• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 319 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The entire outcry comes from a wide audience who'd already made up their minds a long time ago, i.e. labelling Rog a bad bike handler & crash merchant. Without actually looking at the details or wanting to hear his side of the story, no, just always so comfortable in their fait accompli negative label of Roglič's bike skills.

It makes me laugh reading comments about the Colbrelli incident, i.e. when it happened & Jumbo + Rog said he was body checked by Colbrelli, there was a pretty much unanimous outcry from people without actual real footage who called their reaction "B.S.". I know this, because his fans were subjected to the same mockery. Just check through old threads & posts relating to the 2021 TdF here in this forum, it's edifying.

So now Roglič & Jumbo have a different version of events relating to a crash after Rog initiated an attack & created a selection for the sprint. He's gone public with this because his name was getting dragged through the mud & also remaining silent (such as eventually keeping their mouths shut over Colbrelli) earned them nothing & served no purpose.

If Roglič was Belgian (or from another cycling powerhouse), he'd have an army of journalists & ex-pros defending his position. He doesn't enjoy such luxury so at least now his team is actually defending him publicly.

I post this knowing full well most people in this thread will outright reject this assessment & opinion, but nevertheless it's just something you'll have to now deal with, i.e. Roglič isn't going to let himself get bullied on the road or insulted any longer & I totally support that 1000%.
I think you make some fair points about how people have made up their minds about his bike handling, and what it means for his career. Also the lack of a strong media defense for him is a good point. Personally I have questions about his bike handling but not at all ready to call him a crash merchant or the like.

That said, I don't get these statements from him. At all. What I saw was him drifting back after an effort, and as he came to rejoin the group, presumably at the back, he ran into Wright. He had no business trying to get in front of Wright, and I don't think he did get in front, but it was impossible to see in the clips I've seen. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's always been gracious, straightforward, and a stellar example of sportsmanship. He's also a really positive guy, never getting down even when he's behind. So I'm taken aback by what I'm reading today.

Cannot say how disappointed I am with Roglic over this
Robbie McEwan who as a top sprinter called bull on his statement
I am sure Roglic is diappointed but he needs to look at himself when it comes to this crash and indeed alot of the crashes he has been

This statement has done him no favours whatsoever ...

maybe he would be better off improving his bike positioning and bike handling and calling meta culpa

Robbie McEwen is a clown

Reactions: Carols
What will you say now, who was in front and who was coming from behind?

[youtube]
]View: https://youtu.be/crx-f-HDcWY?t=491[youtube/]

lol, Wright rode right into him.

the general rule is that if you have your handlebars ahead of the rider behind then it is your position. Wright was never fully along side him until he knocked him off the bike. the uproar in here is like everyone just started following cycling this Monday.

the general rule is that if you have your handlebars ahead of the rider behind then it is your position. Wright was never fully along side him until he knocked him off the bike. the uproar in here is like everyone just started following cycling this Monday.
Errr, no.
According the UCI rules, Roglic veered of his line. That’s really the only mistake someone made and caused this crash.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

In about 4 or 5 seconds he went from the left side of the road to the right side and somehow it's Wright fault? So now if you're side by side with someone but you have your handlebars slightly ahead of the other rider you can basically make them choose between braking and crashing? Not sure that's how the rules in sprints work... but nice to know you didn't start following cycling this Monday.

In about 4 or 5 seconds he went from the left side of the road to the right side and somehow it's Wright fault? So now if you're side by side with someone but you have your handlebars slightly ahead of the other rider you can basically make them choose between braking and crashing? Not sure that's how the rules in sprints work... but nice to know you didn't start following cycling this Monday.

Roglic had Wright boxed in so he decided to bump him off his line, I dont understand how anyone with working eyes can see it any differently.

i hope Fred gets a heroes welcome when he gets back to England for his 4th place finish on the stage though.

What will you say now, who was in front and who was coming from behind?

[youtube]
]View: https://youtu.be/crx-f-HDcWY?t=491[youtube/]
I will say that he was obviously behind at the time he made contact, and was trying to put himself into a hole that didn't exist. He was in front briefly as they approached the mobile camera, but as we saw in the other views it's because he was fading relative to the speed of the others. This confirms it was totally his fault IMO. Additionally, Wright never deviated, and Roglič did.
I really think you should have another look. The photo posted by Tim Cahill above shows it clearly.

What a complete moronic thing to say from Roglic. He was the one making the move, he was the one trying to get in between other riders. Own your own *** dude. As a peleton being, i wouldn't want Roglic anywhere near a sprint if this is his position on that event with all the camera footage we have. He is clearly a danger to everyone that rides in the peleton!

Really really dissapointed.

What a complete moronic thing to say from Roglic. He was the one making the move, he was the one trying to get in between other riders. Own your own *** dude. As a peleton being, i wouldn't want Roglic anywhere near a sprint if this is his position on that event with all the camera footage we have. He is clearly a danger to everyone that rides in the peleton!

Really really dissapointed.
Agree 100% with your points about where he was and that he initiated everything, well said. When I saw him move off the front, I assumed he was trying to grab a wheel at the back and coast in for the time. He blew it.

I would not condemn him as a sprinter and I don't think he's a danger. He made a mistake.

Roglič went left and 3 guys over took him. Wright was behind Roglič and tried to catch 3 guys in front but he had a gap. Roglič didn't see him and wanted to go back behind the third guy. When he steered right, Wright overtook him from the inside, bumped him and Roglič went down.

This is what happened. I still call it a racing accident. Roglič thinks Wright did it on purpose. Or maybe he did, who knows.

Roglič, the villian. I like it. Enough with Mr. Nice guy.

On video you can clearly see that Wright bumped into Roglic.
I'm trying really hard to understand this perspective. You can say that there was a moment when his pedaling action moves him left as they make contact. Is that what people are seeing?

If so, this is totally normal, and he didn't move off his line. He has every right to that space. Roglič had been moving backward and into him for several meters before they made contact, and when he hit Wright he was behind him. Beyond that, the overall situation was a guy coming off the front, moving backward rather quickly. He should have slotted in behind Wright or stayed left.

I would not condemn him as a sprinter and I don't think he's a danger. He made a mistake.

I have no problem with him making a mistake, i take issue with the fact he doesn't see it as a mistake. For the same effect he could have pilotted wright into the nadar... just like what happened with Jakobsen.
Its the part about him not seeing it as a mistake, but as his god given right.

On video you can clearly see that Wright bumped into Roglic.
Nonesence, as Red Flanders has rightly observed, Roglic was only momentarily ahead of Wright in the midst, however, of drifting back on the left after a monster pull, when the sprint was opening up on the right next to the barriers. Yet rather than fading back safely on Wright's wheel (or surging left out of the way), as he should have done, he imprudently decided upon a further accelleration drifting rightward (the angle of his bike makes this unequivical). At this point Wright was ahead of him and Roglic touched Wright's hind quarter causing himself a bad end.

I don't know what is most surprising:
  • Jumbo not stopping Roglic posting such BS, but even doubling down on it
  • the fact that some people, despite images conclusively showing it was Roglic that deviated from his line, are still defending Roglic' statement

I'm so fed up with this age of alternative facts. Apparently, everything needs to be up for debate or personal judgement, even though the actual facts are clear. Get over yourselves!

Only because your handlebar is "ahead" by 30 cms you don't have the right to wildly swing across the road taking any others riders wheel. You can clearly see on the video how Roglic is on the far left of the road, when they cross the camera guy he's exactly on the white stripes of the street and when he crashes on the right side of the stripes while Wright stays on his line the whole way.

It's actually insane that some Roglic fans defend this because "it must be right" when their hero "finally speaks out" while every camera angle, shot and videos we have point to the total opposite. The fact that Wright is constantly slandered as some irrelevant pannenkoeken rider who doesn't even deserve to contest anything let alone ride next to a GC rider says it all about how much weight the argument on who's fault it was really have. Just flat out laughable.