• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What‘s so special about Roglic, is, that he was even a World Champion in Ski jumping. Later, he became Olympic Champion in cycling. That is quite crazy. I mean, hardly anyone did something compareable.

Probably he forever will be the only person in the world who ever finished on the podium of the Tour de France, after having jumped from the Planica Ski flying hill few years before. Just two different worlds. Even the best jumpers have real fear when they go Ski flying in Planica, Oberstdorf, Vikersund or Bad Mitterndorf. This is a lot about courage, and might be psychologically much more demanding than going downhill the Galibier, full-speed on a 6,8 kg Cervelo. The Planica thing demands much more courage, I would guess.

What‘s so special about Roglic, is, that he was even a World Champion in Ski jumping. Later, he became Olympic Champion in cycling. That is quite crazy. I mean, hardly anyone did something compareable.

Probably he forever will be the only person in the world who ever finished on the podium of the Tour de France, after having jumped from the Planica Ski flying hill few years before. Just two different worlds. Even the best jumpers have real fear when they go Ski flying in Planica, Oberstdorf, Vikersund or Bad Mitterndorf. This is a lot about courage, and might be psychologically much more demanding than going downhill the Galibier, full-speed on a 6,8 kg Cervelo. The Planica thing demands much more courage, I would guess.
Yeah, it’s really interesting. There’s been cross-over of Olympic caliber speed skaters to cycling and one can imagine some crossover from Nordic skiing too, but the transformation from elite-level ski jumper to grand tour winner is really wild!

I can't let this thread go to the 2nd page, so here's some highlights to ease the impatient wait for our hero to begin the season.

One of the most underrated MTFs of the last couple of years IMO. Look at how happy the Spanish commentators sound while calling the action:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UmTtksElyDk&t=2800s

Last climb begins at around 48 minutes into the video.

Last edited:
It'll be peak Roglic this year.

And yes, I'm really looking forward to the Tour because the profile really suits him (lots of punchy climb finishes & shorter stages), but one race I really can't wait for is the Flèche Wallonne.

I expect a typical Rogla nuke to be dropped again, whether at 300 meters from the line or closer. A certain current double world champ is the man to beat of course.

He said he was surprised Alaphilippe went past him and that this year he won't repeat the same mistake in FW. I think Jumbo Visma should push a hard pace from the bottom of Huy and he should attack from almost the same spot he did in 2021, maybe a bit earlier. But then there comes the danger called Pogačar.

It's strange. There are many bigger and more important races for Rogla to win, but after the Tour, Fleche is probably the race I want him to win the most. I don't know why. It just doesn't feel right if he never wins it in his career.

I disagree. Alaphilippe is just a bit better on that type of finish. If Roglic waits longer he will lose by more.
I dont think he loses by lots but I agree timing was not the issue. He actually tried to go earlier but got boxed in. If I remember right the split was that they did a very slow first 600m and a very fast final 300m of the Mur so maybe they just need somepne to drill the first half.

I think I would also prefer if ge skipped Amstel to stay fresh for Liege

I dont think he loses by lots but I agree timing was not the issue. He actually tried to go earlier but got boxed in. If I remember right the split was that they did a very slow first 600m and a very fast final 300m of the Mur so maybe they just need somepne to drill the first half.

Amstel is a week earlier than usual, though, and hopefully back to the good route from 2017-2019.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Amstel is a week earlier than usual, though, and hopefully back to the good route from 2017-2019.
As far as I know, he is not doing Amstel this year.

At La Flèche Wallonne 2021 i would say that tactically Alaphilippe succeeded with his bluff. That is he successfully persuaded others in prep races he is not in the best shape possible. As a result he could flew under the radar till Mur de Huy. From Roglič point of view likely participation on Amstel Gold has taken some freshness. Maybe he felt overconfident and started a bit early. I am sure that all this will be calculated in regarding La Flèche Wallonne 2022.

P.S. Although he didn't win it still was an epic race. Fingers crossed the arrow will hit bullseye in 2022.

TRENDING THREADS