• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I analysed the situation more in depth and i must say that things don't look as grim as i thought they where. Long story short and if i exclude worst and best case scenarios.

if Roglič doesn't get dropped till and including Tignes i am upping my prediction for overall from 15% to 25% and in such case Roglič likely already being in top 5 (or higher).

Reactions: Sandisfan
The one absolute certainty we have is the fact "if" Roglic has the legs, he'll attack.

Remember stage 2 of the 2019 Vuelta after the team time trial crash day 1? Boom, Roglic attacked to make up some time. So it could really happen at any time starting from this weekend, depending on how he feels & whether the injuries permit it.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Roglič has been given the one spot Slovenia has in the Olympic ITT. For the road race Pogačar, Tratnik and Polanc will join him in the team.
Where did you get that from? It's a strange decision and strange timing regarding the ITT. Pogačar just smashed the Tour time trial, comfortably beating everybody, including Roglič. Based on that, Pogi should be the one getting the TT spot. I know Primož has been injured, but that should have been taken into account and at least wait until stage 20 to pick the right guy. Unless there's some kind of a deadline, I don't know about that.

Where did you get that from? It's a strange decision and strange timing regarding the ITT. Pogačar just smashed the Tour time trial, comfortably beating everybody, including Roglič. Based on that, Pogi should be the one getting the TT spot. I know Primož has been injured, but that should have been taken into account and at least wait until stage 20 to pick the right guy. Unless there's some kind of a deadline, I don't know about that.

But Tratnik smashed Pogačar on nationals? What i am trying to say is best to leave it to them to sort it out. Fans should not have all that much say.

P.S. And there is still one TT left in this Tour.

Strange timing to announce for sure, maybe the decision was already taken before the ITT. Maybe there is some inner deal that we don't know: one of them going for medal at the TT and the other being the leader for the road race. This would make sense (last year at WC it was Pog who sacrificed himself for Rog).

I was thinking the same thing. As much as I am a fan of Primoa, the decision to favour him over Pogi for TT spot is weird to say the least. I mean this is not a charity event where loser (harsh word to describe Primoa but he was beaten) gets the consolation prize of an Olympic TT spot. That‘s why I am convinced it is Pogacar who gave up his chances to contend for the spot as opposed to Primoz being selected by the coach over Pogi. The reasoning by Pogacar is very clear to me: he will likely win a TDF which is as big prize as one could possibly ask for and if he went to Olympic TT and blew it, there would be a big negative reaction in his home country for “spending” the spot. On top of that, this could be Primoz’s last chance while Pogi will most likely get a couple of them. So the probably the risk/responsibility is just not worth the prize for Pogi.

Yes. And in my opinion it is rather pointless to discuss this now. Such decision should be made after the Tour and based on the route reckoning and reaching agreement in between riders. Maybe we assume all of them want to do something and that might not even be the case.

For me the only thing that complicated things a bit (only two events available) is Tratnik is a national TT champion. This isn't something you can just disregard as not being relevant.

But i am sure that they will sort it out in the end.

Yes. And in my opinion it is rather pointless to discuss this now. Such decision should be made after the Tour and based on the route reckoning and reaching agreement in between riders. Maybe we assume all of them want to do something and that might not even be the case.

For me the only thing that complicated things a bit (only two events available) is Tratnik is a national TT champion. This isn't something you can just disregard as not being relevant.

But i am sure that they will sort it out in the end.
Well it was published so it's not pointless to discuss. It may have been pointless to publish but now it's too late and we're discussing it. You are free to refrain from discussing it yourself of course;)

Another race ruined by a crash... this is getting hard to watch now... Dauphine last year, consequently not being 100% in the Tour, Paris-Nice this year, Tour this year... it is just sad... so much preparation, commitment and effort going down the drain in basically every second race he does...
He was fine at the Tour last year. Didn't look like the crash affected him.
I think racing in junior ranks means considerably when it comes to instinct.
Implicitly teaches riders and develops sense.

Reactions: jmdirt
He was fine at the Tour last year. Didn't look like the crash affected him.

He was not able to sit on the TT bike for six weeks. From the crash in the Dauphine to the ITT on stage 20. In the Jumbo Visma documentary he said before the stage that he still felt pain amd discomfort when getting into the TT position. It affected his racing on the road bike less, but one imagines that being off the bike for 10 days before the Tour is not the best prep.