• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 342 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the last paragraph of a belgian article about Van Aert: "And then? Tour or Giro, or even Vuelta? At Jumbo-Visma, the idea is that the Giro course is tailored to Jonas Vingegaard and the Tour is that of Primoz Roglic. But whether Vingegaard or Roglic or both ride the Tour, they will need Van Aert."

Maybe Primoz at the Tour? They speak like if they know something from Jumbo but I don´t Know... I agree with the sentence that this year Tour (explosive and with hard stages since the first days) is tailormade for Primoz, more than the Giro despite the TTs, but Italy seems like an easy choice for every part.

Last edited:
This is the last paragraph of a belgian article about Van Aert: "And then? Tour or Giro, or even Vuelta? At Jumbo-Visma, the idea is that the Giro course is tailored to Jonas Vingegaard and the Tour is that of Primoz Roglic. But whether Vingegaard or Roglic or both ride the Tour, they will need Van Aert."

Maybe Primoz at the Tour? They speak like if they know something from Jumbo but I don´t Know... I agree with the sentence that this year Tour (explosive and with hard stages since the first days) is tailormade for Primoz, more than the Giro despite the TTs, but Italy seems like an easy choice for every part.

Strange, I would have thought the Giro was more suited for Roglic next year. Or maybe that's just because I focus on the three ITTs, as opposed to just one in the Tour, and I'd say that between Roglic and Vingegaard, Roglic is the stronger ITTer.

Strange, I would have thought the Giro was more suited for Roglic next year. Or maybe that's just because I focus on the three ITTs, as opposed to just one in the Tour, and I'd say that between Roglic and Vingegaard, Roglic is the stronger ITTer.
Roglic is the stronger tter or are least the most versatile one, but Jonas I think is the perfect climber for the mountain stages of this year Giro and the final TT. Primoz of course can be quite competent in the hard stages and the 3 TTS as well, but I believe he is more suitable for this years Tour, more a explosive than a real hard one, also the hardness distributed during the 3 weeks like in the Vuelta and the start in Basque Country are perfect for him not only for the type of stages but because it will be a less stressful first week due to some selection done early on, and that is great for Roglic and his crashes, the very hilly TT is also tailormade for him. The problem is that it is also an excellent route for Pogacar of course.
Don't get me wrong though, this doesn't mean I don't think Vingegaard isn't as much of a favorite as anyone, I just think this year's tour was a bit better for him.

In any case, it would be very strange that the Dane does not return to France, another thing is that Primoz does too and in the end Jumbo only takes Wilco Kerlderman to Italy to look for a top 5 at most.

Roglic is the stronger tter or are least the most versatile one, but Jonas I think is the perfect climber for the mountain stages of this year Giro and the final TT. Primoz of course can be quite competent in the hard stages and the 3 TTS as well, but I believe he is more suitable for this years Tour, more a explosive than a real hard one, also the hardness distributed during the 3 weeks like in the Vuelta and the start in Basque Country are perfect for him not only for the type of stages but because it will be a less stressful first week due to some selection done early on, and that is great for Roglic and his crashes, the very hilly TT is also tailormade for him. The problem is that it is also an excellent route for Pogacar of course.
Don't get me wrong though, this doesn't mean I don't think Vingegaard isn't as much of a favorite as anyone, I just think this year's tour was a bit better for him.

In any case, it would be very strange that the Dane does not return to France, another thing is that Primoz does too and in the end Jumbo only takes Wilco Kerlderman to Italy to look for a top 5 at most.

I guess I was just thinking that being the defending champion, Vingegaard would naturally focus on the Tour next year. But, as acm nicely pointed out, Roglic needs to recover from his surgery, and might not be ready in time for the Giro. Of course, there's also the Vuelta option.

Rog and Vingo are both so alround as GT riders the Giro parcours doesn't matter against the field they'd likely face.

I expect both to go to the Tour. Vingegaard because he's the defending champion and future of Jumbo. Roglic because he probably is having his first big break in years and may not be flying so early in the season, and because the Tour route favors dual leaders IMO

I guess I was just thinking that being the defending champion, Vingegaard would naturally focus on the Tour next year. But, as acm nicely pointed out, Roglic needs to recover from his surgery, and might not be ready in time for the Giro. Of course, there's also the Vuelta option.
Based on reported progress it seems hard to believe that Roglic could seriously contest the Giro. It'd be great if he could but the Tour is a stretch, too if he's not seriously on the outdoor training.

Wow, per Cyclingnews he sure seems to be standing by his "It was Fred's fault" comments. Would have thought that after some time he'd come to his senses on that topic. Bizarre. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pr...ds-calling-out-fred-wright-over-vuelta-crash/
Sometimes you have to admit when you were wrong, so either he's not very bright or not as noble as he has made himself out to be. With how the race jury these days sanction for even the slightest infraction (at times with unlevelheaded and overzealous egregious misjudgment, like when Sagan was thrown out of the Tour), the fact that Fred was never even suspected if impropriety indicates that the matter was a non-issue, as anyone who understands cycling knows. Primoz has nobody to blame but himself, who by wreckless riding caused himself to fall. He got in Fred's way, not the other way around. His unwavering insistance to the contrary is by now insolence. That his team backs him is pathetic and verges on an intimidory act towards the Briton, who is being unjustly cast a villain.

Last edited:
Wow, per Cyclingnews he sure seems to be standing by his "It was Fred's fault" comments. Would have thought that after some time he'd come to his senses on that topic. Bizarre. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pr...ds-calling-out-fred-wright-over-vuelta-crash/
That's not what he said, he didn't even mention Fred in Slovenian interview.
Here is a response from the journalist who interviewed him:
I really don't like what Cyclingnews did here.

That's not what he said, he didn't even mention Fred in Slovenian interview.
Here is a response from the journalist who interviewed him:
I really don't like what Cyclingnews did here.
Whether he mentioned Wright or not, by repeating in reference to the incident that he wants racing to be "in the boundaries of fair play," infers that Fred was at fault and consciously unsportsmanlike. But this is a false and defamatory position.

Whether he mentioned Wright or not, by repeating in reference to the incident that he wants racing to be "in the boundaries of fair play," infers that Fred was at fault and consciously unsportsmanlike. But this is a false and defamatory position.
I think you may be missing an important point Roglič made, which is:

""I think I had to let it out," he added. "It’s easier for me to return now. Otherwise I might not even want to get back in the peloton.""

I would like to think here he partially admits the accusation was not correct but he had to channel his frustrations somewhere or else he would start hating the sport... Cyclingnews of course preemptively incepts the interpretation with the headline for the rest of us.

Yeah, that's exactly what Cyclingnews caused with that misleading article. I'm sorry you don't understand Slovenian and can't listen to the podcast to fully understand his statement. If you take only part of the statement, you can interpret it in your own way.

Yeah, that's exactly what Cyclingnews caused with that misleading article. I'm sorry you don't understand Slovenian and can't listen to the podcast to fully understand his statement. If you take only part of the statement, you can interpret it in your own way.
I can only go on what's reported in the languages I know and I am willing to change my mind on the issue. At the same time, I think had Roglic outright come out and said, "look, it was in the heat of the moment, my anger and frustration clouded my judgment, but I now realize Fred Wright was not guilty of what I initially accused him of, etc.," the Slovenian would do the more noble thing.

Last edited:
I think you may be missing an important point Roglič made, which is:

""I think I had to let it out," he added. "It’s easier for me to return now. Otherwise I might not even want to get back in the peloton.""

I would like to think here he partially admits the accusation was not correct but he had to channel his frustrations somewhere or else he would start hating the sport... Cyclingnews of course preemptively incepts the interpretation with the headline for the rest of us.
What I just posted.

TRENDING THREADS