• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 256 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not responding to a trollish posts per se, but in terms of Roglic riding as a domestique, what's the point anymore? He's so far down on GC now there's no more two pronged attacks. He shot those bullets & now he's done.

He's injured as well. So "riding in support of Jonas" (considering the stregnth of the rest of the team) is just a label now, not an actual benefit for Jumbo on the road. They had one shot & maximized it today. Pogacar didn't know whether Roglic was okay or not so he had to follow. Now he won't, no one else will either.

As a GT champion himself with his own ambitions, Roglic now has to do what's best for his own career (looking beyond this TdF).

Teams adapt rider's profile to the outcomes of stages. Roglic is a champion whose talent would be wasted if he always worked as a donkey.

No point talking with you. Bye.
He shouldn't always be working as a domestique. He's by far the best 1 week stage racer JV has and he is lethal on puncheur finishes. But in the high mountains in GT's it's clearly the best thing for the team.

He shouldn't always be working as a domestique. He's by far the best 1 week stage racer JV has and he is lethal on puncheur finishes. But in the high mountains in GT's it's clearly the best thing for the team.
At his absolute peak, Roglic was one of if not the best climber. But as I said, hes 2 years of his peak and so its only natural that hes not as good as, say, Vingegaard who is the most pure climber/GC-rider you can find out there at the moment. We have seen throughout the year that Roglic has been limited in the mountains (which is nothing compared to these stages in the Alps), so this was only natural today. I'll take it as far as in hindsight, Roglic crashing and therefore using himself as a decoy on this particular stage was best case in order to win Tour de France since Pogacar took the bait.

Abandoning now? Roglic has much more morale and class than some of the posters in here, so of course he doesnt just abandon. That would be an incredibly bad look.

I'm not responding to a trollish posts per se, but in terms of Roglic riding as a domestique, what's the point anymore? He's so far down on GC now there's no more two pronged attacks. He shot those bullets & now he's done.

He's injured as well. So "riding in support of Jonas" (considering the stregnth of the rest of the team) is just a label now, not an actual benefit for Jumbo on the road. They had one shot & maximized it today. Pogacar didn't know whether Roglic was okay or not so he had to follow. Now he won't, no one else will either.

As a GT champion himself with his own ambitions, Roglic now has to do what's best for his own career (looking beyond this TdF).
He will ride like Menchov in 2007. Ready to support his Danish teammate as long as he is in the race (and then go win the Vuelta later).

Good job today on stage 11. If you have Roglič working for you then you are more or less obliged to win the stage. Or more than that. I guess totally out of GC contention now and maybe tomorrow to go after a stage win. If today Pogačar would let him go then likely the race could end up better for Pogačar. But you just can't let Roglič go. I can understand that.

Realistically GC ambitions fell apart on stage 5. Where he was left alone in the bunch and i guess a bit before that as his bike was in third position on the car. Still. This is not the first or the last race Roglič won or didn't win.

Better days will come. On top of day the way he performs. Injured. That is my boy. Tour is not out of the picture either. As long as he will be prepared to do the work and motivate himself. He still has around two tries left. Just look at Thomas.

Chapeau.

Reactions: acm
Fantastic from Roglic. He sacrifices any chance of a podium for himself to give the team it's only chance of overall victory. To see an injured team leader stay in the race and contribute like this for the benefit of his team is a refreshing change from what we've seen from the likes of Pinot, O'Connor and Bernal in recent years (all of whom the teams felt were clearly physically still able to contribute to the team). Between Rog and Pog I'd argue that Slovenian parents know how to bring up their kids.

Yeah. I feel it's safe to say today wouldn't have happened. For Jonas. Would he not have had Primož at his side. As for the talks about demise. Now clearly Pogačar is on demise. Maybe he can still win some races in Slovenia.

All in all for winning the Tour you need to be a bit of an ***. Primož still has some work left to do in this regard. But it will come.

Personally and for the remainder of the Tour. If i would be Primož. I would consider my job to be done. If Jonas wants to win it it should be more on him now. And other team members.

Primož to act accordingly. Attitude appropriate for having your bike placed in third position on the team car and in accordance on how he was treated by his team on stage 5.

Last edited:
Pogacar basically lost not because of Roglic, but because he believed 1) he posed a threat and that 2) he should hence cover his attacks and also Jonas' attacks. Additionally, he still towed Jonas in the Galibier.

If you ask me who is physically in this year's Tour the best rider I just have one answer: Pogacar. But what gives you a win is also self-knowledge and tactical readings and although Pogacar is sharp, today he basically lost because of believing he his much more powerful than what he really is.

Personally and for the remainder of the Tour. If i would be Primož. I would consider my job to be done. If Jonas wants to win it it should be more on him now. And other team members.

Primož to act accordingly. Attitude appropriate for having your bike placed in third position on the team car and in accordance on how he was treated by his team on stage 5.

Agree 100%. I hope tomorrow he DNS and just heal up. Then prepare for Vuelta and stomp there.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Agree 100%. I hope tomorrow he DNS and just heal up. Then prepare for Vuelta and stomp there.

Knowing him he will likely stay and help Jonas. As i doubt Jonas can do it alone. In the end Roglič might end up nurturing two Tour champions.

Lets hope he at least goes for it tomorrow. On the queen stage. Considering his job on this Tour was more or less done. It should really be up to Jonas and the rest of the team now. And in addition nobody will chase down a cyclist with his bike in third position on the team car.

We'll see.

• Haha
Reactions: stonerider
Knowing him he will likely stay and help Jonas. As i doubt Jonas can do it alone. In the end Roglič might end up nurturing two Tour champions.

Lets hope he at least goes for it tomorrow. On the queen stage. Considering his job on this Tour was more or less done. It should really be up to Jonas and the rest of the team now. And in addition nobody will chase down a cyclist with his bike in third position on the team car.

We'll see.
Do you seriously believe what you just wrote?

Why he is on donkey duty is irrelevant. That it clearly is the best thing for JV when he is on donkey duty is what's important. Lesson learnt for the future.
Actually, it's testimony to his strength of character as well as his toughness that he's in the race to help his teammate. Most GT prima donnas pack up and go home after a booboo that costs them serious GT placement and cry in their big pillows.

"Knowing him he will likely stay and help Jonas. As i doubt Jonas can do it alone. In the end Roglič might end up nurturing two Tour champions." and "Lets hope he at least goes for it tomorrow. On the queen stage."

Again: Do you seriously mean what youre posting?

So what you are saying is you are OK with Roglič going after queen stage win tomorrow? As Jonas got this? Basically Jonas won this Tour edition alone today?

That is your version of it?

As i wrote in Pogi thread. JV started with the pressure all the way back at Télégraphe. The amount of chasing Pogačar had to do was at least twice as much as JV did attacking. Two strong guys against one and they wear him down. On what happens tomorrow. I fell it's down to Rogla. Will he go all in for Jonas or will let them fight it out themself.

We'll see.

As i wrote in Pogi thread. JV started with the pressure all the way back at Télégraphe. The amount of chasing Pogačar had to do was at least twice as much as JV did attacking. Two strong guys against one and they wear him down. On what happens tomorrow. I fell it's down to Rogla. Will he go all in for Jonas or will let them fight it out themself.

We'll see.
I think Rogla is out of the TdF picture. Pog will not cover him any more. Rog can play a domestique or play his own game trying to.win a stage. I think he's too injured to win a stage and too proud not to help Jonas and JV.

My personal believe is, he should DNF. He have Jonas everything today he needs to win TdF. Now heal up and fight Pog another day.

Reactions: Miha81
FXjighFWIAItP3x

TRENDING THREADS