• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 452 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, yesterday stage 4 of Tour of Slovenia went over Katarina climb at the begining of the stage. One of the climbs Roglič trains on often. He also held the Strava KOM of 9:52 from 2019. During the stage yesterday the break was getting formed at that point and the pack basically sprinted up that climb. After the stage Fortunato took the KOM - 9:46.

But a few minutes later Roglič posted a training ride he did two days ago... with a time of 9:21 (he also forgot to hide the power - he did 476 Watts or 7.4 W/kg!). Half an hour later he changed his Strava name and then removed the ride from public eyes. I really want to know what kind of games he is playing haha.

He likes that climb. I met him twice while cycling in that area and it always made my week (day being too short of a unit). And it's a climb that suits him best probably. I was always wondering if his strength in these kind of efforts was due to the fact he was training so much on that particular climb when developing as a cyclist.

Anyway, there's absolutely noone in the peloton that can match Primož on Katarina...

So, yesterday stage 4 of Tour of Slovenia went over Katarina climb at the begining of the stage. One of the climbs Roglič trains on often. He also held the Strava KOM of 9:52 from 2019. During the stage yesterday the break was getting formed at that point and the pack basically sprinted up that climb. After the stage Fortunato took the KOM - 9:46.

But a few minutes later Roglič posted a training ride he did two days ago... with a time of 9:21 (he also forgot to hide the power - he did 476 Watts or 7.4 W/kg!). Half an hour later he changed his Strava name and then removed the ride from public eyes. I really want to know what kind of games he is playing haha.
Wtf I thought he didnt use strava

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Wtf I thought he didnt use strava

He had a couple of public activities until a couple of days ago he removed everything. His public activities were usually a couple of years old. I think the most recent one was Katarina KOM from 2019, but he also held KOM on Vršič, another iconic climb in Slovenia. The activity was from 2014 or so...

Pff, I think it's pretty self-evident Lev logged into his dad's account & uploaded his own data... before his parents deleted it.

The world isn't yet ready for next gen Rogla.

Primož is hard of hearing. It's quite obvious looking at his body language...

first answer: no Tour this year:(

BUT! (second question) he says he wanted to go to the Tour after he completed the Giro but could not come to an agreement with his team. (I knew it! :mad: ). He believes it's possible to do the Tour/Giro double and he feels he could do it but would only see once he's actually racing if its possible or not.

Third question: Hopes he will be in a position to a Tour-Giro double sometime in his career again. (seems somewhat sad saying that)

Personal input: Hope TJV fails spectalularly this year...

Last edited:

Haha, he said he was clicking too fast and uploaded everything 😆

He wasn't even sole leader in the 2020 TdF either, i.e. Dumoulin officially had equal status going into that race (& was also co-leader going into the 2020 Vuelta as well, with the insinuation by the press before the race that Rog would work for Dumo).

Jumbo, Rog & the Tour is just a winning combination that's not happening (or happened) for multiple reasons. Kind of ironic though considering I think every other team would take him to France in a heartbeat without hesitation.

I mean for sure wouldn't we all like to see Rogla do well in the Tour? Especially why not the sooner the better? (like in 2 weeks time).

In reality though something sh*t would probably happen to him again. We all know it. I was never super convinced Jumbo are even any good at running with multiple leaders (unlike Ineos) & Niermann's tactics are occasionally (actually all the freaking time) highly aggressive & highly risky, especially for a prospective 'second leader' who'd get screwed as soon as "something" happens on the road. So IMO I now view his career one race at a time, i.e. I'll look forwards to the Vuelta (& the Angliru!). Next season (& whatever planning there is) is a long way away.

One thing I'll say though is I think he absolutely has the base level to do well with a Giro-Tour back-to-back schedule. I think his form right now is probably spectacular as well (& his second crash in the Giro, aka the one which took out TGH, seriously hurt him as well, so he's much better than his relative struggles at the beginning of the third week of the Giro suggests).

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
I guess Jumbo didn't wanna deal with the uncertainty of his form going into the Tour, they usually plan way way ahead.
I would think so too… They probably wouldn’t want to risk wasting a spot with him. Ok that is maybe understandable to some extent. However, Rogla is a star, he would bring extra publicity and of course, they would have kept him for the future… And you never know with him - he could turn out to be a real factor in the race. I think the risk of him being really bad during the duration of the race is pretty low and I would imagine he should reach Kruijswijk level with ease…

In any case, I think if they couldn’t come up with agreement this year, I doubt they will next year. He should go…

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan