• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it?

To me it just screams "yeet me over when I'm in the way cause I don't retaliate anyway"

I'll let the Slovenians in the forum respond to the question. But from my experiences visiting in the former Communist countries, including Slovenia, all I'd heard about the attitude was verified. I was unhappy with a meal and was counseled not to complain! People didn't complain, they carried on.

It happened to Contador also...no repercussions.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
There are too many personal vested interests for different teams after a stage like today's ergo no one will make a unified stand against madness (stage design + peloton behavior). I mean just look at how certain teams have benefitted from the carnage (in terms of GC prospects & sprint stage victories).

So Roglic will continue, lose the Tour & afterwards people will unironically say "tough luck, you shouldn't have crashed & you weren't going to beat Pogacar anyway". Rinse repeat for Pogacar if he finds himself in the same position, i.e. "tough luck, but Carapaz deserves it for staying on his bike" etc.

It just makes the entire concept of being the best, training hard & preparing for the Tour so redundant based on the nature of the crash lottery.
IMO, that's why winning 2, 3, 5 TdFs in a row (or not in a row for that matter)is that much more impressive: staying off the ground, avoid flats, avoiding mechanicals, etc. for 100+ days!

@sonnycolbrelli commented on his crash with Roglič:

"Obviously, you never like to see anyone crash in a bike race. The crash with @rogla was unfortunate. The bunch was moving from left to right on the narrow roads in the finale of the stage. [1/3]

#TDF2021
Roglič came from behind me to move up, and our handlebars got caught together, which almost pulled us both to the ground. It was only luck that I remained up on the bike. My reaction after the crash was more out of fear than anything else. [2/3]

#TDF2021
I'm really sorry for @rogla, and wish it didn't happen, but I don't believe I'm to blame." [3/3]

#TDF2021

He's had bad luck in France for years now. Dauphine, Tour, Paris-Nice... I tried to change that with wishing him good luck, but it didn't help. I'm gonna cry:disrelieved:
Thanks. I only glance at this thread now and then. I didn't know you did the title and I didn't get it. I thought it was conjured up by a fanboy who had gone simple. Bad luck for him, but he's less than a minute behind Pog.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not looking good, but a lot will be clear after stage 5 TT. If he loses more time against Pogacar, I am afraid it's game over.

I still have hope, but deep down I know it's over after two very hard crashes and lost time.

Looking ahead, I hope next season he will have normal race calendar. This year they went all in for TDF and we can see how that went. Maybe even go for Giro next year?

Reactions: Sandisfan
In my opinion Roglič should assess his chances and if chances are low he should abandon the Tour and focus on new goals. Healthy Roglič could get that amount of time back, as for injured one ...

For years i had high opinion of the Tour, but this years fiasco seriously undermined that. I do expect for cyclists to give everything they got. To suffer physicality and mentally and to do that tremendously. But for me it stops when it is obvious i am watching a circus with a freak show and the bar is set beyond the body bag. And nobody really cares and find that amusing.

Pogačar said they sent them down a narrow road full of holes at the end of the stage all knew will finish in a high speed bunch sprint. There is just no excuse for that after Poland.

Such reduced and broken up GC squad. What is the point in watching that. Like with the sprinters, Bennett missing, OK then second tire ones will get a chance. Oh no, they crashed, third tier to get a chance ... If the best of the best are basically eliminated on stage 3 then the race can't be considered to be first tier anymore. Just do the train or something and lets get it over with.

Anyway i am not watching this GT race actively anymore. Good luck to you Primož with whatever you decide to do next.

You will still be my GOAT with or without the Tour title in your trophy cabinet.

In my opinion Roglič should assess his chances and if chances are low he should abandon the Tour and focus on new goals. Healthy Roglič could get that amount of time back, as for injured one ...

For years i had high opinion of the Tour, but this years fiasco seriously undermined that. I do expect for cyclists to give everything they got. To suffer physicality and mentally and to do that tremendously. But for me it stops when it is obvious i am watching a circus with a freak show and the bar is set beyond the body bag. And nobody really cares and find that amusing.

Pogačar said they sent them down a narrow road full of holes at the end of the stage all knew will finish in a high speed bunch sprint. There is just no excuse for that after Poland.

Such reduced and broken up GC squad. What is the point in watching that. Like with the sprinters, Bennett missing, OK then second tire ones will get a chance. Oh no, they crashed, third tier to get a chance ... If the best of the best are basically eliminated on stage 3 then the race can't be considered to be first tier anymore. Just do the train or something and lets get it over with.

Anyway i am not watching this GT race actively anymore. Good luck to you Primož with whatever you decide to do next.

You will still be my GOAT with or without the Tour title in your trophy cabinet.
Man, lots of :eek: in your post:
-This is the first time that you see the TdF as a circus?!
-PR crashed long before the finish, had nothing to do with the sprint.
-Bennett isn't the best sprinter of 2021.
-TM is a first tier sprinter (better than Bennett this year).
-Your definition of 'tiers' is too narrow IMO.
-No GC racer is the GOAT without a TdF title.

Man, lots of :eek: in your post:
-This is the first time that you see the TdF as a circus?!
-PR crashed long before the finish, had nothing to do with the sprint.
-Bennett isn't the best sprinter of 2021.
-TM is a first tier sprinter (better than Bennett this year).
-Your definition of 'tiers' is too narrow IMO.
-No GC racer is the GOAT without a TdF title.

No real point in debating then, is it? But as you took the time a quick recap.

Yes, this edition is something i don't remember ever seeing. We paid the tickets for the battle of the ages and got a replay of some crap instead. Roglič is my favourite but it's not just about Roglič. It's just crap in general. Bennett? Prove it. TM? Prove it. But you can't, can you. As how could you. It's not narrow but the opposite. As it should be narrow if it should be considered first tire. Roglič is my GOAT. GOAT is subjective definition and it now helps i don't have the highest opinion about the Tour anymore.

In short get your *** together Tour or sell this crap to other people. I can watch Vuelta or Giro just fine until then.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
True story:

I just went for a quick walk, before going to bed. As i looked up in the sky a shooting star glanced through the sky. I made a wish but obviously can't tell you what it was.

P.S. This is where we are now. Trying to save the Tour by relying on shooting stars. But OK if Primož still have some fight left in him then there is still a chance. And all he ever wanted was a chance. He was always prepared to do the rest. Go Primož and do your best although in my opinion the Tour doesn't deserve it. And next time just push Colbrelli back. Nobody will blame you.

TRENDING THREADS