• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 261 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The reason behind going with 2 leaders at Jumbo was the perceived reality Pogacar > everyone else, aka he was the strongest rider in the world. So it could make sense to weaken him with two pronged attacks. But the reality of this TdF paints a different picture, i.e. Vingegaard is as strong as Pog & perhaps even stronger. So if Roglic wants to win the Tour he's got to beat Vingegaard as well.

I don't see how having co-leaders is justifiable when one them is literally the man to beat & the strongest rider in the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The reason behind going with 2 leaders at Jumbo was the perceived reality Pogacar > everyone else, aka he was the strongest rider in the world. So it could make sense to weaken him with two pronged attacks. But the reality of this TdF paints a different picture, i.e. Vingegaard is as strong as Pog & perhaps even stronger. So if Roglic wants to win the Tour he's got to beat Vingegaard as well.

I don't see how having co-leaders is justifiable when one them is literally the man to beat & the strongest rider in the race.
So far jumbo,with goal of winning TdF, has been smart. First off, i am a Roglic fan, but it seems that he is always crashing, and bad ones...so as good as it seems to be loyal and always be hopeful for Roglic, Vingo seems to be doing the job. Cycling is a cruel sport. We have all seen that...sometimes our favorites do not align with the planets and stars....and falls from grace can be graceful, or cruel...enjoy them while you can..things are always changing. We must assume that JV knew what we did not...its always the case...before this Tour...their goal is to win TdF...leader doesnt matter as much to them as it does to us Roglic fans.

Likely he is hurting his Vuelta chances this year too. Staying at this Tour. A rather big sacrifice.

That or he is on a pro cyclist rehabilitation program. Secure Jonas 2 minute advantage, overcome cat 3 climbs, overcome cat 2 climbs, ... now you are prepared for Vuelta.

In all seriousness they likely feel they still need him. Any amount of work he can do is much needed. Lets not forget they can't afford to give the jersey away anymore. And defending it takes a toll. Lets say one day van Aert has a bad day. Not unreasonable to expect. What then? Send Kuss to the front? Before the hill starts?

Long way to go.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Possibly, the race for 1st place in this year‘s TdF‘s final GC will be nearly as close as never before (so, only about few seconds difference between first and second). It‘s now or never for Jumbo-Visma. Of course, they‘ll need Primoz for these remaining stages. The team now finally wants to know how it feels to have won this bike race.

2020 and 2021 made them hungry. Now it‘s time. Jonas in second place, behind Pogi, in Paris, 2022, would be another bad disappointment. They won‘t want to wait any longer.

Jonas and Primoz are as close as are Pogi and Majka. These are Lance Armstrong/George Hincapie relationships, or Jan Ullrich/Andreas Klöden.

Reactions: Luthor
dont think Roglic will be Jumbo leader again at the Tour

Next year possibly a Giro win ? (if Hindley goes to the Tour as I expect he will)

In the future maybe Primoz could win day races like Lombardy, San Sebastian , La Flethce , ahe Worlds

I dont think he has it to win Le Tour and Jumbo will be fully behind Vingrgaard

The way things are looking now, that would be a shock. Hopefully, he is getting in good training and riding within himself. If this is all he’s capable of right now, then he is very, very hurt.

Some theories:

- he's as bad as he looks, he's trying as hard as he can but this is all he's got left. At which point he's sacrificing his own season for nothing, i.e. being a lower grade domestique doing a few pulls (or as Maassen said, he's no longer capable of following the top 10) isn't going to make or break Jumbo's TdF. It's like they're keeping him here for the final photos in Paris or for sponsorship reasons & give zero sh*ts about his injury & form.

- he's riding to a 'delta', i.e. preserving himself for the Vuelta, never going over a certain limit & doing as little as possible, under instructions from the team.

- he's doing the above but without the team's approval, "Ah my legs huh, not good eh!".

In any case I want what's best for Roglic. This is no ordinary rider & considering his season so far (like riding injured in Itzulia & the way he was treated here in the TdF), I no longer look at Jumbo from the same perspective as before, i.e. the question "is Jumbo doing what's best for Primoz Roglic?" now has reason to exist. It didn't before.

For some perspective, these are the same people who told him not to do the Olympics ITT last year after his performance in the road race. He overruled that to earn one of the top wins of his career. And those Olympics where he went from getting dropped like a stone in the road race to absolutely annihilating the ITT 4 days later should give his fans some 'hope' (small hope maybe, but still hope) he can pull this around & perform at the Vuelta.

Probably against Tadej Pogacar who really needs a GT win this season after losing 'his' TdF. That would be a spectacle to look forward to. Unless of course Jumbo says "we're taking Vingegaard as co-leader to the Vuelta!". No cervezas for Jumbo if they do that.

Some theories:

- he's as bad as he looks, he's trying as hard as he can but this is all he's got left. At which point he's sacrificing his own season for nothing, i.e. being a lower grade domestique doing a few pulls (or as Maassen said, he's no longer capable of following the top 10) isn't going to make or break Jumbo's TdF. It's like they're keeping him here for the final photos in Paris or for sponsorship reasons & give zero sh*ts about his injury & form.

- he's riding to a 'delta', i.e. preserving himself for the Vuelta, never going over a certain limit & doing as little as possible, under instructions from the team.

- he's doing the above but without the team's approval, "Ah my legs huh, not good eh!".

In any case I want what's best for Roglic. This is no ordinary rider & considering his season so far (like riding injured in Itzulia & the way he was treated here in the TdF), I no longer look at Jumbo from the same perspective as before, i.e. the question "is Jumbo doing what's best for Primoz Roglic?" now has reason to exist. It didn't before.

For some perspective, these are the same people who told him not to do the Olympics ITT last year after his performance in the road race. He overruled that to earn one of the top wins of his career. And those Olympics where he went from getting dropped like a stone in the road race to absolutely annihilating the ITT 4 days later should give his fans some 'hope' (small hope maybe, but still hope) he can pull this around & perform at the Vuelta.

Probably against Tadej Pogacar who really needs a GT win this season after losing 'his' TdF. That would be a spectacle to look forward to. Unless of course Jumbo says "we're taking Vingegaard as co-leader to the Vuelta!". No cervezas for Jumbo if they do that.
Roglic' pull on AdH was pretty strong still.

I think they're trying to spare him in stages like yesterday. Not even because Vuelta, but because Roglic on a decent day is still better than any other domestique.

And let's not pretend Rog wouldn't have locked up the Giro by day 2.

Roglic would have crushed that recent Giro.

From a team's point of view it makes more sense to have Roglič in the race as winning the Tour is more important than another Vuelta and its not as if Roglič loses any chance of winning the Vuelta by staying in the Tour

From his Instagram: Primoz Roglic (@primozroglic) • Instagram photos and videos

Empty legs but warm heart, feeling all the support on the road. Hvala!

Let's see what injuries say about the next stages

That's the potentially bad part, i.e. riding injured.

He did that in Itzulia already & had to skip Flèche & Liège as a result.

TdF is the big prize for Jumbo, Giro doesn't really matters to them. As long as Roglic stays a top5 climber in the world and he is healthy, he is gonna be 100 % in the Tour team next year. Pogacar is very strong and just because he cracked on Granon, doesn't mean he is easy to beat. He had 39s ahead of Jonas and Jonas didn't prove he can beat Pog without team's help. Also it's always good to have a shadow leader, in case something happens with Jonas.

Jonas and Primoz are very close, it was Roglic who vouched for him and taught him a lot of things. He is prob staying because he wants to celebrate the yellow with the team. With Pog going for Vuelta and him not able to hit his peak since Turini, Vuelta is far from certainty. I really hope we're gonna see Roglic from Vuelta 2021 again, he was such a joy to watch.

I'll post this here only because of Eurosport's commentary yesterday, i.e. Carlton Kirby created a complete fake narrative about the split between Pogacar & Vingegaard happening at the start of the Mende stage "because Jumbo went back for Roglic who'd had a problem". He kept on repeating throughout the stage as well, like an idiot. It turns out the truth was much different:

TdF is the big prize for Jumbo, Giro doesn't really matters to them. As long as Roglic stays a top5 climber in the world and he is healthy, he is gonna be 100 % in the Tour team next year. Pogacar is very strong and just because he cracked on Granon, doesn't mean he is easy to beat. He had 39s ahead of Jonas and Jonas didn't prove he can beat Pog without team's help. Also it's always good to have a shadow leader, in case something happens with Jonas.

I think this depends on what was said when he signed a new contract last year.

I'd be surprised if he willingly signed the end of his winning days just to serve the team's objective. It's way too soon.

Good decision. Especially yesterday Rogla was really starting to struggle. Considering a heat wave will now affect this race too. The circumstances would be just too much. And it's not like he could help Jonas anymore. He was hanging on just to survive on the last couple of stages.

We will always remember your sacrifice on stage 11. Without you Jonas would never be two and a half minutes ahead ATM. Hopefully somebody does such unselfish act for you on some future Tour edition. On top of that you were injured.

Heal well and onward to new challenges. As for the team and Jonas. It's on them now to deliver. Likely Rogla not being there will affect team dynamics in some way.

As for all the talks about his status, form ... this was and always will be on him. His preparation and motivation. In top form he has nothing to fear about. Looking forward to that.

TRENDING THREADS