• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

evans, Basso, doping, who's not doping thread!

A

Anonymous

why not just start a "did todays stage winner dope" thread and sticky it for all future races :/

Scarponi is clean! I mean, look at his results. When he got caught for doping, he was "mediocre". And now when he's back, and is clean of course, he just got a loooot better than he was when he was doping. Because doping is bad for your health, I guess!

:confused:

A

Anonymous

Cuddles gets dropped and ACF has to start slinging mud again.:rolleyes:
What other excuse does Cuddles need? Maybe they forgot to hollow out the tubes on his bike and they were solid? Maybe he had a hangnail? Maybe his little piggy really did go to market?

davis_123

BANNED
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Cuddles gets dropped and ACF has to start slinging mud again.:rolleyes:
What other excuse does Cuddles need? Maybe they forgot to hollow out the tubes on his bike and they were solid? Maybe he had a hangnail? Maybe his little piggy really did go to market?

Basso climbed Mortirolo 8 seconds faster than in 06 when he was a convicted doper, I guess riders get better off the sauce

davis_123 said:
Basso climbed Mortirolo 8 seconds faster than in 06 when he was a convicted doper, I guess riders get better off the sauce

it was attempted doping,maybe he was clean

judging ones performance on single climb and comparing to 4 years old performance is dumb,you never know how was he feeling,how much did nibali help,how much effort did he put into mortirolo in 2006,how much desperate was he today to gain some time on evans and arroyo...those are all factors that could help him ride faster

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
davis_123 said:

Or the fact that having the strongest train in pro cycling with the best mountin domestique dragging you up all the climbs before it, meaning you were about as fresh as you would have been at the start of the stage, helps you go fast? Unless you are also insinuating that Scarponi and Nibbles both are definitely doping (as they were able to stick with him), Evans as he has outclimbed basso on at least 2 stages despite having no support whatever, Garzelli as he was able to drop EVERYONE single handedly earlier, etc etc.

honestly-Evans raised lots of doubts the first week-he was really strong & even won an epic stage. but again, he falls short due to the lack of a "team"
Basso, on the other hand, has a strong team, summoned to heavy duty when needed-even more after the blow on L'aquila. Individually, he also has raised questions IMO when he out climbed everyone in the Zoncolan, giving me some flashback to 06, when he eliminated the competition by "hard tempo". today, seems to happen again, but nevertheless he got in Nibali the extra gear he needed after the Mortirolo.
the problem here is that both work with the same coach, so what is it that makes the difference between the two of them?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Or simply Basso targeted the third week with a different approach than last year: less races, more altitude training, getting race kilometers and gains in form during the Giro.

Vino and Evans, on the other hand, came from a succesful spring campaign, kept their shape in the first days, but it started fading midway through the Giro.

Sastre tried to do the same as Basso, but maybe exaggerated with his lack of race days.

And Liquigas is the strongest team simply because the other teams didn't bring their n.1 teams.

With this I'm not saying that rider X or Y is or is not doped.

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Leopejo said:
And Liquigas is the strongest team simply because the other teams didn't bring their n.1 teams.

I don't know if I agree with that; I think you'd be hard pressed, on paper, to find one team better suited for the Giro than Liquigas.

They really seem to be underrated by quite a few people.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
honestly-Evans raised lots of doubts the first week-he was really strong & even won an epic stage. but again, he falls short due to the lack of a "team"
Basso, on the other hand, has a strong team, summoned to heavy duty when needed-even more after the blow on L'aquila. Individually, he also has raised questions IMO when he out climbed everyone in the Zoncolan, giving me some flashback to 06, when he eliminated the competition by "hard tempo". today, seems to happen again, but nevertheless he got in Nibali the extra gear he needed after the Mortirolo.
the problem here is that both work with the same coach, so what is it that makes the difference between the two of them?

Evans just peaked too soon. He was top already at the classics so it's logic his form is just fading away now. Whilst Basso clearly is peaking towards the Giro's third week. He wasn't as strang as Evans and vino in the first week but he now outclimbs them . Conclusion they're losing form :)

Michielveedeebee said:
Evans just peaked too soon. He was top already at the classics so it's logic his form is just fading away now. Whilst Basso clearly is peaking towards the Giro's third week. He wasn't as strang as Evans and vino in the first week but he now outclimbs them . Conclusion they're losing form :)
When you refer to peak (As a term used post 91) in the third week do you refer to hematocrit peaking up? Or explain to me how do you peak in the third week of a GT? Aren't you suposed to be going slower than at the beginning just because your red blood cell count is coming down?:confused:

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
Yes. Which makes anyone saying that one is doping and the other isn't, beyond ***.

+1

And unfortunately, there seem to be some who actually are beyond regarded here.

Ripper said:
That actually is a bit concerning for me.

This is just by memory, but if it serves me correctly then Sastre had the day off as helper and it was Cuesta who pulled on Mortirolo and the full force attack came later than this year.

Not to say he isn't up to old tricks, but there might be other reasons for the fast pace this year.

Leopejo said:
Or simply Basso targeted the third week with a different approach than last year: less races, more altitude training, getting race kilometers and gains in form during the Giro.

Vino and Evans, on the other hand, came from a succesful spring campaign, kept their shape in the first days, but it started fading midway through the Giro.

Sastre tried to do the same as Basso, but maybe exaggerated with his lack of race days.

With this I'm not saying that rider X or Y is or is not doped.

This is also true, as there is no doubt that Vino and Evans came into the Giro on too good of form, meaning they'd have more troubles as the race went on. Also, it does not seem that Evans has ever really gotten stronger as a GT goes on. Basso on the other hand has timed his peak to perfection.

Still, it has been a great Giro to watch. Exciting racing, lots of trades in the lead. A WC (who already won a classic only a short while ago) duking it out for the win and taking a stage. The leader's jersey moving from shoulder to shoulder.

F*cking great stuff!