• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 294 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Personally i don't care about TDF 2023 for now. If Rogla will go then in my opinion he will be one of the favorites. For him to win it he will need to among others beat both Pogi and Jonas. As Pogi will likely be focused on Jonas i do see an opportunity there. An opportunity that didn't exist in the past two to three seasons.

Considering the type of cyclists JV signed there is enough talent to support all 3 GTs. I would like to see Rogla to attempt Giro-Tour double. As honestly i don't believe that ATM there is any other cyclist capable of doing that. That is to perform good on both. Rogla doing Giro-Vuelta would work for me too. If he would win both then i would rate that higher then winning the Tour. All in all if he will be motivated and will train hard. Then i don't see much issues with any of the options. If there would be a sense of a feeling the team is pushing him back. Then he should consider switching teams.

As for the Vuelta 2022. Fingers crossed. Hopefully some much needed stomp on the schedule. For the fans.
I agree mostly. I too want him to win Vuelta. Looking further ahead I do feel conflicted about Giro vs Tour in that he's too good to only win Vueltas, he'd have cleaned the Giro if he raced it the last 2 years, and yet he'd face an uphill battle at the Tour.

Still if there's one rider I expect not to dwell on the disappointment of losing the Tour it's Rogla.

My guess is that Kelderman is a new super domestique with chances to win other races than GT, rather than a new GT leader.

I understand why Jumbo wants him, but I cannot figure out why on earth he himself wants to go to Jumbo.

But then all depends on how UAE goes together next year, how Almeida and Ayuso develops maybe most important if they will send a coleader with Pog.

Kelderman as coleader in TdF sounds crazy imo. But so does sending Rogla there again.

I'd rather wish Rogla did giro vuelta double. I'd rather see the other GT get higher status than all being about the tour. But then I know it's wishful thinking.

My guess is that Kelderman is a new super domestique with chances to win other races than GT, rather than a new leader.

I understand why Jumbo wants him, but I cannot figure out why on earth he himself wants to go to Jumbo.

But then all depends on how UAE goes together next year, how Almeida and Ayuso develops maybe most important if they will send a coleader with Pog.

Kelderman as coleader in TdF sounds crazy imo. But so does sending Rogla there again.

I'd rather wish Rogla did giro vuelta double. I'd rather see the other GT get higher status than all being about the tour. But then I know it's wishful thinking.

At the beginning of this season i said that for me Giro-Vuelta double attempt in 2022 and Tour in 2023 would work too. As what would likely happen is Pogi to win Tour 2022 and then to attempt Giro-Tour double in 2023. And in that case Rogla would likely be in a rather good position at the Tour 2023. But OK. Not all is bad. Considering JV has won everything at the Tour 2022. The obsession should now be less. Hopefully for Rogla to perform good at Vuelta 2022. After to decide if to start the next season with Giro or not. It likely depends on the route and other factors. All in all Tour 2023 is a light year away. Much races before that. Whatever the decision will be i just hope Rogla will be healthy, motivated, prepared and will perform good. Then i am happy. But as Rogla fan i know he won't make it easy. For me. And i wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: No Risk No Glory
Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I read somewhere it has been hinted that Roglič might do Giro-TdF duo next year. Even if that is not true I was wondering why is it generally considerd bad idea to go to Giro if you want to win the Tour? There is almost 2 month of rest and trainig in between those races. Is that not enough for rest, training block and few days of rest before start of tour? I couldn't find anywhere how does training block look like and how long it takes..

Reactions: Sandisfan
I read somewhere it has been hinted that Roglič might do Giro-TdF duo next year. Even if that is not true I was wondering why is it generally considerd bad idea to go to Giro if you want to win the Tour? There is almost 2 month of rest and trainig in between those races. Is that not enough for rest, training block and few days of rest before start of tour? I couldn't find anywhere how does training block look like and how long it takes..
The training season moves up that much more if the double is a for-real winning effort. Only he knows if the interval between the two races allows for rest and then a ramp up. You can't just roll into the Tour and if you've miscalculated on the side of fatigue you've messed up the rest of the season as well.
But he has to be the judge of that and, until he's won a Tour he should place all of his effort on that IMO. He's well adjusted as Redrick and others say, but committing to the Giro and not performing well may not be a great psychological situation.

I read somewhere it has been hinted that Roglič might do Giro-TdF duo next year. Even if that is not true I was wondering why is it generally considerd bad idea to go to Giro if you want to win the Tour? There is almost 2 month of rest and trainig in between those races. Is that not enough for rest, training block and few days of rest before start of tour?

Obviously not, which is why it hasn't been done successfully since 1998! Quite a few since, including the likes of Contador couldn't pull it off.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Obviously not, which is why it hasn't been done successfully since 1998! Quite a few since, including the likes of Contador couldn't pull it off.
That leads me to the next question. How does actual training block look like?
My theory why it is so hard to do is that you can't be at your peak for that long. It takes more time to rest and peak again in between races and it is probably hard to nail it with limited time window.

With the emergence of Vingegaard I think Roglic should just focus on the Giro next year where he would probably be favourite to win the race. He can then go to the tour as a wild card rider with no pressure. Roglic does not beat a fully fit Vingegaard or Pogacar on the road any more imo but he can beat everyone else. More value in racing to win the Giro than racing to place on the podium in Paris. That is unless Jumbo decide to send Vingegaard to do Giro/Vuelta, stranger things have happened.

It's smart. I think he has enough of only TdF year in, year out and Vuelta later. There are Pog and Vinge now in Tour. He can go there as a wild card and second option to Vinge. But he can captain Giro and has a good chance of winning until Pog and Vinge aim for Tour.

Targeting the giro is genius. He will crash out in the first week. Then, the tour becomes his vuelta and he takes yellow to Paris.

One of the most satisfying stomps, actually. I screamed. Considering where he was a month ago that was awesome.

He totally policed the stage as well, i.e. getting his teammates to ride a hard tempo, jumping in front of Alaphilippe for the cat 3 bonus seconds & dancing around on the final climb to avoid getting boxed in & just waiting to pounce at the right moment.

Roglič is a feline-esque predator when he has those legs on that sort of finish.

13 seconds is pretty solid today. Looking very good for 4 stages in, strong and in command. I expect him to put some serious time into all other GC contenders, possibly barring Remco, in the ITT. Sierra Nevada seems like the main danger stage.

27" to Remco
33" to Carapaz
51" to Yates
52" to Mas
53" to Almeida
54" to Hindley
I have no idea how fresh Remco will be by the time the TT rolls around. But the TT itself* should favor Evenepoel very much over Roglic.

*To clarify, i'm talking about a long, flat, possibly windy (by the coast) TT.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Monte Serra