• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He missed that little bit today to be with the front group of 5. Normally he should have been there, considering his form lately. Probably just a bad day. Too bad he didn't win Fleche, he was so close. But it's OK. Now onto the Tour. Pogačar will be the favourite, but Rogla will have his chances. Then Olympics, where he will form a formidable duo with Pogi and the final goal of the year, Il Lombardia.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He missed that little bit today to be with the front group of 5. Normally he should have been there, considering his form lately. Probably just a bad day. Too bad he didn't win Fleche, he was so close. But it's OK. Now onto the Tour. Pogačar will be the favourite, but Rogla will have his chances. Then Olympics, where he will form a formidable duo with Pogi and the final goal of the year, Il Lombardia.

Quite surprised he couldn't be there at the end today. Can't remember laste time he disappointed (hard word, I know :D ) like this in recent times (ofcourse that TT at Tour, but there was nothing to do there really). Just shows how consisted he was and always in the mix for win.

Now onto preparing for Tour in two months. I hope he will be in attacking mode and with some unorthodox moves, he will certainly need those to win against Pogacar.

All I saw all over the leader's group today were Ineos, UAE & Deceuninck guys whilst JV were nowhere. Roglic meanwhile had one of his A-Typical off days (which happened a couple of times in the Vuelta last year).

No big deal, i.e. it's not like Michael Woods is suddenly better than Primoz, so whatever happened today is by & large purely down to one day race scenarios which won't happen in the Tour.

It's all master tactics by Jumbo Visma team guys, this is next level, even more brilliant than that at Basque Country and putting leaders jersey on McNulty shoulders. Now people will think Roglic is also a human and can have an off day. With Pogacar winning and being that dominant, other teams will work with Jumbo in Tour to destroy UAE and Pogacar. They will rather work with Jumbo and Roglic and hope for his off day, than watch the uncrackable robot Pogacar destroy them all.

• Haha
Reactions: Libertine Seguros
All I saw all over the leader's group today were Ineos, UAE & Deceuninck guys whilst JV were nowhere. Roglic meanwhile had one of his A-Typical off days (which happened a couple of times in the Vuelta last year).

No big deal, i.e. it's not like Michael Woods is suddenly better than Primoz, so whatever happened today is by & large purely down to one day race scenarios which won't happen in the Tour.
Yes, TJV weren't that strong of a team in the Ardennes. They looked the best in AGR where of course Primož was used as a domestique. Even if you look only at names on paper they aren't that strong. That's why they didn't control the race when things started to get more heated and I also think both in FW and LBL there was nobody to help Primož with positioning in the finale, because simply there was no rider on the team that could have done that job. Vingegaard was there in the end, but his job was to follow the attacks from other strong teams. You could see them talk before Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons. Probably Primož told him, he isn't feeling the best so no need to up the pace on the climb. They should definitely bring a couple of stronger riders next year. Maybe van Aert should try LBL, Bennett would be an interesting option as well. Having said that, it doesn't change the fact that today Rogla just didn't have the legs to win.

Reactions: Carols and Rackham
In my opinion spring classics just didn't fit in this years schedule and base preparation for Roglič. Today's "defeat" might had sting a bit, but when Primož will come home and will polish his LBL 2020 trophy. By then i imagine he'll be OK.

Too bad for PN, still that TT and overall win on Tour of the Basque Country, mission accomplished. Confirmation he is on the right track, regarding Tour.

Now i am going to get engaged in a bit of football, to show some respect. In addition i will practice twice a week. Mostly hiking and cycling, to be in good shape for Tour.

See you all around the end of June!

Ez1G06gXoAATaYZ

Ez1mESDWEAk-v1W

think it may be simply a matter of endurance (and recovery).

pog is better the longer the race.

pog is also better come the third week.

Pog hadn't raced since Itzulia Basque Country until yesterday. Even his UAE teammates were all over the front of the race (at one point they surrounded Primoz when he was trying to chase the leader group).

So I don't believe people should read too much into yesterday's result, i.e. freshness was definitely on the side of the Pogacar team.

Pog hadn't raced since Itzulia Basque Country until yesterday. Even his UAE teammates were all over the front of the race (at one point they surrounded Primoz when he was trying to chase the leader group).
His UAE teammates are proven commodities in a race like LBL. It's not surprising to see Hirschi and Formolo being much better than any Jumbo Visma domestique yesterday (ie it's not a matter of freshness but of overall level).

Reactions: Carols and Eeslliw
It's all master tactics by Jumbo Visma team guys, this is next level, even more brilliant than that at Basque Country and putting leaders jersey on McNulty shoulders. Now people will think Roglic is also a human and can have an off day. With Pogacar winning and being that dominant, other teams will work with Jumbo in Tour to destroy UAE and Pogacar. They will rather work with Jumbo and Roglic and hope for his off day, than watch the uncrackable robot Pogacar destroy them all.
Roglic didn't necessarily have that much of an "off" day but, after 150 miles was minorly inattentive. He's used to being able to apply power to overcome minor gaps and went to sleep on that steep ramp at 12+km behind two of Pogi's teammates. He didn't move outside their amateur blocking move and see the gap until the escaping group had 10 seconds. Then he was in the position of immediately closing that gap or hoping for help. The time he took to respond was the Race Moment and he'll probably play that one through his mind a few times, late at night in the future. He spent more energy attempting to bring them back after that than had he responded immediately, for sure. That's racing and he can't win them all. He applied some serious power trying to close to the front and that was admirable.

It looks like he's having fun and enjoying the life. Better than the over analytical sociopathic stars of the past that had no other interests. It's good for a kid to know that you don't always win; even when you're supposed to be the best. Hell, it was Valverde's 60th birthday and he got no gifts!
The way his teammates talk about him he's a great, funny guy to have in the team.

will Roglic skip the Vuelta this year?

TRENDING THREADS