• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 163 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was almost in tears laughing when he has handed a rain jacket at the top of the climb behind Bernal & calmly dropped it on the road... before grabbing a newspaper & shoving it down his chest.

Roglic is a traditionalist & someone who learns from past disasters.
"They taught me to use newspaper as a wee little cyclist of 22 years old"

Yeah, that was a career defining win.
The most impressive thing about him is his hunger. After a big win or a big loss/setback he always comes back and wants to win right again. I guess it must be mentally taxing, but there are no prep races for him and it looks like he wants to win all the time.
Heard he can knock back a few at the end-of-season party and in the off-season

Reactions: gregrowlerson
240954398-370384894635174-6770321080061452810-n.jpg

I was almost in tears laughing when he has handed a rain jacket at the top of the climb behind Bernal & calmly dropped it on the road... before grabbing a newspaper & shoving it down his chest.

Roglic is a traditionalist & someone who learns from past disasters.
I watched in horror for an instant as Roglic was handed that rain jacket. It looked extra ill-fitting and unwieldy. When he calmly dropped it on the ground, I thought: "He's got this."

While Roglic could crack or crash; Mas is already riding the form of his young career. It wouldn't be a loss for him to merely get on the podium.
As for Roglic's crashes: one was an overcook on a corner in a legitimate effort to gain big time. Today he was up front and the crash happened around him. At the Tour, Sonny Colbrelli mugged him. I can see where you think he has "Too many.." but if you're racing you'll be in that position. I think every contender in the top ten has been on the deck this Vuelta but most have not been serious which is an improvement. The race, like the Giro is notorious for moto interference and dicey courses but it looks like they have improved warning signs and even posted cops at dangerous points in the race for emphasis.
Looks like another day passed and another day nearer to the inevitable "crack" allowing Mas to ride to the jersey. Or not. Tomorrow is another day, eh?

Looks like another day passed and another day nearer to the inevitable "crack" allowing Mas to ride to the jersey. Or not. Tomorrow is another day, eh?

Mas on Instagram said he still felt the effects of his crash on Tuesday. So today's Altu d'El Gamoniteiru is probably more dangerous for Mas than for Roglic.

Movistar don't have the team to impact the race either (Verona crashed yesterday), so with the GC being what it is, I'd expect bahrain to try their all to get Haig on the podium. Primoz meanwhile will probably ride tempo with his team & respond to attacks on the final climb with Kuss.

And the way Roglic climbed yesterday... just wow. What a day.

It is clear now that what we are dealing with this year is Roglič 3.0. It looks like he dramatically improved his TT and added long-range attack capabilities while keeping most (all?) of his punch. This is his second long-range attack this year and if I'm not mistaken he never did a successfull long-range attack before 2021... He did a couple of unsuccessful attempts in 2017 and 2018 and then in 2019 and 2020 he never really tried. It looks like his endurance level is higher now and he either gained confidence in his ability or maybe he just risks more knowing that he doesn't really "need" this vuelta win.

In any case - if he keeps this up we are in for a fantastic 2022 TDF battle. Not to mention there's a possibility of Roglič 4.0 in 2022... This guy just doesn't cease to amaze.

It is clear now that what we are dealing with this year is Roglič 3.0. It looks like he dramatically improved his TT and added long-range attack capabilities while keeping most (all?) of his punch. This is his second long-range attack this year and if I'm not mistaken he never did a successfull long-range attack before 2021... He did a couple of unsuccessful attempts in 2017 and 2018 and then in 2019 and 2020 he never really tried. It looks like his endurance level is higher now and he either gained confidence in his ability or maybe he just risks more knowing that he doesn't really "need" this vuelta win.

In any case - if he keeps this up we are in for a fantastic 2022 TDF battle. Not to mention there's a possibility of Roglič 4.0 in 2022... This guy just doesn't cease to amaze.

Roglic 4.0 will be the best in both worlds: breaking hill records in winter and climbing records in summer.

You think there'll be a new version every year now?
Can you give me a quick run-down about when each new version appeared?
Was Roglic 1.0 the ski-jumping version?
Roglič as we know him today, was born from ash and fire in 2019. That was the original T-1000 model. He was excellent GC rider who could easily win a GT but some ingredients were lacking.
An upgraded model Roglič 2.0 in 2020 provided the famous Roglstomp functionality. It served him well but let him down in one crucial devastating moment. The designers quickly recognised what needed to be done. In comes Roglič 3.0, adding much better TT and long-range attacks.

I'm not sure what the factory has in mind for 2022... I would recommend Crash Avoidance System (CAS) and Peloton Positioning System (PPS) but who knows...

There where signs of something of long(re) range to come in 2021 at PN and Basque. Good thing Roglič wrote a couple of e-mails to Adria Mobil and persisted when the response returned was no. Good thing people like doctor Milić believed in him. When Roglič was tested for what sport he could do in the future. Milić said if Adria Mobil won't sign Roglič he will. Good thing coach Mervar believed in Roglič at Adria Mobil. Good thing JV back then was persuaded to give Roglič a minimal contract in contrary to other teams like former Ineos that didn't took him seriously at all ...

And a good thing that we now know that yesterdays stage well that was nothing like kissing your sister at all.

• Love
Reactions: Red Rick
There where signs of something of long(re) range to come in 2021 at PN and Basque. Good thing Roglič wrote a couple of e-mails to Adria Mobil and persisted when the response returned was no. Good thing people like doctor Milić believed in him. When Roglič was tested for what sport he could do in the future. Milić said if Adria Mobil won't sign Roglič he will. Good thing coach Mervar believed in Roglič at Adria Mobil. Good thing JV back then was persuaded to give Roglič a minimal contract in contrary to other teams like former Ineos that didn't took him seriously at all ...

And a good thing that we now know that yesterdays stage well that was nothing like kissing your sister at all.
The part where he had trained a total of 3,000 km and was emailing continental teams is the best part.

Also I hadn't realized he participated in the Vancouver Olympics. So I was trying to find something on that and ran into a Wielerflits article about him winning a stagen in Slovenia and comments going "some should frigging sign that guy" back in 2015.

Roglic to French kiss his sister today?

TRENDING THREADS