• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 428 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Two things:
I hope JV ups the tempo (maybe not all out) on Giau—I mean the rest of the team really doesn’t have to work after tomorrow, I would rather see them use those guys.
Also, the big difference in this ITT and other climbs during the race is the pacing strategy. It’s easy to blow up and lose big chunks of time if going out too hard. Going out too conservative won’t lose big time but might leave too
Much time to make up. I don’t know which of the three will be better at managing that. Hopefully Roglic is.

Reactions: Carols and SHAD0W93
I think whatever (if anything) is affecting Roglič, its affecting more his legs than his lungs and blood, and he while it may be true that his body is not best suited for very long and hard stages, I'd believe he still has the top class high altitude oxygen use abilities and at the end we're coming into the heights where this might be more of a bottleneck than pure leg power and body energy reserves. One can hope.

Almeida was also the fastest of the GC riders on the hill in the first stage though wasn’t he? And like others have said, he can ride at his own pace. He almost caught back on today with the whole Vine incident. All three are still dangerous and if UAE and Jumbo end up working together to drop Thomas it’ll spice even more things up.
I think if the climb was 6% average, Almeida would be most likely to take it. The problem is I just can’t visualise Almeida going fast on a very steep climb. Do we have a precedence of him doing well on a very steep climb?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
ADezLFXmHJHKCHtsGLcyXG-970-80.jpg.webp

Beautiful performance by Rogla, Kuss and his whole team on stage 18. Taking some time back from Almeida.

Tomorrow on stage 19 it's time to put Thomas in difficulty.

Now I've thought a bit about this stage I'm really pessimistic about winning the Giro. He had literally 0 snap on his attack. Even in last years Vuelta he had more pop on his attacks.
I think he's on a metering pace and dosing it out so he's got full gas for the TT.
This is first GT after major surgery and it is somewhat uncharted new territory that already begs admiration for his efforts. He knows (or should know) to not waste effort on a dramatic stage and then fall flat on the one race that relies on little strategy; the final TT. That's why he lost to Pogacar after romping after Carapaz in an efforthat cost all of his energy and MAL managed to pull away when he blew. No need for Roglic to do that today with time bonuses up the road. GT, for all of fans's confidence on his composure and ability to stay with Primoz; did not have any of his usual 2 km full gas finish. Geraint is the guy that has two Olympic Gold medals and 3 World Golds in team pursuit; he knows how to use it if he has it. No one in today's peloton has those credentials.
The next few days should repay whiny fans for boredom up to this point.

So, it's almost time.

I don't know about others here but I admit I'm borderline stressed right now. But on the other hand it is kind of cool we're here before the final 2 decisive stages of the Giro & he still has every chance to win this thing.

These sorts of stages are what we all dream of as fans (well I do, in any case). It's the stuff that gets talked about years later. So here we go.

So, it's almost time.

I don't know about others here but I admit I'm borderline stressed right now. But on the other hand it is kind of cool we're here before the final 2 decisive stages of the Giro & he still has every chance to win this thing.

These sorts of stages are what we all dream of as fans (well I do, in any case). It's the stuff that gets talked about years later. So here we go.
I'm trying to practise stoicism here :)

There is absolutely nothing I can think of that would shock me with Rogla at this point and I actually got used to and accepted that rooting for him means an emotional rollercoaster. That being said, I must admit that my organic shift towards supporting Pog as well since last years TDF is proving to be more rewarding in many aspects. A lot less drama (even when he fails). But lower highs as well...

I do hope Rog gets a couple of more years. It seems like yesterday when he won 2017 Galibier stage with everything still waiting for him and now, only 6 years later, he is already on the verge of being "past it". But I guess starting that late is what makes him that much more special.

In that regard it's quite simple now.

He needs to be strong, avoid misfortune, and dose his efforts right.

I'm confident for the latter two today, maybe less so tomorrow, and after yesterday I'm sure he will be somewhat strong. The question is if he is strong enough. We shall see.

This year is not optimal for Rog, operation, less racing days, injury...
Im thinking if Vinge not winning Tour(without crashes and bad luck) and Rog shows improvement further this season, no mather what happens at Giro. Maybe destroying field at Vuelta.
He should be co-captain in 2024 at Tour.

Already signs of a brutal stage. TJV are putting Thomas to the knife today,
Had to settle for the CN written commentary, complete with bias towards GT if you read nuance into shortened sentences including a meh response to the quality of the race. Geraint is definitely capable of getting the most out of his late efforts. Not seeing actual broadcast footage I can't tell if this is a foreshadowing of tomorrow's TT? Like several have pointed out; Roglic can be somewhat enigmatic about actual potential until he either rides away or blows up. Geraint less so.
This one's going to the final round!

If he doesn't win the Giro tomorrow, it'll be his most disappointing performance in a GT he finishes IMO.

Of course the 2020 defeat was disappointing, but in terms of performance, he at least won a stage and the Col de la Loze attack lasted for a couple of km. Also there was not much room in that Tour to be really creative as opposed to in this year's Giro.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Every other rider for the last ten years gets excuses after they crash except Roglic. Just a lot of hate for someone who’s won so much
I'm starting to think that for his PR (at least on this forum) it would have been better if he just went home after that crash. Instead he battles on and he gets punished for it. In the final stretch today he had a pain face that you rarely see on Roglic. The guy is clearly riding more on willpower than on physical fitness.

Every other rider for the last ten years gets excuses after they crash except Roglic. Just a lot of hate for someone who’s won so much

I mean just look at Thomas: 3 years in total no man's land & nobody cares or says anything.

Come what may tomorrow, Rog is a hell of a fighter. He's tenacious on a bike like I've rarely seen. Great fightback in the final few meters there as well.

Oh & at least he gets to wear his own Jumbo gear in tomorrow's ITT. That's at least something.

I'm starting to think that for his PR (at least on this forum) it would have been better if he just went home after that crash. Instead he battles on and he gets punished for it. In the final stretch today he had a pain face that you rarely see on Roglic. The guy is clearly riding more on willpower than on physical fitness.
Yeah exactly I was never stating he attacks and puts minutes into riders but surely a peak Roglic isn’t struggling holding that piss weak move from Thomas 600m out after a soft pedaled stage and Giro

If he doesn't win the Giro tomorrow, it'll be his most disappointing performance in a GT he finishes IMO.

Of course the 2020 defeat was disappointing, but in terms of performance, he at least won a stage and the Col de la Loze attack lasted for a couple of km. Also there was not much room in that Tour to be really creative as opposed to in this year's Giro.
Having said that, him winning the Giro in a MTT on the last stage would be epic...

He and his team have no clue how to approach stages in GTs. He's either incapable of assessing his legs in the morning/during the stage or the DSs are flat out clueless. The Tour last year and him being simply the best in 3 Vueltas have papered over a lot of cracks, and even the Tour last year was only Granon and otherwise putting WVA up the road rinse repeat tactic.
Outside of that too many instances where there were pulling way too hard when they shouldn't have or didn't pace when it would've suited them as well as having no idea how to make use of domestiques. It's weird.

Still hoping he has a monster day tomorrow and poetically does a reverse PDBF2020 but it's a big ask and his ITT form this year isnt giving much hopes.

• Haha
Reactions: Carols

He could've won the Tour then and there on the last mountain stage, but opted for the conservative and 'safe' option.

But I agree, this performance has been extremely disappointing. Its hard to blame him since he just isn't better at the minute.

He and his team have no clue how to approach stages in GTs. He's either incapable of assessing his legs in the morning/during the stage or the DSs are flat out clueless. The Tour last year and him being simply the best in 3 Vueltas have papered over a lot of cracks, and even the Tour last year was only Granon and otherwise putting WVA up the road rinse repeat tactic.
Outside of that too many instances where there were pulling way too hard when they shouldn't have or didn't pace when it would've suited them as well as having no idea how to make use of domestiques. It's weird.

Still hoping he has a monster day tomorrow and poetically does a reverse PDBF2020 but it's a big ask and his ITT form this year isnt giving much hopes.
This is what you get when you hire podcasters as consultants.

TRENDING THREADS