• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't see it - Primoz hasn't crashed going uphill.
Tirreno 2018 stage 4 on Sassotetto:

2rK6J8R.png

Tirreno 2018 stage 4 on Sassotetto:

2rK6J8R.png
Rewatching the Vuelta Stage 10 where Roglic went down on his solo escape it was more apparent what happend: 1)both wheels looked to lose grip at the same time 2)his slide marks were mostly from his body on the tarmac and it looked like a blackboard being wiped clean. Must've been very dusty. You would brake differently on a descent with rim brakes and feather front/back application; possibly avoiding that. That's Pure Speculation but Primoz's line into the corner and his position didn't look incorrect. His tires may have contributed as well. He definitely enjoys testing himself like Alaphilippe so he will be in those positions from time to time.

I like this route & I believe it suits Roglic quite well. Especially the distances in km for each stage:

Le parcours du Tour de France 2022 : étape par étape, dates, villes et profils de la 109e édition - L'Équipe (lequipe.fr)

DateEtapeKm
01 juil.Copenhague - Copenhague (clm)13
02 juil.Roskilde - Nyborg199
03 juil.Vejle - Sonderborg182
04 juil.Nord (Transfert)
05 juil.Dunkerque - Calais172
06 juil.Lille Métropole - Arenberg Port du Hainaut155
07 juil.Binche - Longwy220
08 juil.Tomblaine - La super Planche des Belles Filles176
09 juil.Dole - Lausanne184
10 juil.Aigle - Châtel Les Portes du Soleil183
11 juil.Morzine (Repos)
12 juil.Morzine Les Portes du Soleil - Megève148
13 juil.Albertville - Col du Granon149
14 juil.Briançon - Alpe d'Huez166
15 juil.Bourg d'Oisans - Saint-Etienne193
16 juil.Saint-Etienne - Mende195
17 juil.Rodez - Carcassonne200
18 juil.Carcassonne (Repos)
19 juil.Carcassonne - Foix179
20 juil.Saint-Gaudens - Peyragudes130
21 juil.Lourdes - Hautacam143
22 juil.Castelnau-Magnoac - Cahors189
23 juil.Lacapelle-Marival - Rocamadour (clm)40
24 juil.Paris La Défense Arena - Paris Champs-Elysées112

A nice 40km TT at the end as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like this route & I believe it suits Roglic quite well. Especially the distances in km for each stage:

Le parcours du Tour de France 2022 : étape par étape, dates, villes et profils de la 109e édition - L'Équipe (lequipe.fr)

DateEtapeKm
01 juil.Copenhague - Copenhague (clm)13
02 juil.Roskilde - Nyborg199
03 juil.Vejle - Sonderborg182
04 juil.Nord (Transfert)
05 juil.Dunkerque - Calais172
06 juil.Lille Métropole - Arenberg Port du Hainaut155
07 juil.Binche - Longwy220
08 juil.Tomblaine - La super Planche des Belles Filles176
09 juil.Dole - Lausanne184
10 juil.Aigle - Châtel Les Portes du Soleil183
11 juil.Morzine (Repos)
12 juil.Morzine Les Portes du Soleil - Megève148
13 juil.Albertville - Col du Granon149
14 juil.Briançon - Alpe d'Huez166
15 juil.Bourg d'Oisans - Saint-Etienne193
16 juil.Saint-Etienne - Mende195
17 juil.Rodez - Carcassonne200
18 juil.Carcassonne (Repos)
19 juil.Carcassonne - Foix179
20 juil.Saint-Gaudens - Peyragudes130
21 juil.Lourdes - Hautacam143
22 juil.Castelnau-Magnoac - Cahors189
23 juil.Lacapelle-Marival - Rocamadour (clm)40
24 juil.Paris La Défense Arena - Paris Champs-Elysées112

A nice 40km TT at the end as well.
Wow, a proper 40k TT. That will help. So much for the people hoping for less TT to give some of the pure climbers a chance. As if the Slovenians aren’t the best climbers anyway.

It would be hard to claim Tour 2022 isn't a tailor made GT for Roglič. Lack of TTT could be considered as being a slight downside. They had to throw in a bit of cobbles. To try to kill the GT race early. Still after Roglič gets married Roglič, Lora and Lev can move in with Wout. Perfect honeymoon. All in all Roglič having van Aert in his team is like saying TTT was included after all.

Lets wait and see what decisions will get made regarding the next season. I would say it does look promising. For cycling fans to see a great battle at the Tour 2022.

It would be hard to claim Tour 2022 isn't a tailor made GT for Roglič. Lack of TTT could be considered as being a slight downside. They had to throw in a bit of cobbles. To try to kill the GT race early. Still after Roglič gets married Roglič, Lora and Lev can move in with Wout. Perfect honeymoon. All in all Roglič having van Aert in his team is like saying TTT was included after all.

Lets wait and see what decisions will get made regarding the next season. I would say it does look promising. For cycling fans to see a great battle at the Tour 2022.

Oh we can say it, i.e. it is tailor made for Roglic.

Obviously there's always the usual caveats with the dangerous wind & sprint stages (that exists in the Vuelta as well), whilst the cobbles create a new problem as well (but he has raced them before).

But the rest? It's Roglic hunting grounds. I can look at multiple stages & see either victories or gained time. Whilst that final TT of 40km is also quite tasty.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Richard Plugge with some interesting realpolitik interspliced with actual politics regarding Jumbo's approach to next year's Tour: Tour de France 2022: Tom Dumoulin could return says Jumbo-Visma boss | Cyclingnews

Certainly the first stage could be a good chance [for yellow]. For our Dane [Vingegaard], but we also have a Belgian [Wout van Aert] and a Slovenian [Roglič]."

Jumbo-Visma typically announce their Tour de France team well in advance and in the last two seasons have publicly shared their eight-rider roster in the off-season. The 2022 route came out just minutes before Plugge talked to the press but the Dutchman did leave the door open for Dumoulin, who last made an appearance at the Tour de France back in 2020, when he helped Roglič to second overall.

"We still have to see who we're going to take, but they could do it there. Tom Dumoulin too. I think it's also very nice that the Galibier is included twice during such classic mountain stages and that there is an arrival at Alpe d'Huez. There are great opportunities there," Plugge said.

“[The route] looks nice, with chances for wind too. We are good at that. Indeed, Wout has many chances here. There are more, but he has a lot of chances. We have to come to the Tour with a strong team to put him in a good position.

"Normally he will be there anyway. We are making plans now, but Wout is part of our strongest team. But it's not about the beginning, it's about the last stage. In the end it's about the yellow jersey on the Champs-Élysées and we have to work out the best battle plan for that."

i.e. a message to WvA: it's all about winning the Tour & everything else is secondary.

The route looks good - 10 uphill finishes and 2 ITTs - that is what he is good at. Of course - for him, two things will be crucial. Not crashing or losing unnecesary time in those first couple of stages in Denmark and the Arenberg stage and being at least close to Pogačar.

Primož loves short steep ramps at the end of climbs - and there are plenty of them next year - Super Planche, Peyragudes Altiport, Mende... not to mention hilly stages that will end in an uphill sprint. He just needs o super-glue himself to Wouts wheel on that cobble stage.

Didn't you say that Primoz shouldn't ride Roubaix if he wants to continue his career? Cobbles could be a problem for sure, especially if bad weather strikes. Not only for Primoz obviously, it adds an element of uncertainty for anyone.

Paris-Roubaix is different. In my outlook here I assume WvA will be working for Roglic & stay with him, i.e. I believe GC teams play a crucial role in getting their leader through the cobbles in the Tour (as we've seen in the past). I also think Roglic is absolutely capable of riding cobbles (just probably not a 260km monument versus the hardest badasses in the peloton on the day). And what's a good day on the cobbles in the Tour? No time loss versus rivals, whereas in P-R the aim is victory or bust. The stress & objective creates a different type of approach.

Maybe I'm also getting ahead of myself but if UAE take a team mostly featuring climbers to the Tour next year (including Soler & George Bennett etc. i.e. their new singings), that first week could cause them some trouble (& Jumbo could exploit opportunities with Dennis & WvA before the real climbing even starts).

After this year‘s TdF, I fear Primoz won‘t reach PDBF without having crashed 3-5 times. He could crash in Denmark several times, he could crash in Northern France, even on the cobbles.

TdF is super nervous in the first days. Clear advantage for Pogacar, who has clearly better bike handling skills...
You are a very optimistic skijumper Roglič fan I see

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS