• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 236 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don’t think we’ve learned anything so far, to be honest. Roglic likely more cautious than Vingo and Pogi because 1) Brissenger had just crashed twice and there was less data about how the course was riding; 2) It was actively raining; 3) He has fewer future chances, based on age, than Vingo and Pogi and can’t afford another lost Tour; 4) He crashed out of last year’s Tour; 5) Vingegaard has extra motivation riding in Denmark in front his fellow Danes.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’ve learned anything so far, to be honest. Roglic likely more cautious than Vingo and Pogi because 1) Brissenger had just crashed twice and there was less data about how the course was riding; 2) It was actively raining; 3) He has fewer future chances, based on age, than Vingo and Pogi and can’t afford another lost Tour; 4) He crashed out of last year’s Tour.
This.

Of course, that takes the fun out of these forum pages, so I get it.

While we are talking about Rogla, I just want to say that, like many fans, I choose to support individual riders based on an admittedly superficial reading of their personalities, riding/racing style, their exploits on the bike, etc. I love this guy's attitude toward racing, the way he always looks forward rather than backward, and his endearing personal story as ex-ski jumper-turned-WT-star comparatively late in sporting life.

I hope he wins the TdF this time around, but I'll still follow and enjoy his racing regardless of the outcome, just as I expect he will carry on in his familiar style and deal with any adversity that raises its ugly head. For the record, however, I do not think he is "finished" in any true sense of the word.

Seriously? Most all around riders don't reach a peak until mid-30s IMO. If they've been middle of the pack pros since age 21 they usually retire before mid-30s leaving just the exceptional domestiques and top riders that want to continue a career.
The deterioration is totally individual.
Sprinters....that's a different story.

I wasn't talking about cyclists; I was referring to everyone in the human race.

Another thing to consider is Roglič more or less always rode injured against Pogačar at the Tour. This year they managed to change that so far. Personally i don't feel you can peak while being injured. Hence Roglič has some reserves in this area too. Improving chances by staying healthy.

As for the age discussion. If Vingegaard is considered to be young and peaking in his form. Then i feel that Roglič should do just fine.

They do look strong and seem to be enjoying themself. Due to race for green they do waste some more energy but so far it did keep them at front and out of the troubles.

Keep on the good work. Rest well. And after some of the most anticipated stages are already on the schedule.
If Wout stays in Yellow they will also have team car position 1 which could be very valuable on the cobbles for speedy servicing of punctures.

How the hell did Rogla do worse than Vingo on a climb like this one?

It's 900 meters, positioning is everything. Primož Roglič: Wout van Aert is ‘half human, half motor’ after unbelievable Tour de France stage win - VeloNews.com

“We can’t wish for more. It’s really unbelievable,” Roglic said at the finish.
“ I’m proud to be a part of it. We were just there, the situation was there, and the guys were super strong. Then it just happened. When he goes, no one can go with him.For sure it would have been good but he was just too fast. I wasn’t in a super position entering the climb and then I made it up and in the end there was a gap.”

Reactions: Sandisfan
I didn't see the stage, but I have 2 hypotheses

1. Spent too much energy gaining positions lost before the climb
  2. Vingegaard is flying.

A closer look at the climb:

Roglic was way down & out of position.

Too bad the discussion tonight is about how sh*t he is because he got dropped by his own teammates. He must have sprinted pretty hard as well to make up the lost ground.

A closer look at the climb:

Roglic was way down & out of position.

Too bad the discussion tonight is about how sh*t he is because he got dropped by his own teammates. He must have sprinted pretty hard as well to make up the lost ground.
That's a mistaken identification. The 8th and last Jumbo rider is Kruijswijk. Here is a better screenshot where you can see their numbers:

xAMWJ09.png

Roglič is on the wheel of Vingegaard, who is on the wheel of Benoot. Laporte is on Van Aert's wheel.

BTW you can also spot Pogi behind Sagan and Großschartner.

Lanterne lines it out precisely

Perfect breakdown. It's like I thought I saw it happen. Roglic had to do a couple of sprints (like he always does anyway, he loses position in the bunch too easily and too often) to put himself in position in the Jumbo & Ineos train. That's enough extra energy burned to not be able to follow Yates and Jonas.

It's a mistake from his side, especially if the attack had been planned by the team. But his performance was far from pathetic, like some posters were suggesting in the race thread.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS