• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 257 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic: Now that we are both domestiques we can hang more in the back
Kuss: * Laughs nervously*

FXlCCayXkAM14JY

I guess this should be settled then. Rogla found a way on how to beat Pogi at the Tour. I knew he would. From his perspective this was done yestrday.

Looking back. On some of the previous GTs. Rogla always gave Pogi a fighting chance. When Pogi was down. On this Tour edition Pogi already acknowledged. That Jonas is the man to beat. Still. Pogi was rather greedy. Decided to give no chance to Rogla at all.

That caused him the stage and maybe this Tour edition.

Vuelta should indeed be interesting race this year. And i guess if Jonas wins this Tour edition. Next year to see if he will still be able to win in such fashion or if it was a flux.

Fantastic from Roglic. He sacrifices any chance of a podium for himself to give the team it's only chance of overall victory. To see an injured team leader stay in the race and contribute like this for the benefit of his team is a refreshing change from what we've seen from the likes of Pinot, O'Connor and Bernal in recent years (all of whom the teams felt were clearly physically still able to contribute to the team). Between Rog and Pog I'd argue that Slovenian parents know how to bring up their kids.

What co-leader in Ben O'Connor's team had the level of a Jonas Vingegaard to motivate one's self to work for after being injured?

I think TJV is not gonna underestimate Pog given 2020 and it's gonna keep Roglic as long as he can help meaning Hautacam stage. If he feels good he might even go for breakaway, Peyragudes stage looks quite good. Vuelta is not a given this year, Pog goes this year and honestly Roglic looks off since Turini. Can he go back to peak form right on time? Who knows but TJV knows they have an unique situation and they will give it all to take the Tour. While the Vuelta record is great to have, Vuelta looks stacked this year.

Fantastic from Roglic. He sacrifices any chance of a podium for himself to give the team it's only chance of overall victory. To see an injured team leader stay in the race and contribute like this for the benefit of his team is a refreshing change from what we've seen from the likes of Pinot, O'Connor and Bernal in recent years (all of whom the teams felt were clearly physically still able to contribute to the team).

What situation with Pinot are you referring to? Just the fact that he didn't do much in 2020 with his injured back?

Roglic: Now that we are both domestiques we can hang more in the back
Kuss: * Laughs nervously*

FXlCCayXkAM14JY

Of course it‘s also about future, about money, and so on: if Jonas should win this TdF, it‘s absolutely great for Primoz, all their current riders, etc.

The sponsors would be satisfied, and it would be a reward for all the work and passion and money they put in over the last years. But it‘s far from over. Long way to go to Paris…

As long as he's not too injured and/or not able to contribute with anything, there's no way he'll be allowed to leave the race. JV is not going to risk losing the Tour for a better chance of winning the Vuelta.

He's too much of a class act so he'll do his duty with a smile on his face but others in his situation would be forgiven for a DNF considering their own career & season is at stake. Plus there's the fact Vingegaard is a terminator & the strongest rider in the race. It's not even close right now ergo Roglic isn't needed. Kruijswijk & Kuss are literally stronger than Roglic in this race so after his 'heroics' yesterday to break Pogacar, his utility now doesn't extend much beyond appearing in the team's #samenwinnen social media propaganda.

Honestly this is the first time I have the feeling Jumbo are mismanaging Roglic, especially right now. This happens to other riders in other teams ( i.e. Pinot for example was forced to finish the 2020 TdF by FDJ in what was a ridiculous self-defeating stupid decision), but it's the first time I feel something similar is happening with Roglic & Jumbo, i.e. the team putting its own interests above him.

Reactions: acm

TRENDING THREADS