• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 258 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's too much of a class act so he'll do his duty with a smile on his face but others in his situation would be forgiven for a DNF considering their own career & season is at stake. Plus there's the fact Vingegaard is a terminator & the strongest rider in the race. It's not even close right now ergo Roglic isn't needed. Kruijswijk & Kuss are literally stronger than Roglic in this race so after his 'heroics' yesterday to break Pogacar, his utility now doesn't extend much beyond appearing in the team's #samenwinnen social media propaganda.

Honestly this is the first time I have the feeling Jumbo are mismanaging Roglic, especially right now. This happens to other riders in other teams ( i.e. Pinot for example was forced to finish the 2020 TdF by FDJ in what was a ridiculous self-defeating stupid decision), but it's the first time I feel something similar is happening with Roglic & Jumbo, i.e. the team putting its own interests above him.

It doesn't have much to do with him being a class act or displaying chivalry. Not that I doubt he's a genuine good guy.

He's doing what he's paid to do, and that is to ride for the team. He's obviously not at his best now, but it's not like he's being dropped like he was after his crash last year either. He's still good enough to be of value. I assume he was hit harder by yesterday's efforts than his teammates, but that doesn't mean he won't have better days later on.

But if he's risking his own health too much, then he obviously shouldn't continue.

It doesn't have much to do with him being a class act or displaying chivalry. Not that I doubt he's a genuine good guy.

He's doing what he's paid to do, and that is to ride for the team. He's obviously not at his best now, but it's not like he's being dropped like he was after his crash last year either. He's still good enough to be of value. I assume he was hit harder by yesterday's efforts than his teammates, but that doesn't mean he won't have better days later on.

But if he's risking his own health too much, then he obviously shouldn't continue.
Yeah pretty much.

Now the Alps are over he can take a few rest days in the back of the bunch. Boot him up for Mende and don't make him force the issue if he's going down.

He's too much of a class act so he'll do his duty with a smile on his face but others in his situation would be forgiven for a DNF considering their own career & season is at stake. Plus there's the fact Vingegaard is a terminator & the strongest rider in the race. It's not even close right now ergo Roglic isn't needed. Kruijswijk & Kuss are literally stronger than Roglic in this race so after his 'heroics' yesterday to break Pogacar, his utility now doesn't extend much beyond appearing in the team's #samenwinnen social media propaganda.

Honestly this is the first time I have the feeling Jumbo are mismanaging Roglic, especially right now. This happens to other riders in other teams ( i.e. Pinot for example was forced to finish the 2020 TdF by FDJ in what was a ridiculous self-defeating stupid decision), but it's the first time I feel something similar is happening with Roglic & Jumbo, i.e. the team putting its own interests above him.
Wout was mismanaged before worlds last year. Maybe on his own accord though, who knows. But still sent to too many races in the wrong times. Which is another form of mismanagement.

They'll send him home if they realize his vuelta is in danger I believe. (Or rather the DS:es are probably having different objectives in the team - again.)

(Jonas aint no terminator anymore than Roglic was one at vuelta 2021 :D )

I think this year was his last chance as a Tour leader with Jumbo Visma. They might still let him do the Giro or Vuelta, but in the Tour he'll be a helper.

Well, as a wise, calm & eloquent character in South Park would reply in such a case, "screw you guys, I'm going home". Roglic is a champion, not a disposable cog in a wannabe sky machine. Jumbo can take a hike if that's their plan.

BTW, I have no idea whose decision it was to make him one of the middling grade domestiques (beneath Kruijswijk & Kuss for sure), but as such he avoids bottle carrying (& helping Jonas take a bathroom break, which is literally 'the worst' job), but he also avoided going hard for as long possible on Alpe after he'd done his work.

I think what some people had in mind when they imagined Rogla as 'super domestique' was closing down attacks until the final km's. Today? He finished borderline pianissimo with Konrad & Schönberger 11 minutes down.

So at least he didn't wreck himself going deep.

I think Primoz will not leave this TdF. He‘s much too excited to win the GC with the team, that means with Jonas. And it‘s good that he stays. He will benefit in the Vuelta. And, JV and Jonas need him.

He joined the team after his time with Adria Mobil. He was second in the TdF, and had many big victories with the team. He will now be an important factor in Jonas‘ attempt to win the Tour. I cannot imagine he‘ll do a DNF/DNS. Look what Jonas did gor him in Dauphine. What Wout did for him in Nice.

Primoz, Wout and Jonas have spent so many week and months together, in training camps in some of the most remote areas of Europe, in recent years. These guys probably see each other more often than their families. I‘m sure that has created friendships among them. They know and trust each other, are loyal, fight for another. They win and lose together.

Primoz and Jonas both experienced a TdF 2nd place in GC behind Pogi. Their task now is to put one of them to 1st place, in front of Pogi. That is one of the hardest projects in pro cycling. They need every man. And Primoz stays very valuable for this project. Now, Jonas needs Primoz. Primoz will be loyal. In future, it could be the other way around. Then Vingegaard will be the loyal teamplayer he was in the Dauphine, for example.

I think Primoz will not leave this TdF. He‘s much too excited to win the GC with the team, that means with Jonas. And it‘s good that he stays. He will benefit in the Vuelta. And, JV and Jonas need him.

He joined the team after his time with Adria Mobil. He was second in the TdF, and had many big victories with the team. He will now be an important factor in Jonas‘ attempt to win the Tour. I cannot imagine he‘ll do a DNF/DNS. Look what Jonas did gor him in Dauphine. What Wout did for him in Nice.

Primoz, Wout and Jonas have spent so many week and months together, in training camps in some of the most remote areas of Europe, in recent years. These guys probably see each other more often than their families. I‘m sure that has created friendships among them. They know and trust each other, are loyal, fight for another. They win and lose together.

Primoz and Jonas both experienced a TdF 2nd place in GC behind Pogi. Their task now is to put one of them to 1st place, in front of Pogi. That is one of the hardest projects in pro cycling. They need every man. And Primoz stays very valuable for this project. Now, Jonas needs Primoz. Primoz will be loyal. In future, it could be the other way around. Then Vingegaard will be the loyal teamplayer he was in the Dauphine, for example.

Okay? I guess.

On the other hand, Roglic was winning Paris-Nice all on his own (Col de Turini for example), but in the final stage he overdressed & cooked in the cold weather whilst Jumbo drove the stage too hard at the start. That's why he needed WvA.

In the Dauphiné, it's a weird one because Jonas V wasn't unleashed properly by Jumbo for the win. So Roglic was going to win that race unless Vingegaard became a rival (something Jumbo didn't want). But for every stage or race over the past 3 years where Jumbo could say "your team won the race for you!", there's always a Giro 2019 counter-example where the team lost Roglic the race.

Bottom line, Jumbo were nowhere before Roglic became their serial winner so I reckon before they envisage turning him into a new Steven Kruijswijk, they should show a little respect. That applies to this current TdF as well. I don't just mean empty platitudes on social media either (like calling Rog a "fighter"), I mean literally doing what's right for him first.

That's impossible an equation though; you don't have Jonas do double GT. Especially not if he wins TdF. So he cannot give back at another GT to Primoz.

@Rackham:

I agree, but I suppose that the team management‘s thoughts are now more and more only with Vinge.

It looks good for Wout for Green in Paris. Primoz seems to heal, and of course still will have „his“ ITT. But I think they all are now more and more excited that this year, there seems to be a chance to beat Pogi. That‘s probably the main issue in the moment. TdF GC success is so complicated, and in Covid times even more so…

No. Not as long as he is still fit enough to be of use to his team. I can't think of a teammate of a GT leader and favourite who abandoned to prepare for his own goals.

I think this year was his last chance as a Tour leader with Jumbo Visma. They might still let him do the Giro or Vuelta, but in the Tour he'll be a helper.
Nah. If they could be co-captains this year, they can and will be next year as well.

Reactions: johnymax and noob
This talk about abandoning the race is just pure nonsense. Holy moly, how selfish can you be? Im sure that haven't even crossed his mind, especially after Jonas, a good friend, is in yellow. Some of you guys are absolutely insane.
not in his dna...but for the flip flop posters here....its totally in their wheelhouse....sign of the times. i'm a big roglic fan...but as has been said here many times by carols, etc...we must enjoy them while they are in their prime as they are human and will decline.

Reactions: JosefK
No. Not as long as he is still fit enough to be of use to his team. I can't think of a teammate of a GT leader and favourite who abandoned to prepare for his own goals.

Tom Dumoulin rage-quit the 2020 Vuelta, citing fatigue. Nobody said anything when Dumoulin left Jumbo a man down in that GT. There are many, many other examples throughout cycling as well, all with various excuses/pretexts/mitigating factors.

This talk about abandoning the race is just pure nonsense. Holy moly, how selfish can you be? Im sure that haven't even crossed his mind, especially after Jonas, a good friend, is in yellow. Some of you guys are absolutely insane.

Context is everything.

Roglic is injured & according to reports he's not getting better. This isn't about 'abandoning' or being selfish, it's about looking after the rider. Roglic's health > Vingegaard's TdF.

Likely he is not told to do anything. He likely is asked and he decides after. Like on stage 11. Rogla knowing you are injured and can't win this Tour. Due to us doing you a solid on stage 5. Can you sacrifice yourself for Jonas and deliver half beaten Pogi to the half of the last hill?

Why not.

Personally i do hope that they are not making any injury worse. Beyond that i feel that he is acting rather professionally about it and when he will be in a position that Jonas is ATM. He will expect the same in return.

Good performance today on stage 12. Dropping some of the favorites from the bunch.

Johan Bruyneel said on The Move that he suspects the team even last year felt Vingegaard was better than Roglic and they only didn’t announce he was the true leader out of respect for Roglic. Roglic so close and yet so far. 2019 they sent him to the wrong GT, 2020 they brought in Dumoulin as a potential threat and distraction and then Pogacar dropped an absolute nuke out of nowhere, 2021 he crashed and suddenly there’s this Danish nobody who, in 2022, it becomes clear is an absolute freakshow on a bike. How it’s possible that in all likelihood Roglic and Dumoulin will retire with zero Tours between them is beyond me.

• Sad
Reactions: acm and Rackham