• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Why did Horner beat Samu in País Vasco?

Samu lost 1'39" when Valverde and the Caisse d'Epargne boys put the pressure on a small climb in stage 1 when the wind was blowing and split up the field.

From that point on Samu was never outside the top 5. He took a couple of seconds out of him on the Arrate, beat him to the finish at Orio, but lost 23 seconds in the ITT.

At no point did Horner outclimb Samu, and if they'd come in to the ITT closer I don't know whether Samu could have ridden any better with national/regional pride on the line (I know, he's an Asturian, but an orange jersey in the Euskal Herriko Itzulia = massive support).
That climb on stage 1 was rather steep, Horner most definitely outclimbed Sanchez there. Sanchez said afterwards that he had a bad day, and that he had no idea why. On the Eibar stage, Sanchez (plus Valverde and Gesink) only caught Horner on the descent. Horner outclimbed him there as well.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He still lost didn't he. It's like saying someone crashed in the ronde van Vlaanderen and saying he would've won otherwise. You only really crash in races like that if you're not in the front. Otherwise you have bike handling problems. If he was at the front he wouldn't have lost that time, but he wasn't.

He was what? 2 minutes back? He lost, no excuses to be made.

Samu didn't do nearly as much as Contador in the pre-tour season. And Contador still easily outclimbed him at the Tour even though he had peaked 3 times already that season. To say he dropped Contador twice is a lie. Only once and it was just in an uphill sprint anyway. Contador isn't the fasted chap around when it comes to finishing sprints. He usually wins solo.

No one is making excuses for Samu to loose time on El Pais. But when it comes to he then suddenly theres alot of excuses for things didnt went according to masterplan. Supposed to have peaked 3 times during 28 days of pre-tour racing, apparently no longer the fastest chap when the its going uphill, other riders not talented enough to be considered as threads to the overall classification.

yada yada yada yada.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
No one is making excuses for Samu to loose time on El Pais. But when it comes to he who recently avoided saction, then suddenly theres alot of excuses for things didnt went according to masterplan. Supposed to have peaked 3 times during 28 days of pre-tour racing, apparently no longer the fastest chap when the its going uphill, other riders not talented enough to be considered as threads to the overall classification.

yada yada yada yada.

Peaked at Algarve, peaked at Paris-Nice, peaked at the Ardennes classics, peaked at the Tour. His words by the way, I think he knows better then you when he peaked and when he didn't.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Is it so difficult to talk about Evans?

Yeah, sorry lol.

There's really not that much to say, he has a lighter program this year so he's putting all his eggs in one race... The Tour. A race he honestly can't win anymore. He's not going to beat Andy Schleck and if you can't do that than you have no chance in winning the Tour.

The person who beats Andy will win the Tour of 2011. And it won't be Cuddles ;)

What's more important, will BMC actually get a win this year with Evans racing less?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Samu didn't drop Contador, Contador let Samu ride away because he saw no danger in someone like that. He was soft peddling up the mountains looking at Schleck the whole time. The fact they could only take 10 seconds is quite sad if you ask me. Shows how big the gap is between the first tier climbers and the second tier climbers.

you're becoming more defensive about Contador than me about Evans. Take a deep breath!:D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
you're becoming more defensive about Contador than me about Evans. Take a deep breath!:D

I make jokes about him being caught with clen, so nah, I'm okay :p

But I hope Cuddles doesn't have some bad luck for the third time in a row as I'm curious to see where he actually stands among the other contenders, he's quite a question mark for me. Well, we know he ain't better than Contador or Schlecklett, but how he rates against the others will be interesting to follow for me at the Tour de bore this year.

Evan's probably will ride the Romandie as it is a race he has used in the past as preparation. It is a good race with a time trial and a fair amount of hard climbing.

I think my favourite Evan's moment is when he blew past Contador in the Fleche last year with about 100 metres to go. Contador's double take and desperate grimace was priceless. Evan's is supposed to be meticulous with his preparation and I think the change of plan could be good for him re the races later in the season. At least he is trying something and looking for improvement. It might mean he holds it together better in the third week of the TDF. That seems top be the plan.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Change of approach at what level? in what capacity?

He has certainly changed his approach to the season.

You can change bikes, weight, schedule, teams, team mates, tactics, attitude etc. all of which he has done.

However one can never change one's body type. As good as he looks now, as well as he prepares, as persistent as he will be, he can't change his body type. He does not have the capacity to adjust to or create the necessary surges and changes in tempo in the critical mountain stages to win a grand tour.

he might sit is wait like this past week and worlds and benefit from others miscalculations certain races. but the probability of that over 3 weeks is a goose egg

is there anyone here who thinks he can match the accelerations in the mountains and recover between them fast enough to create his own attacks? It is just not his MO as a rider. Mentally he wants to but....and tries too but...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Evans will come to the TDF exhausted with this schedule if he is trying to win every race he enters like we saw in T-A.

I dunno. The Tour is a long way away. Cadel said that T-A wasn't one of his main goals, so he's got to feel great about winning it (unlike Basso who said T-A was one of his goals and who has to be feeling pretty disappointed now). Cuddles can relax for a bit with the pressure of an early season win removed. My guess is he won't kill himself at Catalunya so he'll be fresh for the Ardennes classics, then rest up a bit before the Tour peak.

Admirable his tenacious spirit might be, Evans has shown the inabliity to dial back his efforts in the races preceding the Tour. Like Valverde and Contador, he competes in every event he enters. He's not there just to roll in just under the time limit unlike a certain rider that I won't name here. This would explain his statements that he's entered the Tour fatigued every year. Not that a reduced number of race days prior to the Tour will make that much of a difference come July, especially with this year's parcours. He'd be smart to get the results that he can leading up to the Tour and then hope for an injury/sickness free 3 weeks of racing for himself so that he can at least give a good showing to make up for the past 2 years of Tour disappointment.

Regardless, at this stage in his career he's not going to start climbing like Pantani, so the best he can realistically hope for is a podium spot unless something catastrophic happens to a certain rider. Without Contador's presence Evans has a better chance of a podium spot. I'd personally prefer an Evans win over that of the supposed favorite for this year's Tour. Anyone but that guy. I think his head would grow to even more astronomical proportions and we as fans would be bombarded with his face and quotes until holding one's lunch would be a perpetual challenge.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
I dunno. The Tour is a long way away. Cadel said that T-A wasn't one of his main goals, so he's got to feel great about winning it (unlike Basso who said T-A was one of his goals and who has to be feeling pretty disappointed now). Cuddles can relax for a bit with the pressure of an early season win removed. My guess is he won't kill himself at Catalunya so he'll be fresh for the Ardennes classics, then rest up a bit before the Tour peak.

It was his first race which he didn't have overly good form and still won. That's pleasing. I am not expecting much from him at Catalunya tbh.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:
Has he said anything about targeting the overall in races like Pais Vasco, Tour de Romandie or Dauphiné?

You have to be pretty dumb to try and win the Dauphine if you want to win the Tour. Do well in it, yes. Win? No.

Just ask Armstrong, or even Contador.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He has no chance at the Tour anyway, so he might as well win as much as he can. I seriously don't understand why so many cyclists try for the Tour when they know they can't beat AS or AC.

El Pistolero said:
He has no chance at the Tour anyway, so he might as well win as much as he can. I seriously don't understand why so many cyclists try for the Tour when they know they can't beat AS or AC.

Evans has a chance. AS is the favourite but Evans was, off form for much of the Giro and still took it close to Ivan who is a favourite for the Tour. He hasnt really been on top form for a gt since 2008. If he can go into Tour 100% and As makes a mistake somewhere and Bada bing bada boom, Evans will be there to pounce.

He can take AS in a tt, and Andrew doesnt have enough balls to attack anywhere other than a mtf. The ttt will unfortunately probably be decisive.

Anyway great too see Cuddles getting another win in his great career.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
is there anyone here who thinks he can match the accelerations in the mountains and recover between them fast enough to create his own attacks? It is just not his MO as a rider. Mentally he wants to but....and tries too but...

No one thinks he can match the accelerations by the likes of clenboy and Andy. But unless they do their tango in july, Andy wont set a pace that cracks his own brother. And when Andy wont drop his own brother, a chasing group of outsiders with the likes of Evans, Basso, Sanchez and Gesink will be right behind them.

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

I love your attitude, i cant win so why try, Very Inspiring

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
No chance to win. He won't win a race this year.
:p

bettiniphoto_0073935_1_full_150.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Has he said anything about targeting the overall in races like Pais Vasco, Tour de Romandie or Dauphiné?

Not doing Pais vasco and possibly not romandie...

Be careful Dutch mafia and other nay sayers, Evans will strike you down :D
bettiniphoto_0073949_1_full_600.jpg

TRENDING THREADS