• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 237 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perfect breakdown. It's like I thought I saw it happen. Roglic had to do a couple of sprints (like he always does anyway, he loses position in the bunch too easily and too often) to put himself in position in the Jumbo & Ineos train. That's enough extra energy burned to not be able to follow Yates and Jonas.

It's a mistake from his side, especially if the attack had been planned by the team. But his performance was far from pathetic, like some posters were suggesting in the race thread.
I don't think anyone said it was pathetic, only that it was worse than Vingegaard. But I guess exaggeration is an art.

That's a mistaken identification. The 8th and last Jumbo rider is Kruijswijk. Here is a better screenshot where you can see their numbers:

xAMWJ09.png

Roglič is on the wheel of Vingegaard, who is on the wheel of Benoot. Laporte is on Van Aert's wheel.

BTW you can also spot Pogi behind Sagan and Großschartner.

Thanks for the correction.

This team needs to make these sorts of power moves stick in the GC fight because despite the headlines "Jumbo powerr!", they got very little as a team. Today would be a good idea to make a real difference in GC on the cobbles but tomorrow's stage (Thursday) 220km slog with a classics-type finish could also work.

It was a bittersweet move, basically, which quickly shifted the conversation away from WvA's stage win to a debate around the legs of his GC leaders. Just because he dropped them.

Apples & oranges of course but this is the sort of stuff that never happens in the Vuelta.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone said it was pathetic, only that it was worse than Vingegaard. But I guess exaggeration is an art.

lol, there literally is a post in the stage thread which describes Roglic as 'pathetic' yesterday. But whatever, this is the Roglic thread so it shouldn't surprise anyone he has fans in here who look at this from a pro-Roglic position first & foremost. The obvious obviousness of the situation is Rog seems to be the first rider everyone buries at the first sign of trouble. This is true for this forum & especially true for social media as a whole. He has a wild Roglomoter of sorts which swings from "demigod" to "mediocre" all the way down to "completely pathetic" faster than any other rider. Mostly based on anecdotal evidence with regards to the latter.

As I'm never going to convince the court of public opinion to change their views on the matter, I really only care about what happens to Roglic (& how it happens) in this TdF, all the rest means squat to me. Including the performance of Jonas V if I'm being honest.

I'll be watching the cobbles today attentively & Jumbo had better not muck this up tactically.

Reactions: acm and Elos Anjos
Personally I think he's starting the race a bit under-cooked, which could be a good thing if he can survive today. His TT and performance yesterday, whilst not as bad as some people are making out, are a little off his best in my view.
Jeezus! He tt'd on an ice rink when others had much better conditions...and only lost a few seconds. How much did every crasher lose? That TT course was crazy technical dry or wet and everyone makes too much of those results.
Thanks for the correction.

This team needs to make these sorts of power moves stick in the GC fight because despite the headlines "Jumbo powerr!", they got very little as a team. Today would be a good idea to make a real difference in GC on the cobbles but tomorrow's stage (Thursday) 220km slog with a classics-type finish could also work.

It was a bittersweet move, basically, which quickly shifted the conversation away from WvA's stage win to a debate around the legs of his GC leaders. Just because he dropped them.

Apples & oranges of course but this is the sort of stuff that never happens in the Vuelta.
I'm amazed how folks interpret a well-coordinated attack, like JV's today. They caught people out of position, ramped up the speed to the crest of the hill purposely to launch their guy. It worked well. You're a GC guy that sees he is caught out and doesn't want to be the first chump to chase. That's how GC guys conserve energy; particularly when DS and Israel have the most incentive to chase. It was a perfect attack and JV handled the reactions well. They don't always work out but this did. It may mean nothing tomorrow and folks will say the GC guys could have made up more ground on rivals if Wout had not wasted his energy today. They won, retained yellow and put out relatively little energy in the process.

It's clearly problematic when Rogla doesn't gain time on a sprint stage. Every GC competitor knows that. That is if you don't go all in on sprint stages. Then you are doing it wrong. On top of that they should have rested van Aert. For van Aert to win a stage in mountains and to secure the green jersey.

I think yesterday did not show much. Roglic was badly positioned. So was Pogi but pogi made it up almost immediately.

I think Jonas and Roglic both knew they would not be allowed to stay clear. The only way this plan could work was when Wout went solo, or got a laporte with him.

if the gc guys had gone it would have been a bunch sprint.