• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 164 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And there is a TT coming up. His margin of victory will only go up :)

Yesterday he gave SOO Much or he'd have caught MAL today. Still he widened his margin to 2nd.

Yeah it got a bit tactical with Mas & Bernal as well (because he didn't want to pull Mas up the road & then get counter attacked).

But he closed the gap down to MAL super fast at the end & still widened his overall lead. So great job.

Does he have any chance of matching Pogacar next year? Surely he will get close

Of course.

But it depends on how the season unfolds. And how Pogacar progresses + how much stronger UAE get. But I don't see the harm in arriving motivated & armed to his teeth to do battle in the Tour de France again. Once the form & level is there, anything can happen in bike racing.

But I feel it does this Vuelta & his soon-to-be 3 in a row wins a little injustice to talk about the Tour again at this point. Because this in Spain in & of itself is a lovely exploit & top top performance right now.

Does he have any chance of matching Pogacar next year? Surely he will get close
I think he is the only one who even has a chance.

Considering Vingegaard was 2nd in the TDF and could actually put Pogacar in difficulty a bit on the Ventoux... And Roglic is normally better, well. Think he was the only one who had a chance of making it difficult for Pogacar at least. I won't say beating because that's another thing... Pogacar is still insanely strong.

The part where he had trained a total of 3,000 km and was emailing continental teams is the best part.

Also I hadn't realized he participated in the Vancouver Olympics. So I was trying to find something on that and ran into a Wielerflits article about him winning a stagen in Slovenia and comments going "some should frigging sign that guy" back in 2015.

As for 2015 i would say yes and no. Some already knew and made suggestions to teams like the former Ineos. But in 2015 they basically laughed to the idea of signing an elderly ski jumper turned pro cyclist. In addition former Ineos sent Nieve to Tour of Slovenia in 2015 and as he finished second overall he was not considered to be good enough to make it in the Tour squad. A year or two latter former Ineos was reminded of that and the laugh sounded a bit different this time around. Interestingly Roglič could have signed for Bora–Hansgrohe back than but choose LottoNL-Jumbo due to BH not being a part of World Tour.

Yeah it got a bit tactical with Mas & Bernal as well (because he didn't want to pull Mas up the road & then get counter attacked).

But he closed the gap down to MAL super fast at the end & still widened his overall lead. So great job.
Good observation; he gained on the nearest and most feared competitors. MAL deserved the win but Roglic's closing speed suggests he was working the other guys as much as possible.
It is clear now that what we are dealing with this year is Roglič 3.0. It looks like he dramatically improved his TT and added long-range attack capabilities while keeping most (all?) of his punch. This is his second long-range attack this year and if I'm not mistaken he never did a successfull long-range attack before 2021... He did a couple of unsuccessful attempts in 2017 and 2018 and then in 2019 and 2020 he never really tried. It looks like his endurance level is higher now and he either gained confidence in his ability or maybe he just risks more knowing that he doesn't really "need" this vuelta win.

In any case - if he keeps this up we are in for a fantastic 2022 TDF battle. Not to mention there's a possibility of Roglič 4.0 in 2022... This guy just doesn't cease to amaze.
Again; he toasted the entire elite TdF peloton for 25 km including descending to gain time and TT'ing the flat all the way to the line with Froome, Uran and Dumolin making no impression on his gap. He did similar rides in lesser stage races prior to 2019 but no one was watching, perhaps. His TT skills necessarily need to be balanced with climbing ability for GTs and one thing I noticed this Vuelta is his willingness to ride out of the saddle with bigger gears to make pace. Last year he survived on climbs with a hella-fast spin but his TT power seemed compromised. I'm not sure if the two elements are linked or not but he's gotten it right for this race.

Reactions: southwards
Again; he toasted the entire elite TdF peloton for 25 km including descending to gain time and TT'ing the flat all the way to the line with Froome, Uran and Dumolin making no impression on his gap. He did similar rides in lesser stage races prior to 2019 but no one was watching, perhaps. His TT skills necessarily need to be balanced with climbing ability for GTs and one thing I noticed this Vuelta is his willingness to ride out of the saddle with bigger gears to make pace. Last year he survived on climbs with a hella-fast spin but his TT power seemed compromised. I'm not sure if the two elements are linked or not but he's gotten it right for this race.
Are you talking about ‘17 TDF stage 17 or ‘18 TDF stage 19? In the former there was no Dumoulin while in the latter there was no Uran;) Assuming it’s ‘17 - there’s a big difference if you do that while not going for GC. You can save your energy a couple of stages prior to your attack which has higher chance of success since you are not relevant in GC. That was more of a breakaway…

Interesting observation with the cadence. He really doesn’t do high cadence anymore does he? Good. I didn’t like the way it looked:)

Are you talking about ‘17 TDF stage 17 or ‘18 TDF stage 19? In the former there was no Dumoulin while in the latter there was no Uran;) Assuming it’s ‘17 - there’s a big difference if you do that while not going for GC. You can save your energy a couple of stages prior to your attack which has higher chance of success since you are not relevant in GC. That was more of a breakaway…

Interesting observation with the cadence. He really doesn’t do high cadence anymore does he? Good. I didn’t like the way it looked:)
you figure it out. Everyone was chasing him. All the Big Names.

I think in peloton Rogla still has a higher cadence than usual. This is one of tha marks I use to find him (this and the smaller bike frame, why, does he have smaller legs?).

It's then not the frame, just the riding position?
I googled it a bit and it looks like it's a bit of both. He is in attacking position (his back is a lot more horizontal) a lot of times when others are not and his frame does appear to be smaller:
1546504483_main.jpg

Reactions: southwards
I googled it a bit and it looks like it's a bit of both. He is in attacking position (his back is a lot more horizontal) a lot of times when others are not and his frame does appear to be smaller:
1546504483_main.jpg

That's the quintessential Roglic pic. In some ways he's the anti-Andy Schleck, who rode very high up, blocking all the wind he could (how he won a LBL with a solo attack is a mystery).

Reactions: bNator

TRENDING THREADS