• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, Bixente Lizarazu, after football, switched to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu... He also surfs and has done some other weird sports competitively. :D
There also is Eric Heiden, who did quite a switch for instance. But yes, I'm sure nobody else has ever successfully switched from ski-jumping to road cycling on such levels. :D
Former MMA fighter and mulltiple tim BJJ and submision gappling WC Ricardo Arona became a surfer after he stopped competing, he made it to the World Surf League.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Unless Carols stole that too!

My take on this is Carols couldn't have done it in the first place. That is at TDF 2020 Roglič said to himself it's in the bag. After double checking realizing the bag had a hole in it and he saw a glimpse of Pogačar smiling face through it. A couple of stitches sorted it all out. And the bag continued to be filled successfully afterwards.

What's Slovenian for "Lads it's Tottenham"

"Gremo, pubeci!". Knowing the coaches background regarding (football club) Maribor. Or maybe he is fully accustomed and accommodated at Mura now. Then he would likely say something in the lines of "Idemo, čarno-bejli!". Both roughly translates to "Let's go lads we got this!" involving some "local slang", not slur.

Mura coach likely wouldn't go as far as Ferguson. Way too much respect for English football in this part of the world. Still he had to get in the players heads. They were aggressive through the whole match and on top of that decided the game in clutch time. It does take a special coach and a team to achieve that. Considering Mura evaluation, according to the Transfermarkt is around 1% of Tottenham. Promising the players more money in the terms of bonuses likely wasn't it. Maybe a spot in The Super League was a factor ... I wouldn't be too hard on Tottenham. Slovenian football has its moments. And people like coach Šimundža belong to the side that know what they are doing and live and breath football.

I mean they have to be doing something right. Ian moved from England to Murska Sobota and is now a Mura fan:

Last edited:
Meanwhile Slovenia got a new national team coach. A former cyclist Uroš Murn got the spot:

There will likely be some rivalry involved with team Belgium coach. On who does a better job. At managing an all-star team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
584180.width-660.jpg

An anecdote from 2012. Roglič participated at a race in Istra. The opposing team tried to crack him for a 100 kilometers, wanted to made the selection on Oprtalj climb but Roglič did not blink an eye.

Oprtalj_Portole_Livade_profile.gif

Finally they did a "Sonny" to prevent him to take the win on that race. Apologized for it later. I guess just the normal things junior cyclists need to learn. To be successful later in their careers.

584180.width-660.jpg

An anecdote from 2012. Roglič participated at a race in Istra. The opposing team tried to crack him for a 100 kilometers, wanted to made the selection on Oprtalj climb but Roglič did not blink an eye.

Oprtalj_Portole_Livade_profile.gif

Finally they did a "Sonny" to prevent him to take the win on that race. Apologized for it later. I guess just the normal things junior cyclists need to learn. To be successful later in their careers.

I was getting confused after reading the first couple Q&A from the interview with Miholjevic. Only then I realised it's from 2019...lol

Well Van Aert is now openly talking about winning green jersey in TdF 2022 and is expecting full team support.

Team is also expecting to fight for yellow jersey (Roglič). 100% Jumbo Visma would have full hands with Pogačar and UAE team and Bernal - Ineos team. Now half the team will chase itermediate sprints, lead out Van Aert to the finish line....this won't work.

Well Van Aert is now openly talking about winning green jersey in TdF 2022 and is expecting full team support.

Team is also expecting to fight for yellow jersey (Roglič). 100% Jumbo Visma would have full hands with Pogačar and UAE team and Bernal - Ineos team. Now half the team will chase itermediate sprints, lead out Van Aert to the finish line....this won't work.
I like how you managed to use only the 2 worst lines in the article to make it look the worst from Roglic' point of view.

I like how you managed to use only the 2 worst lines in the article to make it look the worst from Roglic' point of view.

But it does look bad.

Add the Vingegaard situation on top (i.e. a rider who finishes 2d in the Tour can certainly aspire towards a far more "protected" status the following year) & we see a quasi Ineos situation with too many chiefs & not enough Indians. It makes winning yellow all the more difficult if too many in the team have their own personal ambition.

In other news, I'm also wondering how this charity criterium is going (i.e. reportedly scheduled today):

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/monacos-cycling-glitterati-set-to-take-part-in-charity-criterium/

I can't find much info on it.

Add the Vingegaard situation on top (i.e. a rider who finishes 2d in the Tour can certainly aspire towards a far more "protected" status the following year) & we see a quasi Ineos situation with too many chiefs & not enough Indians. It makes winning yellow all the more difficult if too many in the team have their own personal ambition.

The Vingegaard situation really is quite crazy. I mean... I think if someone had asked him at the beginning of this year what his TdF aspirations are, he could very well have said something like getting his debut in 2022, on Danish asphalt.
Of course, bit late for him to get his debut now...

The mighty Wout showed his versatality during this year's Tour. He doesn't need any help maybe except Primoz helping during a few tricky sprints.
The terrain is favorable to Van Aert this time, but there are lots of points up for grabs in the flat sprint finishes / intermediate sprints. He gets boxed in sometimes. He's right that he needs support if he wants to go for green.

Really hasn't won big enough this year to make demands of Roglic' TdF team.
It's not just about results. Van Aert is more important to the sponsor.

TRENDING THREADS