• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 251 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But can they, though? It's not irrational to expect they can't. Or for Rogla to at least being able to follow what is left standing. That would make much difference too.

But i know we now expect for a heavily injured rider to do miracles against strong filed. But then again we have seen one of such miracles on top of PDBF already.

I fear the PDBF was simply an obvious sign he had the legs in this TdF & the form was there. It was a rolling stage until the final climb. Nothing like what's coming next week though where the repetition of difficulties is going to be fatal to anyone nursing a disability.

If he can't be a threat for Pogacar all he can do is choo choo a bit for Vingegaard, which is very likely not the plan. The plan seems to be to use him to attack Pogacar.

The problem with this is where is he gonna do it? A move on the Galibier or Croix de Fer will be shut down by Ineos. If he loses 2 more minutes in the Alps any real tactical leverage is gone. Today is very likely too early to try something.

Rogla can do it without thinking about tactics or consulting with the team. Just riding on instinct. And yeah its likely Pog will go with him!

@Rackham

Still there were other GC favorites nursing a disability involved at PDBF and in comparisons to Rogla the difference was huge. It's just amazing Rogla was up there with Pogi an Jonas injured like that.

@Red Rick

At around stage 12 i feel that Pogi will try to seal the deal. If that is to happen and if Rogla can at least hang on. In that case we should likely be through the worse. And just about anything to be possible after.

P.S. But obviously we are discussing ideal scenarios by knowing things for Rogla are far from ideal ATM. Most likely scenario still being to abandon after the rest day. To not do further damage and to take future into consideration too.

Reactions: JosefK
@Rackham

Still there were other GC favorites nursing a disability involved at PDBF and in comparisons to Rogla the difference was huge. It's just amazing Rogla was up there with Pogi an Jonas injured like that.

@Red Rick

At around stage 12 i feel that Pogi will try to seal the deal. If that is to happen and if Rogla can at least hang on. In that case we should likely be through the worse. And just about anything to be possible after.

P.S. But obviously we are discussing ideal scenarios by knowing things for Rogla are far from ideal ATM. Most likely scenario still being to abandon after the rest day. To not do further damage and to take future into consideration too.
Vingegaard will have to attack Pogacar in the Alps. When that happens it's likely Roglic gets dropped.

It's very hard for me to see Vingegaard and Pog do a Schleck/Contador track standing exhibition

Reactions: acm
Wednesday‘s stage (July 13th) looks promising for us, Primoz‘ fans. I hope he will attack on Telegraphe, then solo Galibier, and Granon.

He could use his experience from Vuelta 2021 (attack on penultimate climb) and from TdF 2020 (Loze finish).

In Vuelta 2021, Covadonga, not even Bernal had any chance. In TdF 2020, Loze, only the master of high altitude MTF finishes, Superman Lopez, beat him.

Remember, on Loze 2020, Superman went crazy, Sepp Kuss was laughing all ascent long, Primoz was the strong and powerful Maillot Jaune, and Pogi looked like „This will be my first and only Tour de France“. Tadej got humiliated that day.

History could repeat next Wednesday. Primoz loves Telegraphe and Galibier, and will love Granon. And, even better, he‘ll know he rides Galibier once more, plus Alpe d‘Huez, next day. These climbs suit him.

I feared he would have to quit due to his shoulder. It seems all good now. He‘ll be in his beloved alps soon, now.

For today, I expect a peak Tadej. He will probably deteriorate from next week on. Remember, this is TdF 2022. It‘s not Carapaz, whom Tadej has to beat; it‘s Roglic. And Roglic proved to be unbeatable for all TdF 2022 peloton, more than once, in past years.

Wednesday‘s stage (July 13th) looks promising for us, Primoz‘ fans. I hope he will attack on Telegraphe, then solo Galibier, and Granon.

He could use his experience from Vuelta 2021 (attack on penultimate climb) and from TdF 2020 (Loze finish).

In Vuelta 2021, Covadonga, not even Bernal had any chance. In TdF 2020, Loze, only the master of high altitude MTF finishes, Superman Lopez, beat him.

Remember, on Loze 2020, Superman went crazy, Sepp Kuss was laughing all ascent long, Primoz was the strong and powerful Maillot Jaune, and Pogi looked like „This will be my first and only Tour de France“. Tadej got humiliated that day.

History could repeat next Wednesday. Primoz loves Telegraphe and Galibier, and will love Granon. And, even better, he‘ll know he rides Galibier once more, plus Alpe d‘Huez, next day. These climbs suit him.

I feared he would have to quit due to his shoulder. It seems all good now. He‘ll be in his beloved alps soon, now.

For today, I expect a peak Tadej. He will probably deteriorate from next week on. Remember, this is TdF 2022. It‘s not Carapaz, whom Tadej has to beat; it‘s Roglic. And Roglic proved to be unbeatable for all TdF 2022 peloton, more than once, in past years.
Even Bernal... There is still the myth Bernal is a first tier climber when in fact I struggle to put him even above Carapaz. Pogacar, Roglic and Vingegaard are in a completly different level.

Reactions: JosefK
Thanks...what's your take? Care to make a summary?
He says the problem is the back, he fell hard on his lower back. The shoulder isn't the worst. He uses the word "surviving". Even correcting the overly optimistic reporter. He also talks about the risk of others crashing and that he doesn't hope anyone else will crash, but that it can happen to anyone.
So I guess he refers to the possiblity of Pog crashing.

Since he's behind a mask I struggle to tell if he even smiles, but he doesn't appear like his happy self as far as I can see ;/

Vingegaard will have to attack Pogacar in the Alps. When that happens it's likely Roglic gets dropped.

It's very hard for me to see Vingegaard and Pog do a Schleck/Contador track standing exhibition

If they will decide for Rogla to stay and to compete. The way i see it he shouldn't try to attack or anything like that just yet. First objective would be to not get dropped by the end of the stage 12. I don't know how an injured rider could achieve that against such strong field but still this is Roglič. Hence this would be my plan A.

Or as he said in an interview. This would be surviving.

On top of that he should be vigilant to join attacks by other teams. JV wont' help him here. Lets say Ineos, BORA ... who cares. If they go and he is positioned well to jump along on the bandwagon. Not to be too enthusiastic about it. Beyond doing something like that i wouldn't suggest attacking just yet. Not getting dropped should do for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
What's your take: if he's still around, and in sufficient vicinity, would Roglic try to get ahead of Vingo in the GC on the final ITT? (I am not asking whether he could do it, but whether he would try to do it.)

I guess not, but it would be nice if he were in a position in which he could.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
What's your take: if he's still around, and in sufficient vicinity, would Roglic try to get ahead of Vingo in the GC on the final ITT? (I am not asking whether he could do it, but whether he would try to do it.)

I guess not, but it would be nice if he were in a position in which he could.
Obviously he would try. If he's still able to get a good position in final GC he will go all out. It would be ridiculous if he doesn't give it his all in a TT just to not overtake a teammate.

Reactions: yaco, acm and noob
lots of mentions on lanterne rouge about rog's bad positioning -- even before the crash (for instance Calais), but positioning can be that you have a slight decrease in ability and therefore struggle to even make it to the right position.

rog is admirable, but he is not better than 2020 and, imo, at the start of decline.

lots of mentions on lanterne rouge about rog's bad positioning -- even before the crash (for instance Calais), but positioning can be that you have a slight decrease in ability and therefore struggle to even make it to the right position.

rog is admirable, but he is not better than 2020 and, imo, at the start of decline.
It's possible he is starting to decline, but he's never been a hero at positioning so I don't see how that would be an indication of a possible decline.

Reactions: noob

TRENDING THREADS