• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 341 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think he said they will saw off a piece of a bone from somewhere and bolted it on the shoulder to prevent future dislocations.
Sounds like mechanical doping to me :)
Sounds like you'd enjoy the video of the total reverse should implant. Most sites will ask you confirm your age is 21+. When they pre-tour the operating room and you see the hardware they employ for the surgery you'll get an idea of the work. It's monumentally structural but relatively quick recovery. His restrictions would largely involve no impact or strength work and 2 months of monitoring for internal bleeding, clotting and rejection of the hardware. The stainless screws they use to anchor the egg-shaped should receiver are gnarly-looking and up to 3" long.

A teeny-weeny bit of Twitter stalking shows Roglič "liked" marko baloh's tweet in response to the opening Giro ITT profile:

Made for Rogla indeed.

So Giro attempt incoming? It would be an exciting change of scenery for next season, for sure.
While this stage is nice for him, I don't think that's enough. Jumbo usually sends their B team and local favourites to the Giro while keeping the heavy hitters for Tour. Next season might be one of his last chances to win Tour and I would say TJV knows the 1-2 tactic is important for Tour and Vingo's peak form not a guarantee imo.

My prediction for Giro is Kelderman, Foss for GC, Bouwman for stage hunting and Kooij with his leadout for the rest. Kooij deserves a GT chance and I'm sure Roglic wouldn't be very happy with poor support in the mountains again like Vuelta.

Giro next year is prob Remco vs Thomas vs Vlasov vs Yates.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Him demonstrating his shoulder movement is hilarious. Is that dry humor or genuine?
If they did a bone graft that's real. If they did ligament reattachment...that's real. If he was older they would've done an old-school humeral head replacement and put a liner in the glenoid area. Now most surgeons opt for the total-reverse which requires losing some pectoral and bicep muscles. That's not optimum, particularly for someone his age.

Weirdly those more radical hardware replacements allow for movement quicker since there is almost no muscle/ligament tissue left that needs to heal; only caution about hemorrhage of re-attached blood supply and nerves. I have to believe he's on an indoor trainer but not enjoying it. Regaining that arm strength will be a challenge but the biceps are the primary power source so he'll be racing this year.

Maybe he'll take the time to review more race tape and re-strategize his pack positioning, too.

If they did a bone graft that's real. If they did ligament reattachment...that's real. If he was older they would've done an old-school humeral head replacement and put a liner in the glenoid area. Now most surgeons opt for the total-reverse which requires losing some pectoral and bicep muscles. That's not optimum, particularly for someone his age.

Weirdly those more radical hardware replacements allow for movement quicker since there is almost no muscle/ligament tissue left that needs to heal; only caution about hemorrhage of re-attached blood supply and nerves. I have to believe he's on an indoor trainer but not enjoying it. Regaining that arm strength will be a challenge but the biceps are the primary power source so he'll be racing this year.

Maybe he'll take the time to review more race tape and re-strategize his pack positioning, too.

Since you seem to be in the know, do you think his current situation actually needed the surgery? As far as I can tell the issue was that his shoulder dislocated easier than it should, but then again this only happened if he fell on that side, and also apart from that it didn't seem to cause him other issues, that we know of. Some would even say it's better to dislocate a shoulder than break your collarbone, which usually happens in these type of falls.

Since you seem to be in the know, do you think his current situation actually needed the surgery? As far as I can tell the issue was that his shoulder dislocated easier than it should, but then again this only happened if he fell on that side, and also apart from that it didn't seem to cause him other issues, that we know of. Some would even say it's better to dislocate a shoulder than break your collarbone, which usually happens in these type of falls.
Only his doctor could confirm what was done. A chronic dislocating shoulder is fairly painful: think of an icepick being driven into the joint. Usually that requires rotator-cuff surgery to repair shredded or extended ligaments that would stabilize and define the joint's motion. That can be a 6 month ordeal to rehab.
In that area all of the nerves that serve your hand, wrist elbow, etc run from spine and under your shoulder blade into the lower part of the joint. It can be dangerous to drive or ride if that joint displaces while active, which could have been the chronic problem. If a graft supplement was involved; it probably was to augment the glenoidal joint (where arm "head"/humerus contacts) because it no longer could resist some critical movement due to damage to the cuplike shape. Grafts can be a challenge as the tissue needs to be accepted. They may have taken bone/cartilage from another area on Primoz to minimize rejection of cadaver tissue replacement.

Collarbones are a piece of cake to manage IMO unless there is severe displacement that could penetrate the skin or damage other tissue. If not, you could easily race after breaking the collarbone. Just grit your teeth like Tyler Hamilton did to finish a GT. Displaced versions usually get a plate or rod alignment stabilization and will take a while to heal.
My conclusion is I'd rather have neither but a collarbone break general has much less long -term consequences. It wouldn't surprise me if his dislocation issues started with another sport as it is a rare consequence of crashing your bike.

Disclaimer: I'm not an orthopedic doctor. Old Labrat is more appropriate.

You might not like it, but this is peak Rogla. With mustaches.

FhopvzYWAAALfYs

Fhoo7nIWQAIDYAt

TRENDING THREADS