• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I 100% agree with this. Banter is good, and healthy.

@el pist.
You don't get it i see. This isn't a boonen thread, it is an evans thread, thus a boonen what if situation really doesn't have any place here ;) But wait, here we've been discussing evans abilities, and as youngest mentioned (big engine, gutsy rider etc) evans has the attributes that seem like he could do quite well in RVV and races alike. It appears there are a number of posters agree, so why you are making a big deal out of what is only a 'what if' situation is beyond me. You've already stated that you disagree, no need to further whine. ;)

I'm not whining.

Cuddles could do well in Flanders and Roubaix if he focused on it at the start of his career or half way in. But not now. It's too late for him

I just made a comparison with a certain cyclist I shall not name here anymore to make an analogy to further prove my point.

As long as you have talent you can get far in cycling. You need to focus on what you love doing. For Cuddles that was GTs. He made his choices and there's no turning back.

Cuddles has talent hence he could have perhaps won Flanders if he focused his career on it, but he didn't. I can say the same about other cyclists(he who shall not be named here for example)
It doesn't make the Tour of Flanders field weak at all. Because in the end, even if Cuddles won, someone with talent would have won ;) That doesn't mean Flanders has a not so strong field, it means the opposite. Someone without talent CANNOT win Flanders PERIOD

If you think you can, then why don't you enter yourself and try your chances. ;)

Ps: Cuddles doesn't have the mental power to win Flanders.

I gave you a lot of strong cyclists who excel at more then just cobbles(besides Devolder and Flecha), but consider Flanders or Roubaix to be their greatest goal. I fail to see how that can't be a strong field. It is a strong field.

I notice Parrulos post has been deleted.

But that one actually adressed Evans in Ronde.

Only a slight digression from "Evans change of approach".

Actually id say it fits in perfectly to the debate - is Evans right to" change his approach".

Or did he delete it himself.

The Hitch said:
I notice Parrulos post has been deleted.

But that one actually adressed Evans in Ronde.

Only a slight digression from "Evans change of approach".

Actually id say it fits in perfectly to the debate - is Evans right to" change his approach".

Or did he delete it himself.

i didn't delete it. i just said evans could do very well on the ronde and and gave di luca's and valverde's names as other riders who could do it and then said why i thought they never focused on that particular race.

but meh who cares

p.s. i only mentioned di luca and valverde cus their names had been mentioned before by other people

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm not whining.

Cuddles could do well in Flanders and Roubaix if he focused on it at the start of his career or half way in. But not now. It's too late for him

I just made a comparison with a certain cyclist I shall not name here anymore to make an analogy to further prove my point.

As long as you have talent you can get far in cycling. You need to focus on what you love doing. For Cuddles that was GTs. He made his choices and there's no turning back.

Cuddles has talent hence he could have perhaps won Flanders if he focused his career on it, but he didn't. I can say the same about other cyclists(he who shall not be named here for example)
It doesn't make the Tour of Flanders field weak at all. Because in the end, even if Cuddles won, someone with talent would have won ;) That doesn't mean Flanders has a not so strong field, it means the opposite. Someone without talent CANNOT win Flanders PERIOD

If you think you can, then why don't you enter yourself and try your chances. ;)

Ps: Cuddles doesn't have the mental power to win Flanders.

you do realize thet reality prooves you wrong right?? all I have to say is boogerd, Ivanov and even David millar last year. when guys like rast can be with the first on the muur it means the race doesn't mean much. ever wondered why a guy like barotli, vdb would be with the best in flanders and then win lbl 3 weeks later?? because they peaked 3 weaks later and 90% could go with guys like museeuw or van petegem on cobbled climbs. that's why I;m sure cancellara could do the same in the future and evans has such an incredible engine he would only be stronger the longer the race goes, can be compared to boogerd. and it's never too old to re focus. especially not today.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
By the way am I the only one who thinks his current program is still too heavy? It's obviously better than last year because no Giro, but other than that, I think it's still too much if he really doesn't want to arrive tired at the Tour. That depends what he'll do in those races though. He could just do an Andy Schleck and soft peddle through his entire program. But that would make me hate him even more(and the only reason I hate him is because ACF :p)

El Pistolero said:
By the way am I the only one who thinks his current program is still too heavy? It's obviously better than last year because no Giro, but other than that, I think it's still too much if he really doesn't want to arrive tired at the Tour. That depends what he'll do in those races though. He could just do an Andy Schleck and soft peddle through his entire program. But that would make me hate him even more(and the only reason I hate him is because ACF :p)

ya i also think his program is still to heavy. and he isn't the kind of guy who soft pedals

It should be OK, he can still ride hard during Ardennes week and have 5-6weeks off before warming up for the Tour at the Dauphine.

But he is doing Romandie which I don't quite understand. Is it to do with some sort of transition from the classics to the May training block? Might as well do the first week of the Giro...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
ACF's corrected program is:

Giro Del Friuli
Monte Paschi Eroica
Tirenno Adriatico
Catalunya
Amstel
Fleche
Leige (or Romandie)
Dauphine

That's only 27 (or 32) racing days. I don't think that's too much.

Ah, ACF first had Pais Vasco on it as well. Yeah, that's a better one.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
NOOOO!

Cuddles is a great GT rider. hes had bad luck and hes screwed himself a few times but im sure hes still one of the best out there. To say

The stage Samu dropped Contador was Morzine.

Now the way this thread has been going, you or someone else will no doubt give me some crap about how it doesnt count because a) Contador won overall, b) Samu had a motor in his bike, c) he let it happen d) he could have won if he wanted to e) he had accelerated too much earlier, f) he doesnt care about Sanchez g) Samu was doped h) he was faking it i) he wanted to make future stages more interesting for tv viewers j) he doesnt like Morzine, k) he had peaked 3 times already l) 10 seconds doesnt matter m) he was off form, n) Samu was invisable o) He let Sanchez go cos their friends p) He let Sanchez go cos their enemies q) He let Sanchez go cos their spanish r) He let Sanchez go cos Sanchez knew about the steak to be delivered s) He wanted Andrew to win a stage t) He had a puncture u) Andrew had put beer in his water v) Andrew put clenbueterol in his water w) Lance had put clenbuterol in his water x) Lance had put chlorophyl in his water y) the steak he ate that day had no clen in it or z) He didnt know the stage was about to finish.

I dont care. It doesnt matter. Samu dropped him on that one stage.

End of :cool:

And then theres Aix-3-Domaines where Gesink was dropped, then got back to the favourites group, sat the pace and suddenly baby Schleck and clendoper was dropped by Samu and Menchov.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
And then theres Aix-3-Domaines where Gesink was dropped, then got back to the favourites group, sat the pace and suddenly baby Schleck and clendoper was dropped by Samu and Menchov.

And we all know why that happened.

Because AC and AS didn't care for Samu hence they let him go. Like the peloton lets loose untalented cyclists for a breakaway. Not that Samu is untalented, far from it.

But you can act ignorant all you want and think Samu actually dropped Contador. We all know it's not true except for the stage AS won.

Tour is three weeks, Contador dropped Samu big time on a few stages.

Cuddles will not be able to beat Contador or AS, so stop dreaming.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
this forum has been a bit agressive/grumoy the past few days

anyway

i do agree with people saying cadel would have a better carrer if he had focused on the classics and doing well in RVV isn't that absurd. i doubt he would win but he could do well. gilbert has been third twice after all.

btw biopass if you think contador no longer has the acceleration he used to have i invite you to re watch this year's L-B-L and see how he bridges up to schleck and gilbert on la redoutte

Come on. Do i really need to mention FW? Where clendoper lost to the guy whom he is suppose to be superior in everyway since 2007?

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And we all know why that happened.

Because AC and AS didn't care for Samu hence they let him go. Like the peloton lets loose untalented cyclists for a breakaway. Not that Samu is untalented, far from it.

But you can act ignorant all you want and think Samu actually dropped Contador. We all know it's not true except for the stage AS won.

Tour is three weeks, Contador dropped Samu big time on a few stages.

Cuddles will not be able to beat Contador or AS, so stop dreaming.

I have stated one thing and i will state it again since somehow you have missed it. I didnt state that Cuddles is gonna beat Contador, i just stated he will have a chance to win the tour, if he makes his preparation right.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
Someone stateted that clendoper has developed into a better rider in everyway since 2007

Mate... that is just BS...
2007 He won Le tour...
2008... Giro - Vuelta
2009... several races and Le Tour with his own team agaisnt him, with a massive attack in Verbier and beating the c0cky c0ck in the TT
2010... Algarve, CyL, P-N, 3rd FW in his 1st time there, 2nd Dauphiné and won Le Tour...

What else do you want??? How can you say that He hasn't became a better rider since 2007? Is OK that you are a hater but if you dont want to see the truth I can't help it...

18390c22_7da3_e51a.gif

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Mate... that is just BS...
2007 He won Le tour...
2008... Giro - Vuelta
2009... several races and Le Tour with his own team agaisnt him, with a massive attack in Verbier and beating the c0cky c0ck in the TT
2010... Algarve, CyL, P-N, 3rd FW in his 1st time there, 2nd Dauphiné and won Le Tour...

What else do you want??? How can you say that He hasn't became a better rider since 2007? Is OK that you are a hater but if you dont want to see the truth I can't help it...

But why is it he wasnt the superior rider last year, compared to the monster he was in 2009? And still failed a drug test?

Once again, connect the dots. Its not that hard.

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, Sanchez never dropped Contador.

Contador was peaking for the third time already that season while Samu did nothing before july like usual.
Oh forgive me, he won a stage at the Basque country where he couldn't even beat Chris Horner for the overall. And he got dropped by Contador in P-N in pretty much every stage.

Why did Horner beat Samu in País Vasco?

Samu lost 1'39" when Valverde and the Caisse d'Epargne boys put the pressure on a small climb in stage 1 when the wind was blowing and split up the field.

From that point on Samu was never outside the top 5. He took a couple of seconds out of him on the Arrate, beat him to the finish at Orio, but lost 23 seconds in the ITT.

At no point did Horner outclimb Samu, and if they'd come in to the ITT closer I don't know whether Samu could have ridden any better with national/regional pride on the line (I know, he's an Asturian, but an orange jersey in the Euskal Herriko Itzulia = massive support).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Why did Horner beat Samu in País Vasco?

Samu lost 1'39" when Valverde and the Caisse d'Epargne boys put the pressure on a small climb in stage 1 when the wind was blowing and split up the field.

From that point on Samu was never outside the top 5. He took a couple of seconds out of him on the Arrate, beat him to the finish at Orio, but lost 23 seconds in the ITT.

So unless he was in the back because of a mechanical he should've been at the front.

At no point did Horner outclimb Samu, and if they'd come in to the ITT closer I don't know whether Samu could have ridden any better with national/regional pride on the line (I know, he's an Asturian, but an orange jersey in the Euskal Herriko Itzulia = massive support).

He still lost didn't he. It's like saying someone crashed in the ronde van Vlaanderen and saying he would've won otherwise. You only really crash in races like that if you're not in the front. Otherwise you have bike handling problems. If he was at the front he wouldn't have lost that time, but he wasn't.

He was what? 2 minutes back? He lost, no excuses to be made.

Samu didn't do nearly as much as Contador in the pre-tour season. And Contador still easily outclimbed him at the Tour even though he had peaked 3 times already that season. To say he dropped Contador twice is a lie. Only once and it was just in an uphill sprint anyway. Contador isn't the fasted chap around when it comes to finishing sprints. He usually wins solo.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Contador isn't the fasted chap around when it comes to finishing sprints. He usually wins solo.

Isnt Contador supposed to be the 'master' of explosive attacks, hence he should be good at MTF Sprints either seeing explosiveness decides?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Isnt Contador supposed to be the 'master' of explosive attacks, hence he should be good at MTF Sprints either seeing explosiveness decides?

He doesn't really ever win a mountain stage unless he dropped them all. If someone's with him he usually doesn't win.

I think his real power lies in how many times he can accelerate in a single climb. It discourages climbers as the climb is usually still a long way to go and you have someone accelerating over and over again. If they would try and follow him with 3km to go they would explode, but if the finish is near than there's no danger of exploding anymore and you can go full out.

But Contador does have the tendency to gift stages away, at least it seems that way. So we'll see this year how explosive he really is as I don't think he's going to hold back in the Giro or gift stages away.

TRENDING THREADS