde, well it was a slip of the tongue. I have been in an accident on a bike and was close to becoming a parapledgic. I was out of work and all for a two weeks. get your facts right buddy.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
When did I say I wanted a rider dead? when i made a comment about valverde, well it was a slip of the tongue. I have been in an accident on a bike and was close to becoming a parapledgic. I was out of work and all for a two weeks. get your facts right buddy.

How can someone get their facts right about your personal life? They have no forum or life uplink to your day to day life. Almost a paraplegic and out of work for two weeks? I'm not saying your full of it, but you are being dramatic. One does not have such a severe accident and return to work within two weeks. Common sense dude. Common sense. As I said, the guy commenting had no idea what goes on in another forum members daily life. How about some perspective on your behalf next time.

Had enough of being a drama queen? Have your huff over BMC's drug issues and the Storm and take a chill pill dude. I've said it before. If I hated Evans or anyone else I would tell you. I simply have a different opinion of the man, his attitude and relations and their impact on his performances. He is a very, very good rider. I have even stated he is one of a few non sprinters who could win the TDU if he got his act together and played his cards straight. I suggested, to my own ridicule, that he could do a move like at Wilunga this year and it could pay dividends. It almost did. Yeah, I hate Evans (note the sarcasm). If I did I would just say it.

I simply believe he makes mistakes. He is human. I give credit where it is due. I see like others on this forum, that Evans at times does not use his brain in a proficient manner and that results him in suffering the ailment of bridesmaid. That is not hating, but you've been told this before. I call him out for complaining to give perspective and a different approach on how to perceive him. I suspect you're upset about other matters and my comments and tone further aggravated you. I'll let this slide. Hope you get better and get over this bad news with BMC. At least Cadel won a race. At least his team is still going to the Tour. He will do well at either the Tour or Giro. You will have your favourite rider to cheer for and shower with your fanboy love. As I said, relax, take a breath, realise the sky hasn't caved in and this is week has just been drama packed. It will pass. Later dude.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
I said before look at the worlds, he took that in his own hands there as well, attacked at the right time, he has developed a sprint, which anyone who looked at the Stuttgart Finale will know he didn't have. (Or the numerous occasions he would lose 2-5 seconds on a mountain top finish of a GT, no kick) That sprint kick changes people from an "Also ran" to a "winner".
The attitude has changed with success, but success is from identifying a weakness and plugging that gap.

Agreed. He saw the Spaniards stuffing about in Mendrisio marking Cancellara and took advantage of the situation. Same thing with the Mur. Igor Anton went and Contador followed. Evans was the only one making ground. Anton popped and Contador slowed. Evans kept going at the same pace and the final section was less of an incline. This favoured Cadel and he was able to catch Contador. Contador knew that when Evans was on his wheel it was over. Great timing by Cadel. Right form, right unfolding of the race and the right mental approach. I don't think he has a much bigger kick than before (a bit more but nothing monumental), more or less that he paced the entire climb better than everyone else. That is really what all climbs come down to. He got everything right and Contador didn't.

As for attitude, I agree. His attitude is better at BMC. He seemed more pleased last year. Guess he was able to walk away from everything that wasn't working before. A new slate. As has been stated in other threads Evans has almost won Wallone before. He more or less did the same thing this time, only difference is that it it worked better with the race characteristics this year than in 2008. Good for him, the attitude and ego boost will help for confidence in the Giro and Tour.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
How can someone get their facts right about your personal life? They have no forum or life uplink to your day to day life. Almost a paraplegic and out of work for two weeks? I'm not saying your full of it, but you are being dramatic. One does not have such a severe accident and return to work within two weeks. Common sense dude. Common sense. As I said, the guy commenting had no idea what goes on in another forum members daily life. How about some perspective on your behalf next time.

No, I was lucky especially the way I landed that I didn't become one. Still broke some bones etc. FAir enough though.
Don't get how I am being a drama queen? I do disagree with you but I made some over the top comments of frei in the clinic. Just a tad shocked and was a bit stupid after having 3 hours of sleep from watching the fleche win of evans.

I will try to respect and be more understanding of your opinion even if i don't agree with it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Why don't you just come out and say you love more than just the man. Hop of Evans **** for a a second and come back down to earth. It is a forum. If someone gives an opinion about a rider, regardless of whether that person is your real life friend/buddy, they are entitled to it. It does not make them a troll.
HO HO HO ...u break me up... Ferminal and I have discussed this and moved on; he doesn't need SOOOPER HO to come to his rescue.
The point remains. Evans was in very good form in the later half of 2009 whilst still at Lotto. When he wins a GT your opinion might hold a little more weight. Winning a single classic is a great achievement but over a guy who just won the Castill ya Leon?
You forgot to mention how AC drove 1000's of miles just to honour his commitment to the race and he is still recovering from his bad allergies, and that Cadel was wheel sucking until AC blew up.
Do you honestly think if Gilbert was helping him today had he not left Lotto, he would not have won?
Who knows??? Oh that's right you know everything and predict every winner months perhaps years before a race. Oh to have such eternal wisdom.:p:p
Over it.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
HO HO HO ...u break me up... Ferminal and I have discussed this and moved on; he doesn't need SOOOPER HO to come to his rescue.

I noticed. Good for you.:rolleyes: Looks like you enjoyed Cadel's win. I respond to posts as I read them. There are often numerous pages before I get to see all the posts. My screen only shows so many posts at once. I respond then and there. That is often why in threads I have 3-5 consecutive posts. I am not spamming. I am just responding to everything I want as I read it.

You forgot to mention how AC drove 1000's of miles just to honour his commitment to the race and he is still recovering from his bad allergies, and that Cadel was wheel sucking until AC blew up.Who knows??? Oh that's right you know everything and predict every winner months perhaps years before a race. Oh to have such eternal wisdom.:p:p
Over it.

I didn't predict this race, no. Because I didn't care. But yes, I have gotten the five I could be interested in right this year. They were pretty obvious though and many others said the same damn thing. Predicting stage races and classics is not hard. Predicting podiums is another matter. Ok, I had Paris Roubaix top two around the wrong way but I don't care. At least I don't make bland predictions and state "I know which new team Cadel is going to." Forgot that did you? Remember your self justification to BlackCat that you knew but didn't have the nads to say where specifically? You know when BlacCat called BMC before everyone else and all you said was that you knew and wouldn't confirm it. Does it feel good to know Cadel? Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Liege...my money is on Contador. Good to see you didn't argue my points about what was said to Ferminal. There is little you can argue without looking like holding a raging man crush.

As for the Contador excuses. So what, he drove! I didn't know that. Valverde drove but I haven't thrown that as an excuse for his performance and I won't. Evans won and that is what mattered, good for him and bad luck to the rest of the riders. Strongest and smartest guy won. That was Evans. If Contador's performance needs excuses to justify not winning what would you suggest for the other hundred plus riders who finished behind him? What was their excuse? Disrespecting 3rd place disrespects a lot of other guys who busted their butts off. Oh, yeah, Evans, your boy is all that matters. Good luck with the love in.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
No, I was lucky especially the way I landed that I didn't become one. Still broke some bones etc. FAir enough though.
Don't get how I am being a drama queen? I do disagree with you but I made some over the top comments of frei in the clinic. Just a tad shocked and was a bit stupid after having 3 hours of sleep from watching the fleche win of evans.

I will try to respect and be more understanding of your opinion even if i don't agree with it.

I don't care about the gloating. Go for it, but you've already heard from others how bland and bad the "He beat dopers" statements look. One cannot control what others do, especially in cycling. I might make all kinds of predictions etc, and not care if I am accurate or close but the one thing I will not do is say someone is definitely clean. Not in this sport and not with they history and prevalence of doping/cheating in Western culture, more importantly in competitive sports. That would be why you were shocked with the BMC deal. How could you know? $h1t happens and when you're knee deep in it (the dopers) the stench can catch you at any time. I know you gained perspective on the BMC doping matters, so all is good. BMC and the Storm in two days is massive. Very bid thing to take in and comprehend after the elation of your favourite rider beating his nemesis in a classic. Understandable and normal.

Drama queen. I meant in reference to the other poster not knowing about your crash. He had no way of knowing even if he could claim he is a psychic. Any crash is bad. I have not fallen off my bike in years. Seriously, I have not. The last time was on my driveway, but it was on a mountain bike in loose gravel. I hurt my hands after stupidly using them to break my fall after going over the bars. I was fine in a few minutes but still remember how much it hurt.

Kudos to you for riding in Melbourne. It is savage down there on the roads. I have respect for anyone riding regularly on the roads in Sydney or Melbourne. That takes guts. Dangerous and scary. Motorists are hoons in this country and oblivious to cyclists. I am lucky that the only time I have to be really concerned is in the beginning of October around where I live. October brings a massive influx of cars and you could take a rough punt on this info as to my geographical whereabouts.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Can ACF94 or someone else explain why on Evans website there is no racing schedule listed for months after May. His schedule has everything up until the Giro. Is he just lazy or has he announced plans and I missed them? If they have a Tour invite why isn't it up? Shouldn't he be racing the Dauphine in June or the Tour de Suisse?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Can ACF94 or someone else explain why on Evans website there is no racing schedule listed for months after May. His schedule has everything up until the Giro. Is he just lazy or has he announced plans and I missed them? If they have a Tour invite why isn't it up? Shouldn't he be racing the Dauphine in June or the Tour de Suisse?

Remaining races...
liege
giro
tour
worlds

that's it i think.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You should drop him a note on his guestbook and ask him; maybe he will update it just for you.;) , since you are a closet lover boy:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
For goodness sake, stop with the c o c k measuring contest...these threads have become Armstrongesque...If you are a Cadel fan apparently your tongue is so far up Cadels a r s e, Cadel doesn't know whether it is his or yours and if you are not a Cadel fan then you are the biggest b a s t a r d that walked the earth.

I come here to have a laugh and talk about cycling, currently I don't offer opinion on one (and I mean one) of my favourite cyclists, because by the time I have skimmed the s h i t that is posted in these threads you have done my phucking head in.

Currently there are two threads running perhaps it's time to put them all in one and you can do your best to out do each other as to who is the biggest p r i ck for or against Cadel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts