Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
Damnit! Hopefully he can recover and continue, although his GC chances are now gone. At least maybe he can go for the stages, unless they chain him to Kruijswijk.
His GC chances were never there. He had no chance at a podium, that's a given IMO. Maybe for a top15, but that doesn't matter. It's better to be there for Kruiswijk in the mountains and if given a chance go for a stage win. I just wanted him to survive till the first hills and maybe try to grab maglia rosa for a couple of days. I think that'd be bigger achievement for LottoNL than making a top10 with Steven. Oh well, now that's gone. I just hope he can continue and that he isn't affected by the crash.
 
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
Lequack said:
Damnit! Hopefully he can recover and continue, although his GC chances are now gone. At least maybe he can go for the stages, unless they chain him to Kruijswijk.
His GC chances were never there. He had no chance at a podium, that's a given IMO. Maybe for a top15, but that doesn't matter. It's better to be there for Kruiswijk in the mountains and if given a chance go for a stage win. I just wanted him to survive till the first hills and maybe try to grab maglia rosa for a couple of days. I think that'd be bigger achievement for LottoNL than making a top10 with Steven. Oh well, now that's gone. I just hope he can continue and that he isn't affected by the crash.
If he can recover it would be good to see what he could do in the two remaining timetrials.
 
Mar 14, 2016
3,092
5
0
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
His GC chances were never there. He had no chance at a podium, that's a given IMO. Maybe for a top15, but that doesn't matter. It's better to be there for Kruiswijk in the mountains and if given a chance go for a stage win. I just wanted him to survive till the first hills and maybe try to grab maglia rosa for a couple of days. I think that'd be bigger achievement for LottoNL than making a top10 with Steven. Oh well, now that's gone. I just hope he can continue and that he isn't affected by the crash.
LottoNL's definition of an achievement is a Zubeldia-style top 10.
 
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Primož has been somebody who deserved the step up for a while now, he's shown great climbing chops in pretty much everything he's entered. A lot of ski jumpers also XC ski in their youth before specialising (you often get Nordic Combined athletes out of that) so it's quite possible he had some background in endurance sport from that, but obviously ski jumping was his modus operandi. He'd obviously outgrown Adria Mobil, and it's quite a pleasant surprise to see a Slovene talent in recent years not go to the top via Lampre. Lotto Jumbo is a gamble, but he should at least get a bit of freedom there. My hope is that he can impact his first GT in the Arredondo kind of way, don't ask him to do too much for GC but let him animate the mountains. He's got something, let him show it that way rather than hanging on to the rear of the favourites group until he's got a couple years' more experience...
Me back in February. Let's hope that losing early time means a bit of freedom when the road goes uphill. If he can stay with the favourites on a couple of mountain stages and chooses wisely on a couple of stages to get up the road because he's not so tightly marked, that could well play out. Primož Roglič - GPM winner - you heard it here first :p
 
If he can recover fine from his crash I believe his time loss will be a blessing in disguise: No pressure for holding onto a gc placing and more freedom where he can showcase his strength and hunt stages and the mountains jersey
 
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
johnymax said:
His GC chances were never there. He had no chance at a podium, that's a given IMO. Maybe for a top15, but that doesn't matter. It's better to be there for Kruiswijk in the mountains and if given a chance go for a stage win. I just wanted him to survive till the first hills and maybe try to grab maglia rosa for a couple of days. I think that'd be bigger achievement for LottoNL than making a top10 with Steven. Oh well, now that's gone. I just hope he can continue and that he isn't affected by the crash.
LottoNL's definition of an achievement is a Zubeldia-style top 10.
That's it. Otherwise they'd target stage wins and / or the blue jersey with Kruijswijk instead.
 
Wait, you're discussing LottoNL as a boring style team while we've just seen Tjallingii on the attack in the first days and getting the blue jersey..

I mean, normally you're right, but this time, you guys aren't.

Too add to that, didn't Kruijswijk get lasts years top 10 by continiously attacking? Not at all anonymously?
Oh.. forgot that have we.

Strange.
 
Mar 14, 2016
3,092
5
0
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Wait, you're discussing LottoNL as a boring style team while we've just seen Tjallingii on the attack in the first days and getting the blue jersey.
One swallow does not a summer make.
 
New blog, doesnt sound very good. :(

https://primozroglic.com/2016/05/08/50-shades-of-pink/

Today, however, the crash was in front of me, and I flew over the handlebars, At first I could not breathe, I am bruised all over my – I’ve been worse, but I was also much better. One of my teammates waited for me, we dragged ourselves to the finish line, otherwise I do not know how I would finish. They say that the one that never fought is truly defeated, so I am staying optimistic about the next days; although the 10K ride to the finish was like the route of suffering. When I type this I am covered with ice, to relieve the pain, I will not sleep today, that is sure, and thinking about that, in our sport you are often defeated and on the ground (literally), a Chinese proverb says that greatness lies in the act of always picking yourself up and not that you never fall… Ah grande Giro – one day you are almost maglia rosa, the next day you hit the ground.
 
Re:

classicomano said:
New blog, doesnt sound very good. :(

https://primozroglic.com/2016/05/08/50-shades-of-pink/

Today, however, the crash was in front of me, and I flew over the handlebars, At first I could not breathe, I am bruised all over my – I’ve been worse, but I was also much better. One of my teammates waited for me, we dragged ourselves to the finish line, otherwise I do not know how I would finish. They say that the one that never fought is truly defeated, so I am staying optimistic about the next days; although the 10K ride to the finish was like the route of suffering. When I type this I am covered with ice, to relieve the pain, I will not sleep today, that is sure, and thinking about that, in our sport you are often defeated and on the ground (literally), a Chinese proverb says that greatness lies in the act of always picking yourself up and not that you never fall… Ah grande Giro – one day you are almost maglia rosa, the next day you hit the ground.
Nothing much you can do with a fall. Maybe if he were a protected rider he'd be more up to the front and could've avoided it. But it is what it is.
 
In Slovenian news he said he is feeling already better today.

I think this is still his biggest weakness. Bike handling, riding in the peloton and positioning. I don't know what happened yesterday but if I remember correctly in Tirreno, where he was also involved in a crash, a good bike handler would have avoided the fall. The crash happened some 10m in front of him, but he panicked and fell over his bike. But that's pretty normal I think. He still needs time to become completely comfortable riding in a big group. It will come with experience.
 
Apr 22, 2012
3,570
0
0
Gutter for him, picture of him winning Giro absolutely unexpectadly was sooo appealing to me, Slovenian miracle, that would be something great. Someone said his GC chanves were never there - easy to say after what happened but we can't be sure, maybe ho could, maybe he could...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY