• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 239 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes. Roglic will never, ever find better support that he has right now. Roglic loses P-N without Wout, and Vingegaard most likely wins Dauphine riding for another team. This Tour they have the by far best team, but he crashed in yet another freak accident.

The team was tremendous as it has been since 2020. Grass is always greener, I guess.
I mean I mostly agree with you. It's a killer team and Wout and Laporte are monsters who saved Vingegaard today. And of course hindsight is 20/20 and we might also learn that Roglic said he was too hurt to catch back up, he might drop out, etc. BUT, barring that, the team should have had either Laporte or Wout drop back immediately as they passed Roglic and pulled him back to the group IMO. There's a world in which Roglic only lost 13 seconds as well. Again, maybe he was too hurt, but he was literally right behind the last team car riding alone.

I think it's a lot harder for a team to organize this stuff then some seem to think... DS's might not have all the information in the cars, riders might not hear everything they're being told and vice versa, and there is just generally a whole lot of confusion on a stage like this. I don't think they did Roglic dirty, I think they tried the best they could to save everyone, under the circumstances.
I agree. I don't blame the team at all. They are doing a good job IMO. In hindsight some decisions could have been better but it's difficult to always make the right decision when it's chaos and everyone is all over the place.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I think it's a lot harder for a team to organize this stuff then some seem to think... DS's might not have all the information in the cars, riders might not hear everything they're being told and vice versa, and there is just generally a whole lot of confusion on a stage like this. I don't think they did Roglic dirty, I think they tried the best they could to save everyone, under the circumstances.
he was 10 sec behind group it was on TV, DS have a TV in car

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the effing motorbike which caused the crash (it hit the hay which threw it into the road):

And as we've said already, Jumbo left him out to dry. He's a 3x GT winner, not some scrub who should beg for team help.

Exactly my thought. Only
How about the effing motorbike which caused the crash (it hit the hay which threw it into the road):

And as we've said already, Jumbo left him out to dry. He's a 3x GT winner, not some scrub who should beg for team help.

Terrible. And teams decision to let him in the dry is not fair (only forgivable if they know that he is hurt badly).

Vingegaard had top train and Rogla had to settle for second fiddle.

he was 10 sec behind group it was on TV, DS have a fcking TV in car
That's assuming the TV works properly (from what I've heard it often doesn't) + what I said earlier about communications. However, Bobbie Traksel said on Eurosport, if I heard him right, that Vingegaard's spare bike was in the spot where the captain's usually his, on the right, together with Wout's, whereas Roglic's was on the left.

I'm getting tired man... First Wout crashes before the cobbles even started, then I go to take a p..., come back and Jonas has a mechanical.... ok no panic, Rogla is at the front and looking good... bang, he gets taken down by that thing sticking to the road that gets pushed by a FDJ rider, like wtf... and then suddenly he's behind Jonas... everything goes to ***. I mean, I don't have a problem with Pog winning TDF if he's the best, but I just don't want to see these stupid things decide the race... Hopefully no injuries for Rogla and the only positive thing is that he races the best when he's behind on GC...

Should have team with Jonas waited for Rog when he was behind? It's a valid question... I don't know, he looked pretty behind to me, and I guess it's difficult to make decisions in these hectic moments while you chase like crazy and all of your leaders are dropping like flies. It could have been easily the opposite, with Rogla being saved and Jonas losing lots of time, then Rackham would be here praising SVA for saving Rog's race. That's the thing with having two leaders, it has pros and cons... Ineos for example haven't chased at all with their GC guys behind before all three of them dropped and only then started chasing.

But yeah, it had to be Roglic to get taken down and crash :( ... And the funny thing is who would've pulled Pogi if he ended up behind because of a crash/mechanical and SVA and Laporte are at the front pulling like crazy for Rog/Jonas... but he doesn't need a team anyway, he's resistant to bad luck

You can count 2020 too. Roglic crashed in Dauphine before the Tour and wasn't 100% in that edition.

And he didn't crashed by his own fault, it was a mechanical error on the bike (he was catapulted over the bike on straight downhill section). He even said it was the hardest crash of his career. You can google some of the photos when he is sitting in the team car right after the crash, seeing how much he is suffering. Madman (also a little bit stupid :D) even finished that stage. I already said that one thing I will remember about him the most is his fighting spirit. Basically never giving up. Highlight in that is for sure Paris-Nice 2021 last stage, when he crashed two times (his own fault, getting used to new disc brake bikes), in 2nd crash he dislocated his shoulder, adjusted it by himself and when to chase the peloton. He went all out till the finish line even though he knew the GC was already lost. No need to mention he also almost went over the cliff when chasing (together with one of the Quick-Step guy (i think it was Declercq).

I will say that cyclist in general are one, if not the most hardcore people in all of the sports. Basically it's just one big sufferfest (crashes, amount of traning etc.). And when you look how much (little) do these guy make compare to other sports, it gives me pain.

It's a *** disgrace, that's what it is. Rogla should just stop doing this stupid race and do Giro/Vuelta double every year that he has left.... F this ***

And btw, it seems Haig is out again like last year when he got taken down too in that stupid stage 3. It's like some guys are hated by the "cycling gods"