• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans 2010 -what's changed?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nothing's changed apparently. In a post race interview, he disses his team for not being there at the end and then offers a compliment. What an ***. Come the TDF, no one on BMC will ride for the guy.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Nothing's changed apparently. In a post race interview, he disses his team for not being there at the end and then offers a compliment. What an ***. Come the TDF, no one on BMC will ride for the guy.

Yes. I think this is the biggest problem for Evans. I must previse what I am about to say with a disclaimer that I have never met the guy. But I have watched a lot of interviews and races. Correct me if you think I am wrong.

Evans thinks he is better than other people. This is manifest in his anal retentiveness, or obsessive behaviour. It's a doubled edged sword that makes him as brilliant as he is, but unfortunately alienates people too. His fussing is repellant. He has had many team mates in the past who can work for him, but very little who will work for him.

The image of McEwen and Evans after the tour when Evans came second. McEwen is stoked and hugging Evans, who is winging and sulking.

Anyone got what he said?

From the CN story -

"I had a bit of a lapse of concentration leading into the Roche-aux-Facons, but I got back to position good enough. Then it was going and coming back, going and coming back. The only thing I lacked was a teammate. There were a couple of pairs there. There were two Astana, two Caisse d'Epargne and two Saxo Bank. I was on my own and so I had to wait there and gamble a little bit.

"It was a pity not to have the numbers there in the end but we've had a bit of rough time with Karsten (Kroon, who crashed in Fléche Wallonne) and Santambrogio (suspended by the team after being implicated in a doping investigation in Italy). There were a few things beyond our control. I'm happy with how the guys rode, though. There were a couple of young guys here and for them it was the first time they've ridden Liège. That was impressive."

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Not a diss. he said he lacked kroon in the finish with him (which was the team mate he needed) but said it was HIS fault for positioning badly on some of the climbs. He said that the way the team rode was very impressive especially when some of them it was their first liege.
eljimberino said:
Yes. I think this is the biggest problem for Evans. I must previse what I am about to say with a disclaimer that I have never met the guy. But I have watched a lot of interviews and races. Correct me if you think I am wrong.

Evans thinks he is better than other people. This is manifest in his anal retentiveness, or obsessive behaviour. It's a doubled edged sword that makes him as brilliant as he is, but unfortunately alienates people too. His fussing is repellant. He has had many team mates in the past who can work for him, but very little who will work for him.

The image of McEwen and Evans after the tour when Evans came second. McEwen is stoked and hugging Evans, who is winging and sulking.

I will correct you. I think you would be a tad dissapointed when you came 2nd twice by a close margin. Don't see how he thinks he is better than everyone else. The team was not up to it either and it must of been annoying to see saxo with 3 guys up there against 1 guy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Anyone got what he said?

From the CN story -

"I had a bit of a lapse of concentration leading into the Roche-aux-Facons, but I got back to position good enough. Then it was going and coming back, going and coming back. The only thing I lacked was a teammate. There were a couple of pairs there. There were two Astana, two Caisse d'Epargne and two Saxo Bank. I was on my own and so I had to wait there and gamble a little bit.

"It was a pity not to have the numbers there in the end but we've had a bit of rough time with Karsten (Kroon, who crashed in Fléche Wallonne) and Santambrogio (suspended by the team after being implicated in a doping investigation in Italy). There were a few things beyond our control. I'm happy with how the guys rode, though. There were a couple of young guys here and for them it was the first time they've ridden Liège. That was impressive."

Slams his team;) With equal venom or, lack of, like prevous years

karlboss said:
Slams his team With equal venom or, lack of, like prevous years

Hmm, I didn't see it that way, which means I used my preconceptions of him - kind of a harmless goatherd in PR terms - when visualising him saying the words.

Perhaps his soigneur should stand at Cadel's side and hold up coloured smilies :):(:confused:;) and boards that say LOL or ROFL for the journos to copy down while interviewing him. That way, everyone will know where he's at when the monotone starts.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I will correct you. I think you would be a tad dissapointed when you came 2nd twice by a close margin. Don't see how he thinks he is better than everyone else. The team was not up to it either and it must of been annoying to see saxo with 3 guys up there against 1 guy.

Yes, the team is not up to the task of helping their leader be a race winner. Why is that? Because no one wants to ride for him. The entire Australian team wanted to help Gerrans, not Evans in the world championship. Why? Because Gerrans is a cool dude, someone who inspires trust and camaraderie. There was a team who could help Evans, but did not want to.

Guiness goes around to Evans' house to do an interview. Evans makes him feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed when Guiness drops his pen on the couch, staring him down. Evans not aware of the favour Guiness is doing for him. Wont be wanting to hang around as friends after the interview?

In my opinion Evans needs to go out and get ****ed with his teammates.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:
Yes, the team is not up to the task of helping their leader be a race winner. Why is that? Because no one wants to ride for him. The entire Australian team wanted to help Gerrans, not Evans in the world championship. Why? Because Gerrans is a cool dude, someone who inspires trust and camaraderie. There was a team who could help Evans, but did not want to.

Guiness goes around to Evans' house to do an interview. Evans makes him feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed when Guiness drops his pen on the couch, staring him down. Evans not aware of the favour Guiness is doing for him. Wont be wanting to hang around as friends after the interview?

what is the Guinness interview? So gerrans is cool but has no chance of winning so lets ride for him. Makes great sense! That's mexican logic. I know that story is true but the egg was on the other aussies face. If they rode for gerrans and didn't give evans a chance they would of had a dissapointing world championships. Evans also had the form.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think these apparent inferences either exist or don't exist, in the minds of couch bound habitual experts here in the forum ...

Cadel is not my favourite rider, so give away the ridiculous fan-boy paradigm - but one whom I'm, understandably, watching very closely - and he is trying desperately to just ride his bike - and boy, he is doing that well is he not? ... a media king, he isn't, but who really is? even the super savvy media king, LA never got every post race interview or comment right ... and also remember that most of what you read is translated ... Cadel is somewhat pragmatic, yes - to a fault - but he neither slams, whinges or even laments here ... these are observations to explain - not excuse - to a throng of absorbent, un-correctable recording devices moments after a physical exertion so deep, we could only imagine what it must be like to feel those physiological and blood level changes ... most of us couldn't even breathe - let alone talk - let alone think to make sense ... and then we would get translated and interpreted ... often inaccurately due to cultural and language nuances.

The truth really is in there ... we just need to unhitch from the forensic and opinionated examination of every word Cadel says ...

Whether you like him personally or not ... Cadel is doing a good job as Campione du Monde ...

Of course there DOES exist the occasional real venomous dummy spit and unfiltered rhetorical machine-gun spray at team mates or competitors - deserved or not, and they can be pretty entertaining ... Cav comes to mind, often ... and Breschel after the bike change ...

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
That's just it. There is no logic to trust and respect and inspiration. This isnt just about the world championships. How many team mates did Gilbert have yesturday? See him *****ing and moaning?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:
That's just it. There is no logic to trust and respect and inspiration. This isnt just about the world championships. How many team mates did Gilbert have yesturday? See him *****ing and moaning?

You over analyse every word somebody says. I guess you are no different to the rest of the forum. How was he moaning?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:

yes actually

"I was quiet good today. I joined Andy Schleck when he accelerated on the Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons climb, but still Contador came back, and then the rest. Then I was on my own while others had several cards to play. The attacks were flying around and I couldn't react to everything. To respond to those attacks I needed another teammate. Jurgen Van den Broeck was good, did all he could, but he wasn't 100 per cent," Gilbert said.

both of them said they needed a team mate, I think both just state it, neither say their team wasn't good enough.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
yes actually

"I was quiet good today. I joined Andy Schleck when he accelerated on the Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons climb, but still Contador came back, and then the rest. Then I was on my own while others had several cards to play. The attacks were flying around and I couldn't react to everything. To respond to those attacks I needed another teammate. Jurgen Van den Broeck was good, did all he could, but he wasn't 100 per cent," Gilbert said.

both of them said they needed a team mate, I think both just state it, neither say their team wasn't good enough.

+1
"We did have a couple of young guys here, nearly all of them racing Liége for the first time, and I was really impressed with the way they rode sensibly and maturely."

It was tough for them to lose kroon and santambrogio who were going to be cadel's main classics domestiques.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I was just watching again L-B-L & I can't help noticing that Cadel looks "thicker"-"bulkier".............:confused:

Is that your way of saying he looks fat?

I noticed he looked bigger than normal. Maybe it was just his racing kit colours. Racing next to Valverde, Cadel always looks bigger. Similar weight but Valverde is taller by about two inches. Weight spread more evenly across his build.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:

I think Gerrans being leader at the world's may well have had more to do with what he was prepared to pay for support rather than whether or not Evans is a good guy. In any case it was stupid because Gerrans, tough as he is, as nice a guy as he is isn't half the bike rider Evans is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Is that your way of saying he looks fat?

I noticed he looked bigger than normal. Maybe it was just his racing kit colours. Racing next to Valverde, Cadel always looks bigger. Similar weight but Valverde is taller by about two inches. Weight spread more evenly across his build.

So waht are you saying about his build then?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I guess you are no different to the rest of the forum.

No, I am not. For what it's worth I am a massive fan of Evans'. First spotted the young whipper snapper the year Floyd, well, won. Naturally as an aussie I gravitated towards him. My girlfriend says I love him. Not sure if that is true but I have a lot of respect for him.

Last Sept. I was in Colleraine Victoria when the world championship was on. I was riding my bike from Perth to Melbourne via Port Lincoln. Sitting in the Coleraine pub watching the race while the entire town is drunk dancing around me because the races had been cancelled that day and they started drinking early. I stayed in the pub until close just as the race was coming back together, Evans not visible in the race yet. Hope resting on Rogers still.

Found out the next day on the way to Lake Bolac Evans had won. Had to wait a few days while resting in Richmond to watch the last ten minutes on you tube. I can tell you with no reservation and shame, that after the experience I had and watching him come agonisingly close to winning the tour twice, tears welled in my eyes as Keenen ululated 'Evans is still in the big ring'.

The aging Leggett stuttering 'he [Evans] was wise to say wise words.'

So, no I am not like the other people in this forum.

Something has changed in Evans this year, but one thing hasnt. He still does not have a team. Why is that? Will he ever?

TRENDING THREADS