• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 344 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I couldn't care less about the tabloid drama, but I keep checking the new posts in this thread in the hope of finding some update on whether Roglic will be any good at the start of the season. I keep getting disappointed though.

Anyone know if he's back on the bike? I read he's going to be at the Jumbo December training camp, so his recovery can't be that problematic. I saw some rather sinister insight about his condition upthread, but I never cease to be amazed at how pro athletes generally recover so much quicker than normal people. And Roglic doesn't seem particularly worried himself.
This week he had or will have a checkup, where it will be known if he can start full training.
He was on the bike on Sunday...

So why didn't the journalist, the Tominec guy, include that rather important bit in the series of tweets translating the interview? Was he just assuming that people would somehow know that it was about safety?
I don't know how to break this to you, but while it might not have been unclear in the original Slovene interview which words Roglic was referring to, it sure has hell is in the English version provided.

Last edited:
From what I know about Fred Wright, he isn't losing any sleep over what Roglic said in the past or what he may or may not have said in Slovenian in recent days.

But obviously it's still in Primoz's head.
Or the question gets repeatedly asked during the silly season. The fact that he's recovering from injury makes the topic unavoidable to the press, IMO. It won't go away if he doesn't return to form, either.

Really guys? WTF cares? Journalist asked. He got the shortest possible answer outside of "no comment". That's it. Bunch of snowflakes here who need to come up with 100s of explanations of an event in history that can't be changed. Grow up.

I come here for any good off season news and all i get is bunch of grown up (i hope) guys arguing over the same old soup again and again.

Reactions: Luthor and Rackham
Too bad Roglic didn't just say "no comment"!
Or rather; too bad the journalist, when translating to interview, decided that skip the important part, the bit where it was clarified that it was specifically about the safety issue.
"No comment" would ignite the same fire in a snowflake as the one he did give. The whole thing is a complete non factor. Grow up.

"No comment" would ignite the same fire in a snowflake as the one he did give.

Or people would have assumed that it meant he had apologised to Wright for that baseless accusation, and they had both moved on.
However, as I pointed out, the real issue arrived when the journalist, in an attempt to show that Roglic hadn't been talking about Wright, only seemed to prove at CN had been right in the first place. After all, what else were people supposed to think the bit about "Roglic's emotional response" was referring to, if not his initial knee-jerk reaction?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Wow, per Cyclingnews he sure seems to be standing by his "It was Fred's fault" comments. Would have thought that after some time he'd come to his senses on that topic. Bizarre. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pr...ds-calling-out-fred-wright-over-vuelta-crash/

As for the interview. I enjoyed listening to it a couple of days back. If i remember correctly about half hour of interview. And there was a "documentary" about Roglič there in the article. Another half hour of pleasurable content. As for the part of the interview that made it to CN. There was literary a couple of seconds of talk about the mentioned incident. Journalist subtly asking about it and Rogla basically saying he stands by his words. And that was it.

Now we had a lengthy discussion about that already. It came down to. If i do something silly in front of you. It's still your responsibility. As a rider coming from behind. To do everything in your power to prevent the crash. And if i did you wrong then get me relegated after.

Now as for people raging on his IG, forums, other channels ... How about if instead you start with the person in the mirror. Much better spent energy. We have a saying. Za vsakim dobrim konjem se kadi.

Reactions: acm
As for the interview. I enjoyed listening to it a couple of days back. If i remember correctly about half hour of interview. And there was a "documentary" about Roglič there in the article. Another half hour of pleasurable content. As for the part of the interview that made it to CN. There was literary a couple of seconds of talk about the mentioned incident. Journalist subtly asking about it and Rogla basically saying he stands by his words. And that was it.

Now we had a lengthy discussion about that already. It came down to. If i do something silly in front of you. It's still your responsibility. As a rider coming from behind. To do everything in your power to prevent the crash. And if i did you wrong then get me relegated after.

Now as for people raging on his IG, forums, other channels ... How about if instead you start with the person in the mirror. Much better spent energy. We have a saying. Za vsakim dobrim konjem se kadi.
Yes, it only takes a couple of seconds to say you stand by your words. I just think it's super weird that he still sees the incident as someone else's fault. It was 100% his. Not a ton more needs to be made about it, let alone some deep self examination or looking in the mirror. He blew it, totally his fault, and he continues to blame Wright for it. I like the guy as a rider a lot, but he's fooling himself. We all do it, but I hope he doesn't take anyone else out next time.

@red_flanders

The incident could have been avoided. Regardless of Rogličes actions. There are breaks on the bike too. Hence the 100% remark is BS. Life doesn't work in absolutes. The rider coming from behind had a good overivew on what was bound to happen. And made a choice. As for next time. That was the point exactly. As it happened twice already it was time to speak out. This was hence hopefully the last time a sprinter took out Roglič on a GT race.

Next time just don't and we are good.

Some trivia from "documentary". When Rogla was still a ski jumper and was on the tour (de jump). He and his fellow ski jumper joined a group of people and got a box of beer. More then twenty bottles of beer empty and four for the champs. They took it in their room and when they opened their bottles the trainer entered the room. A quick look when assessing the situation and the trainer got an idea they already drank 20 bottles of beer. As you can imagine they didn't get of the hook easily.

On top of that it looks like Rogla is back to training:

318300248-658146672517474-3254056753776279667-n.jpg

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cly1cMGNU4S/

Reactions: Sandisfan
@red_flanders

The incident could have been avoided. Regardless of Rogličes actions. There are breaks on the bike too. Hence the 100% remark is BS. Life doesn't work in absolutes. The rider coming from behind had a good overivew on what was bound to happen. And made a choice. As for next time. That was the point exactly. As it happened twice already it was time to speak out. This was hence hopefully the last time a sprinter took out Roglič on a GT race.

Next time just don't and we are good.
You're free to see it that way of course, but it doesn't comport with reality of how racing works. No one was "coming from behind". Wright was in a paceline and Roglič stupidly tried to insert himself into the middle of it, instead of jumping on the back as he should have...or he could have just stayed out of it. He was done and had no claim to the win. As it went, he paid the price, and fortunately the guy riding correctly didn't. This time.

No one but Roglič took out Roglič, and who cares if the guy he almost took out was a sprinter or GC rider. He had no responsibility to give up his spot and rightly didn't. Tell a racer they don't have a right to the spot they fought for. Good luck.

If someone had done that to me in a race...well actually they have...they would suffer the same. I'd actually have given him a forearm, and have. Amazing to watch $10,000 worth of carbon screeching over the pavement. Painful. You want my position? Be there first. You're not and you want to risk crashing me out? Enjoy the med tent. It was a clown move.

It didn’t come down to anything like that. What it came down to, was that vast majority of this forum (and everyone else) agreed Roglič was out of place to blame Wright for that particular incident. The only grey area here is how much can be forgiven given his history of being a gentleman and the fact he did get taken out a couple of occasions through no fault of his own (not this time though).

I’m in just the right mood now to tell you a couple of things. What really really annoys me is your way of disregarding anything anyone has to say about pretty much anything. The purpose of a discussion forum is - well, it’s to discuss facts/opinions. That means taking into account other people’s statements and responding to them. Countless times have you been given a direct counter-argument and completely ignoring it while repeating your initial statement. Ad infinitum… And to what end, I’m wondering? To tire everyone out until it’s just you in this chat - repeating your stuff over and over again?

I think it’s time I learned how to use the “ignore” functionality…

Roglic should attempt to do the double - Giro & Tour - or die trying. He can then retire after entering the pantheon of cycling gods.
So here is likely where we are in Roglic's recovery and prospects for upcoming races: His surgery probably required a graft from his hip or other location but trying to repair the glenoidal cup to prevent future dislocations uses that bone. It's recovery profile is up to one year.
According to UW Professor Fred Matsen (a cycling fan and former collarbone club member):

A Bankart repair is usually successful in stabilizing a shoulder with recurring dislocations. However sometimes surgery can fail to stabilize the shoulder either because the repair is not strong enough or because the socket of the shoulder is compromised. In these situations a contoured bone graft may provide the needed stability by deepening the socket.
After performing a careful history and a clinical examination a surgeon experienced in complex reconstructions for instability can determine if socket deficiency is contributing to the recurrent dislocations of the shoulder. Patients are most likely to benefit from this surgery if they are well motivated in good health and have not been smoking.
Figure 1 - Anatomically Contoured Extracapsular Iliac Crest Bone Graft: Bone graft inserted at the front of the glenoid socket helps restore shoulder stability. Click image to enlarge.
The goal of the bone graft surgery is to build up the socket so that it provides more stability for the joint.
The bone graft is harvested from the iliac crest (hip bone at the belt line) shaped and then screwed to the front of the socket. It is placed outside the capsule of the shoulder so that the bone graft does not rub directly on the cartilage of the humeral head (the ball of the shoulder joint).

He'll be most challenged regaining form and will probably (should) do most of his intensity indoors to minimize risk to the repair for 2-3 months. Seated climbing is beneficial, but crashing can undo his recovery instantly. Out of the saddle climbing in smaller gears could be OK. Zero sprinting, period. That may also put the Wright issue to rest as he avoids those career-ending pack sprints.

TRENDING THREADS