• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting read.

One small remark. It says Pogačar's effort was in the rain but so was Roglič's (even heavier rain if I remember correctly).
The question is why would the power outputs of Pogs rivals be so damned low. That would be the 240km stage the day before.

One on one it's very equal or Roglic' performance might be slightly more impressive even, especially the 5.8W on the flat impresses me but the gaps on the stages tell me Pogacar did it in a more fatigued peloton/harder circumstances.

The thing i guess is Pogačar has never really (meaningful) beaten Roglič at climbing. He did that in TT still i feel that Roglič is overall a better TTer. When it comes to being a better puncher. Both took some wins going against each other. Hence i couldn't decide who is currently better at it. On a tailor made race i would still give Roglič the edge in this discipline. Where Pogačar IMHO has/had an edge is endurance. Here likely being younger plays a role. In 2021 season i would say Roglič did reduce the difference in this regard.

The question is why would the power outputs of Pogs rivals be so damned low. That would be the 240km stage the day before.

One on one it's very equal or Roglic' performance might be slightly more impressive even, especially the 5.8W on the flat impresses me but the gaps on the stages tell me Pogacar did it in a more fatigued peloton/harder circumstances.

How did they estimate wattage? Roglic was riding on Bernal's wheel for a significant part of this effort, which obviously should be considered here. After all they don't have wattage directly from riders bikes/computers (which would incorporate all drag forces a rider has to overcome with pedalling).

Plus obviously the circumstances are very important (as you said): crazy week at the Tour de France and the Alpine weather considerably colder than in Spain.

Reactions: Eeslliw
How did they estimate wattage? Roglic was riding on Bernal's wheel for a significant part of this effort, which obviously should be considered here. After all they don't have wattage directly from riders bikes/computers (which would incorporate all drag forces a rider has to overcome with pedalling).

Plus obviously the circumstances are very important (as you said): crazy week at the Tour de France and the Alpine weather considerably colder than in Spain.
Dunno. But drilling it on the flat is hardly as easy as recovering on a descent. And to then do a faster final climb than the other GC guys who've been continuously spending less energy for the last 60 minutes is massive.

The way I see it Roglic is a slightly more consistent climber than Pogacar actually. Pogacar has about 2 huge performances every GT but then also at least one weaker one so far.

Dunno. But drilling it on the flat is hardly as easy as recovering on a descent. And to then do a faster final climb than the other GC guys who've been continuously spending less energy for the last 60 minutes is massive.

The way I see it Roglic is a slightly more consistent climber than Pogacar actually. Pogacar has about 2 huge performances every GT but then also at least one weaker one so far.

I think Covadonga times were about the same for Roglic and the chasing group (with aboug 1'30'' of difference at the start and at the end). As for consistency I'm not sure we have large enough sample. One could say that Roglic's PDBF performance and some climbs at Vuelta'20 weren't good compared to his standard level. As for general climbing level obviously Roglic is the only one who can be compared to Pogacar, the rest is not at their level (speaking about average performance, obviously guys like Yates or Lopez showed high peaks).

I think Covadonga times were about the same for Roglic and the chasing group (with aboug 1'30'' of difference at the start and at the end). As for consistency I'm not sure we have large enough sample. One could say that Roglic's PDBF performance and some climbs at Vuelta'20 weren't good compared to his standard level. As for general climbing level obviously Roglic is the only one who can be compared to Pogacar, the rest is not at their level (speaking about average performance, obviously guys like Yates or Lopez showed high peaks).
PDBF was a better ITT than Pogacar's 2nd one in this Tour smh.

A special gift for Romain Bardet, i.e. Roglic on a literal Moto GP!

oH8tZU1.jpg
Ko4Os7T.jpg

TRENDING THREADS