• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans leaves Omega Pharma - Lotto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's on the team-site http://www.davitamon-lotto.be/

World champion Cadel Evans has decided to invoke the clause of the mutual agreement which provides him the possibility to ride the next seasons on behalf of another team. After five successful years, including two podium places in the Tour de France and the recent victory in Mendrisio, Cadel has decided to take advantage of his increased market value and to look for new challenges.

Well, all you Aussies here must be jumping with joy.

/edit: Now we can finally see Evans won't win a GT no matter what team he is on. :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins to sky, Evans to Garmin? Seems logical.

Apparently his contract offered this possibility and I think Evans is totally right on this. Coucke had no faith anymore after the tour but was oh so glad to have the rainbow jersey in his team next year. Evans can cash in now and he's right in doing so.

pmcg76 said:
So, what is the destination. Sky looks like the most likely destination but they need to sign a few more decent domestiques to be even as strong a Tour team as Lotto.

Sky seems logical, they have a few Aussies. Wouldn't rule out Garmin either. Doubt he'd go for Katusha even though they have have a better GC team.

Sky have Lokvist, Carlstrom, Augustyn, Arvesen, Flecha, Pauwels and to a lesser extent (since they won't be pure domestiques) EBH and Gerrans. Pretty decent team I'd say.

A

Anonymous

oh god.. .well that answers the question of skys gt contender...

and its an obvious move, theres a fairly strong aussie contingent... but it does rather leave me with a dilemma... :confused:

Cadel has decided to take advantage of his increased market value and to look for new challenges.

does that mean, now hes world champion and has won ONE race he thinks he is deserving of more money and lotto told him to stuff it..

Moondance said:
Sky seems logical, they have a few Aussies. Wouldn't rule out Garmin either. Doubt he'd go for Katusha even though they have have a better GC team.

Sky have Lokvist, Carlstrom, Augustyn, Arvesen, Flecha, Pauwels and to a lesser extent (since they won't be pure domestiques) EBH and Gerrans. Pretty decent team I'd say.

All decent riders but who is going to be his support rider on the final climb of a big mountain stage. I am not so sure any of these guys will be there.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
All decent riders but who is going to be his support rider on the final climb of a big mountain stage. I am not so sure any of these guys will be there.

Yep, and then it's gonna be "I don't have a team" all over again.

BTW, how sh!tty is Silence-Lotto now?

They have one guy who can win a big race (Gilbert) one overpaid guy who can finish, at best, 2nd in a handful of classics (Hoste), one guy with promise but next to no wins (van den Broeck), a couple of useful talents (Van Avermaet, Roelants, De Haes, Vanendert) and a bunch of old guys. This is one of the ricest teams out there and their roster now reeks of absolute cr@p.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Yep, and then it's gonna be "I don't have a team" all over again.

On the other hand, it's the contract of his life.

Or, if he goes to Katusha, he has Kirchen and Rodríguez supporting, plus a mega contract (remember Oleg Tinkov left the team because he didn't want to pay over market price for riders while Tchmil, who stayed, was proponent that they should pay whatever it takes to get their guys)

A

Anonymous

maybe "mr clean" cadel like the rest of us didnt think much of a team with Pharma in its name..

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Ummmmm..... Lovkvist. Perhaps you have seen or heard of him. Pink in the Giro this year. Ridden a bunch of top results and is an all-alround good performer.

and sky havnt finished signing people yet... wonder if wegalius has a get out clause, bearing in mind it was cadel who wanted him at lotto..

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
On the other hand, it's the contract of his life.

Or, if he goes to Katusha, he has Kirchen and Rodríguez supporting, plus a mega contract (remember Oleg Tinkov left the team because he didn't want to pay over market price for riders while Tchmil, who stayed, was proponent that they should pay whatever it takes to get their guys)

Might be a clash of ego's at Katusha. They prolly want to put a sprinter in there and Kirchen will want a free role. Rodriguez is the perfect domestique, but is he willing to wreck himself for Evans the way he did for Valverde? I highly doubt it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
maybe "mr clean" cadel like the rest of us didnt think much of a team with Pharma in its name..

The only people who call him "mr clean" are the same who years ago called Hamilton and Rebellin the same.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum :p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
But will SKY pay for his bodyguard? :D

Well, at his biography launch this week (Wednesday night, Sydney) the question was asked specifically about the Bodyguard.

Cadel stated categorically it was a team management choice and had NOTHING to do with him and he no say in the matter at all.

Now 4 days later, we can see why he started making sure the facts are out there.

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
The only people who call him "mr clean" are the same who years ago called Hamilton and Rebellin the same.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum :p

or the aussies... actually i personally think he is, i dont think he was, you cant end up with a face like that unless youve done a few drugs in your past...

Wow- just read the news...
the fact that Evans is "finally making moves" is quite good for his career & better his chances of wining a grand tour(either Giro or Vuelta, nor TDF)-although I believe is a bit late, considering his age.
If he's looking to be team leader for a couple of years-Katusha is the option, because Sky will eventually get Wiggins and many others with better prospective than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS