• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 439 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at profiles, he should go for Vuelta next and then Lombardia. Maybe Suisse if the form is still good.

As much as I want him to win the Tour, he would just be a super-dom for Jonas, which would be a waste. Jumbo's Tour team is also more like a classics one which makes no sense. I feel Jumbo is gonna have a disaster Tour with only tired Kuss as super mountain domestique, Kruiswijk is far from being good enough.

I love how huge this win is for both Rog & Jumbo:

View: https://twitter.com/JumboVismaRoad/status/1663508769584627712

And in other news...

Aka regarding going to the Tour 2023: "No, maybe, I don't know".

I found this one, i.e.

View: https://twitter.com/lahlou_nabil/status/1662974028942917633

French Eurosport commentators didn't believe the timing at first. It was amazing. I mean literally one of the best sport moments I've ever enjoyed.
You could hear the roar of the Slovenian crowd erupting just a moment before the JV guys jump up--the crowd knew exactly what time Thomas had to reach to stay in pink! (not that it's surprising--cycling fans know what's what).

And in other news...

Aka regarding going to the Tour 2023: "No, maybe, I don't know".

I really hope they don't make a Giro winner domestique for Vingegaard, that would be kind of a slap in the face. Sure they can promise Roglic a co-leader status but we all know how that went last year. As soon as there is any trouble for him, he will not have the full backing of his team like he did in the Giro. Just let him rest and go for the Vuelta again.

He didnt receive full backing, just as Vingegaard didn't receive full backing on the stage. Circumstances dictated how they rode, there were no conspiracies or anything of that nature. They were co-leaders and both got unlucky, and everyone tried to save the scraps and after all, they rode quite the race, but just got very unlucky.

It'd obviously be different this year.

You could hear the roar of the Slovenian crowd erupting just a moment before the JV guys jump up--the crowd knew exactly what time Thomas had to reach to stay in pink! (not that it's surprising--cycling fans know what's what).
Primoz may have been the last Slovenian on that mountain to realise Roglic was winning the Giro

Last edited:
I really hope they don't make a Giro winner domestique for Vingegaard, that would be kind of a slap in the face. Sure they can promise Roglic a co-leader status but we all know how that went last year. As soon as there is any trouble for him, he will not have the full backing of his team like he did in the Giro. Just let him rest and go for the Vuelta again.

He wouldn't be domestique. They'd have a set-up like Ineos had in the Giro: two leaders. WvA could go for stage wins & chip in with help whenever necessary. Jumbo always liked having multiple leaders in the Tour anyway.

The more I think about this... the more it seems like... I dunno, highly likely? Seeing how happy Roglič looks right now in the Giro victory tour over in the Netherlands really hammers home the fact this man is a born racer & born winner. He lives to do this stuff. It's what he is, basically. Even all the sponsor stuff & interviews make him smile right now. So what better moment to do the TdF than straight off the back of a Giro win? His standing in the team is sky high.

There's so many pros & cons with valid points on all sides, but... I feel like a potential deciding factor is simply the fact riding the Vuelta again wouldn't be half as exciting as riding the Tour as a Giro winner.

There's so many pros & cons with valid points on all sides, but... I feel like a potential deciding factor is simply the fact riding the Vuelta again wouldn't be half as exciting as riding the Tour as a Giro winner.

The deciding factor should be what level Primoz can demonstrate in the Tour vs fresh Vinge and Pogi aka how exhausted physically he's after the Giro. There's no point tiring him more (with no chances to win) if the alternative is GT victory #5.

Reactions: Luthor and Lequack
Reactions: Sandisfan
How many times has the three amigos strategy worked for Movistar? Things in UAE are easy, they have a singular goal. Other teams make it more difficult for themselves for not picking a leader outright, probably not wanting to offend any of their star riders. And yes, it's all fine have multiple leaders until there is trouble and you have to pick who you will help.

Next you'll be saying Remco should go to the tour to co-lead with Masnada.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and acm
How many times has the three amigos strategy worked for Movistar? Things in UAE are easy, they have a singular goal. Other teams make it more difficult for themselves for not picking a leader outright, probably not wanting to offend any of their star riders. And yes, it's all fine have multiple leaders until there is trouble and you have to pick who you will help.

I seem to remember a team with two leaders quite succesfully using them to destroy a pre-race favourite... errr... can't remember who they were...

So many great reaction vids.

All that's missing is like a livestream from the guys on Tenerife watching it during their massage or something

Vingegaard probably muttered something along the lines of "I mean yeah, I would have won that ITT with a time of 43:00, but yeah, well done, I guess".

How many times has the three amigos strategy worked for Movistar?

The problem is actually the bigger picture, i.e. the question should be "when will it ever be a perfect moment for Rog to do the TdF?".

Vingegaard will always be either number one or join protected leader. There's no way around that now. Van Aert will always be allowed to do whatever he wants. And leaving teams isn't an option at all (I don't believe ever) because he's so entrenched at Jumbo now & he doesn't want to start over from scratch in another team (no Kuss in another team as well, which means leaving is tactically a no-no).

So... even if Rog says he'll wait to do the Tour next year, he'll face the exact same situation in 2024.

Vingegaard probably muttered something along the lines of "I mean yeah, I would have won that ITT with a time of 43:00, but yeah, well done, I guess".

The problem is actually the bigger picture, i.e. the question should be "when will it ever be a perfect moment for Rog to do the TdF?".

Vingegaard will always be either number one or join protected leader. There's no way around that now. Van Aert will always be allowed to do whatever he wants. And leaving teams isn't an option at all (I don't believe ever) because he's so entrenched at Jumbo now & he doesn't want to start over from scratch in another team (no Kuss in another team as well, which means leaving is tactically a no-no).

So... even if Rog says he'll wait to do the Tour next year, he'll face the exact same situation in 2024.

I want to think that next year Vinge maybe will aim at Giro+Vuelta double (leaving the Tour for Roglic) but who am I fooling here? He's too fixated about the Tour,

The Movistar triad leadership is one of the greatest things ever in pro cycling, at least from a comedic standpoint.

• Love
He wouldn't be domestique. They'd have a set-up like Ineos had in the Giro: two leaders. WvA could go for stage wins & chip in with help whenever necessary. Jumbo always liked having multiple leaders in the Tour anyway.

The more I think about this... the more it seems like... I dunno, highly likely? Seeing how happy Roglič looks right now in the Giro victory tour over in the Netherlands really hammers home the fact this man is a born racer & born winner. He lives to do this stuff. It's what he is, basically. Even all the sponsor stuff & interviews make him smile right now. So what better moment to do the TdF than straight off the back of a Giro win? His standing in the team is sky high.

I would think how his body is recovering—from the crash injuries and from the effort during week 3– would be the determining factor?

TRENDING THREADS