• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 263 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Didn’t realize this was an amorous fan club I was a part of it. I guess the whole “Asian prince” thing should have tipped me off. Regardless, he did was he could for the team; now it’s time to recover and prepare for #4.

I am unsure if I hope he goes to the Giro or to the Tour next year. I think he rode the only Giro in the last 4 years he wouldn’t win and that because of a still strong Nibali and an unknown Carapaz. 2020, 2021, 2022 he wins easily IMO.

To say Roglic doesn’t rate as highly as TGH, Hindley, Carapaz, GT, even Bernal because Tour > Giro > Vuelta is to ignore non-GTs, context, numbers, and the eye test. I agree the peloton would rather have a Tour win or even a Giro win, all things being equal, but I’d be surprised if the peloton would rather race against Roglic than those guys. I’m pretty sure they know what Roglic is. See Pogacar chasing him down even though he was injured and 3 minutes back.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
You said Roglic should go to a small team if he wants to be 'leader' at the TdF. History says Jumbo was a small team until he started winning again, again & again. Then WvA was added & the rest is history.

But if you think B&B Hotels would be Rogla's level if he wants team leadership in the TdF... then I'm not the one with extreme bias.

I said B&B was a small team

I said Roglci should find another team if he wants to lead at theTour now

I ddint say he should go to B7B hotels

I guess you werent very good at "all firs are tress but not all tress are firs" logic at school :rolleyes:

But Jumbo was actually a small team.

At least until Roglic started compiling race wins for fun (they owe him a lot). Their big mistake in hindsight was 2019, i.e. that TdF was right there for the taking & Roglic at his Vuelta level would have won, absolutely in my mind.
You said Roglic should go to a small team if he wants to be 'leader' at the TdF. History says Jumbo was a small team until he started winning again, again & again. Then WvA was added & the rest is history.
Calling the successor to Rabobank a small team is really a special take on ignoring cycling history and upping Roglic's pedigree lol

Reactions: Sandisfan
Calling the successor to Rabobank a small team is really a special take on ignoring cycling history and upping Roglic's pedigree lol

There was a very candid interview of Frans Maassen a while back who spoke about how in 2016, as a team they had no idea how to race ITT's & do GT's. Richard Plugge said the same.

It was a small team by comparison to the top teams (especially Sky, of course) & they admit as much themselves (in fact they're very proud of how far they've come on a middling budget compared to other top teams). Roglic himself is on a smaller wage than he could earn elsewhere for that very reason (Jumbo is certainly not rich whereas Ineos is).

Rabobank's 'successor' went into the wilderness & Roglic played a pivotal role in returning the team to the top.

Didn’t realize this was an amorous fan club I was a part of it. I guess the whole “Asian prince” thing should have tipped me off. Regardless, he did was he could for the team; now it’s time to recover and prepare for #4.

I am unsure if I hope he goes to the Giro or to the Tour next year. I think he rode the only Giro in the last 4 years he wouldn’t win and that because of a still strong Nibali and an unknown Carapaz. 2020, 2021, 2022 he wins easily IMO.

To say Roglic doesn’t rate as highly as TGH, Hindley, Carapaz, GT, even Bernal because Tour > Giro > Vuelta is to ignore non-GTs, context, numbers, and the eye test. I agree the peloton would rather have a Tour win or even a Giro win, all things being equal, but I’d be surprised if the peloton would rather race against Roglic than those guys. I’m pretty sure they know what Roglic is. See Pogacar chasing him down even though he was injured and 3 minutes back.

I ignore the fangirl comments but a conversation which might be appropriate is one regarding the black cat Roglic has on his shoulder in the TdF. Aka a black cat which jumped off his back since his DNS & onto his teammates.

The crashes & Kruijswijk's DNF are surreal.

Tour 2023 is a year away and best to forget about that for now. Who knows what exactly will happen in such long time frame. From Rogličes point of view lets hope he is still hungry for wins, motivated and prepared to work hard. In that case i don't feel there is anything special to worry about.

If he would switch teams then it should be to one of the bigger ones. As without proper know-how and things like access to the best equipment. Well, chances reduce substantially. In other big teams again there would be big egos and more interests involved.

Get healthy, prepare well and trying to win the next race he participates in should do for now. As for Tour 2023. I don't see on how JV could not take him. And to do what exactly after? From Tour perspective he is in a team that races too aggressive for a GC team and has too much clans in it with different interests. And that shows in situations such as crashes in a bunch. The same happened to Jonas today. They just don't care enough for their leader(s) in such situations. And this needs to change. Less dedicated help for van Aert or more work done by van Aert. I don't see other options.

If I were a Dane as Danes are most, I would say that Vingegaard hasn't done much to prove that it was a mistake to not back Roglic 100%.

If i would be Dane. ATM i would mostly worry JV will beat Jonas. As i am not Dane and as i am a Rogla fan. I must be objective and acknowledge they have put Rogličes bike in third position on the team car. This hence will need to be addressed and rectified in the future. And acknowledged when making important decisions.

Reactions: acm
Rumor is that Roglic did not want to DNF and it was the team that made the decision.

The "Rumour" I heard was he was fed up that Vinegegard was beating him so Roglic decided to go home and prepare for the Vuelta Espana but like every rumour, it's just a rumour!

I worked as the project lead on an international motor racing series for 15 years and the rumours we would hear daily would astound anyone, especially as we generally knew the facts of the matters. As we the public are unlikely to know the facts of this or any other matter in Pro Rod Racing we shall almost certainly never know the facts behind the decision but it is fun to speculate and THAT along with great performances is what makes all sport compelling, I hope Roglic feels ready to race again soon.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The "Rumour" I heard was he was fed up that Vinegegard was beating him so Roglic decided to go home and prepare for the Vuelta Espana but like every rumour, it's just a rumour!

I worked as the project lead on an international motor racing series for 15 years and the rumours we would hear daily would astound anyone, especially as we generally knew the facts of the matters. As we the public are unlikely to know the facts of this or any other matter in Pro Rod Racing we shall almost certainly never know the facts behind the decision but it is fun to speculate and THAT along with great performances is what makes all sport compelling, I hope Roglic feels ready to race again soon.

But you didn't hear this rumor for JV DS. There hence is a slight difference. In between the "rumors".

Reactions: Carols and acm
?"rumor for JV DS" sorry I genuinely don't understand what you mean?

There is a difference if someone on the internet initiates a rumor or if Jumbo Visma directeur sportif explains what happened. We can judge the statement of Jumbo Visma directeur sportif. But the fact is Roglič was struggling and that became more and more apparent with each new stage. Hence if Jumbo Visma directeur sportif says something in the lines of Roglič was too badly injured and it was only getting worse. That is why the decision was made to abandon.

It was there on the plain sight all along. I don't feel this can even be called a rumor. Or that it needs any serious discussion. To determine it was a fact after all.

It's also possible as mere onlookers to watch & ask questions regarding the behavior of Jumbo riders in the race & the tactics employed (& then analyse it all when taking into account post-race & pre-race statements as well).

The part I have a question mark over is why didn't Jumbo spare Roglic over the past few days? If he's not well & getting worse, they could keep him preserved in the grupetto as much a possible before the last week of racing. Instead they put him on the front (second wheel at one point on the flat) & had him work like a dog on the second last climb on the Mende stage (after fetching him from the early dropped group). After that stage, Frans Maassen said to the media they expected a better Roglic in the Pyrenees.

Next day? DNS. Team decision, everyone's fine, don't ask questions.

TRENDING THREADS