• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans trades saddle for fence on LA investigation

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
I'd have to see the statements in question to decide for sure, but I don't believe it's that organized. The statements like those made by Evans that are being discussed in this thread seems to fall out logically from a few basic propagandistic notions that seem to be promoted by everyone in the peloton, and then echoed by the press and fans. Again, they pander to the ignorance.

"Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport". [1]-Cadel Evans, towing the Omerta party line.

I think 95% of ProTeam pros don't get called by the media for comment on these cases. I think the UCI knows this, and has their PR people get in touch with certain "friendly" riders to help manage the perception by the press. Within an hour of that story breaking, Evans was giving quotes that virtually matched what McQuaid was saying later in the day. Both were echoing what AC said from the beginning.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
I was asked what I would have to see to believe things are improving. My answer is seeing guys like Evans confirm the stuff Landis talked about, but not necessarily the same details. It couldn't be the same details due to not being on the same teams. But every team has similar stories, and when I see guys like Evans tell those stories then I'll know things are improving.

But as long as Evans and other continue to repeat the Omerta party lines like the laughable claim that cycling bosses are doing the right thing to clean up the sport I'll know nothing is changing significantly.

Stop defending Evans. He is in it just as deep as all the rest, and his words clearly reveal that.

No you just and your other troll friends just like to twist words around for the heck of it just to confirm in your own minds that someone is doping. You all need something to bithch about and doping is an issue that you can do that. Why the **** am I reading this stupid thread? Some people are sooo ridiculous!

You are just in denial that cycling is cleaning up.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
No you just and your other troll friends just like to twist words around for the heck of it just to confirm in your own minds that someone is doping. You all need something to bithch about and doping is an issue that you can do that. Why the **** am I reading this stupid thread? Some people are sooo ridiculous!

Would you be so defensive if it were somebody else?

auscyclefan94 said:

Nice ad hominem attacks.

Cycling is cleaning up? Yeah, that's what they said after Festina, after Tyler, after Puerto, after Floyd, etc. They just find a new way to spin the same story about cycling being cleaned up, and suckers keep buying it. The latest version of the story is based on the notion that the passport system is changing everything. As Floyd explained, the passport system is a joke. Don't you get it? The system is rigged as much as "big time wresting" is rigged on TV. It's a big show to get you and me to watch commercials. Most everyone in the system greatly benefits monetarily from the doping. The economic forces involved are overwhelming. There is no point for clean riders to even participate. That's why guys like Evans aren't even outraged when others are caught cheating. The game they're all playing is the same: if you don't test positive, you're not doping. If you do, too bad for you, but it's not that big of a deal.

I say again, even if Armstrong is finally caught this time, that's no thanks to Evans' "cycling bosses". I'm not twisting his words. These are his words:

"Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport". [1]

Anything the cycling bosses are doing to clean up the sport is to create the appearance that the sport is getting cleaned up. No one is really serious about it.

Ninety5rpm said:
Nice ad hominem attacks.

Cycling is cleaning up? Yeah, that's what they said after Festina, after Tyler, after Puerto, after Floyd, etc. They just find a new way to spin the same story about cycling being cleaned up, and suckers keep buying it. The latest version of the story is based on the notion that the passport system is changing everything. As Floyd explained, the passport system is a joke. Don't you get it? The system is rigged as much as "big time wresting" is rigged on TV. It's a big show to get you and me to watch commercials. Most everyone in the system greatly benefits monetarily from the doping. The economic forces involved are overwhelming. There is no point for clean riders to even participate. That's why guys like Evans aren't even outraged when others are caught cheating. The game they're all playing is the same: if you don't test positive, you're not doping. If you do, too bad for you, but it's not that big of a deal.

I say again, even if Armstrong is finally caught this time, that's no thanks to Evans' "cycling bosses". I'm not twisting his words. These are his words:

Anything the cycling bosses are doing to clean up the sport is to create the appearance that the sport is getting cleaned up. No one is really serious about it.

Even if there are less dopers going around today, as long as a high-end program can easily evade controls then the sport can never be considered "cleaning up". It's just as easy to be on a Ferrari program and avoid a positive in 2010 as it was in 2001. Possibly easier today, if ya know what I mean

Ninety5rpm said:
Nice ad hominem attacks.

Totally agree. Exactly how i look at it. When people tell me cycling is clean now, i think back to 1999 when the exact same thing was being said. And back to the early 90's when people didnt even know what epo was, though everyone was doing it.

And its not limited to this thing of ours either. Every sport keeps coming out and claiming their guys must be clean because no tests have been failed.

Even when the previous 10 guys to break the world record where doped to the gills, the latest one is proof that cheaters can be beaten:rolleyes:
Ferminal said:
Even if there are less dopers going around today, as long as a high-end program can easily evade controls then the sport can never be considered "cleaning up". It's just as easy to be on a Ferrari program and avoid a positive in 2010 as it was in 2001. Possibly easier today, if ya know what I mean

Obviously im in the camp that believes doping is still really rife.

But why would it be easier today?

The Hitch said:
Totally agree. Exactly how i look at it. When people tell me cycling is clean now, i think back to 1999 when the exact same thing was being said. And back to the early 90's when people didnt even know what epo was, though everyone was doing it.

And its not limited to this thing of ours either. Every sport keeps coming out and claiming their guys must be clean because no tests have been failed.

Even when the previous 10 guys to break the world record where doped to the gills, the latest one is proof that cheaters can be beaten:rolleyes:

Obviously im in the camp that believes doping is still really rife.

But why would it be easier today?

Because of what happened in 2001 ;)

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
You could say cycling is changing but it's only a fantasy. When you have the TDF winner going down for a banned substance, the feds jumping on a 7 time winner, and the landis affair in such a small time frame you have got to be joking when you say it's cleaning up. Look at the last 10 years and say it's cleaning up..It's a delusion.

Actually, IF it's cleaning up, it's only logical that the winners will continue to get caught until doping is completely eradicated, as the ones still doping would still be getting an advantage. It's entirely possible that the percentage of riders who dope is the same as in the 90s, but as long as the depth and impact of their programs can be progressively reduced (by having tighter tests and tools like the biological passport), theoretically we could reach a point where doping doesn't give enough of an advantage to be worth the risk. Theoretically.

I think there's reason to be moderately optimistic about the future.

TRENDING THREADS