• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 440 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would think how his body is recovering—from the crash injuries and from the effort during week 3– would be the determining factor?
I think the schedule between Tour or no Tour diverges very quickly, so I think they'll make a decision very quickly.

He really sounded like he needs a break and spend time with the family in some interviews. These publicity tours are just not the place where you spell out that you're not racing the Tour.

I found this one, i.e.

View: https://twitter.com/lahlou_nabil/status/1662974028942917633

French Eurosport commentators didn't believe the timing at first. It was amazing. I mean literally one of the best sport moments I've ever enjoyed.
I think I and most folks here would have rather had live GPS time tracking so we could understanding what was happening with each rider along the way. But it was flabbergasting—in an enjoyable way—to see the 34 seconds gap graphic flAsh on the screen when most of us were still thinking about how much time Roglic may have lost with the chain drop.

I believe many people are overestimating Vinge's abilities. He had a good Tour last year, albeit with all the tactical mistakes by Pog, and that is about it. Strong Basque this year as well but idk about the opposition there. Rog should go to the Tour as a joint leader with Vingo and odds are this will be a trouble free year and he can show his true abilities. The double seems ever closer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For what is worth, Horner said Rogla is going to win 3 - 5 more GTs (not sure if he said this before or after his Giro win) and his teammate Tratnik said he believes Primož can win more than one Tour and has time till he's 39.

I know it's both unrealistic. It's more in line with what Valverde said last year about how Remco is by far the best or something like that. An attempt at sensationalism.

Last edited:
https://www.dnevnik.si/1043024849
That's interesting. According to Hvastija who spoke to Mattia Galli (Rogla's agent), Roglič is still a clear number one in the team. He himself decides which races he'll do and he wanted to do the Giro.
That's bullsh**. He wanted to do the tour, but he knew that vingegaard was going to be the first leader, so he decided to do the giro with all of the team working for him. It was a smart decision by roglic.

I believe many people are overestimating Vinge's abilities. He had a good Tour last year, albeit with all the tactical mistakes by Pog, and that is about it. Strong Basque this year as well but idk about the opposition there. Rog should go to the Tour as a joint leader with Vingo and odds are this will be a trouble free year and he can show his true abilities. The double seems ever closer.
Let's be real. Roglic can't beat pogacar, Vingegaard has more weapons to beat pogacar in a grand tour. Roglic barely beat thomas, the guy that finished the tour 8 minutes behind Vingegaard. Roglic is a hell of a rider, but in long climbs Vingegaard is better, even in TT he is not superior. Jumbo has more odds to beat pogacar with Vingegaard than with roglic.

• Wow
Let's be real. Roglic can't beat pogacar, Vingegaard has more weapons to beat pogacar in a grand tour. Roglic barely beat thomas, the guy that finished the tour 8 minutes behind Vingegaard. Roglic is a hell of a rider, but in long climbs Vingegaard is better, even in TT he is not superior. Jumbo has more odds to beat pogacar with Vingegaard than with roglic.
Let's not compare without adjusting for context on such a small sample.
Why should it be clear Roglič can't beat Pogačar? He distanced Pogačar on Col de la Loze only a day before the famous TT in a year where he got no proper training from Dauphine (where he was clearly better than Pogačar) till the Tour (because of a crash). Yes, he's more likely to crash out, but that's never a certainty.
If you compare head to head Tour racing, in Pogčar wins, the final time difference to Vingegaard was always bigger difference than to Roglič. If you take into account the one-day races, Primož has performed better than Jonas vs Tadej. This does not prove anything, but it shows easy it is to provide some seemingly meaningful information for whatever direction you want, but that's not enough to draw honest conclusions.
For me, I have not yet seen a legitimate case as to why Roglič can't win in a Tour vs Pogačar. And I like and watch both of them, specially in the past head to head encounters. (I also like Jonas, so I'm not trying to pump others up his account, only the last week, I said I'd probably put my money on him for the tour at the moment (though I'm not so sure my opinion is oscillating between Tadej a bit in the last days).

That's bullsh**. He wanted to do the tour, but he knew that vingegaard was going to be the first leader, so he decided to do the giro with all of the team working for him. It was a smart decision by roglic.
Considering the Giro was early in his rehab from surgery he might well have wanted to feature the Tour but the Giro would be lower pressure. So we thought....
The last Tour where he was defeated by a hay bale and left to fight back on his own was a tough moment and shouldn't be forgotten. Still, team support or not the Giro was a long shot and it worked out very well. Take the win.

Every reference you've made to performance is based on the past, except that Primoz did beat everyone at the Giro while getting into form. Rider fitness at last Tour...Vuelta, Giro and time gaps of past GTs are so irrelevant as to wonder why you even make that comparison.
At this point it's a moot argument over who is prepared for the Tour. Primoz has raced himself into shape and needs a rest. Jonas is best suited to the team support but will likely take a beatdown this time around. Pogacar has rested and has a point to make, I'd guess.

Reactions: how yes no?
Looks like he's going to the TdS
A rematch between Primoz Roglic and Remco Evenepoel at the Tour de Suisse seems increasingly likely. The Slovenian, fresh winner of the Giro d'Italia and in doubt as to whether to take part in the Tour de France in support of Jonas Vingegaard, seems to have made his choice, namely to race the only one-week race he has yet to conquer. It would be the seventh in a string of races that no one has ever completed: Tour of Catalonia, Tour de Romandie, Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Tour of the Basque Country and Tour of the Dauphiné. Only the official announcement is awaited.

I think Vinge or Roglič ALONE can't beat 100% Pogačar. But who is 100% all the time? Roglič really never was. But this year Pogačar won't be 100% because of his broken arm and lack of training. JV should bring both to TdF and Remco should be there too. It would be a war and complete destruction.

This is great news. But that's in less than two weeks, seems like a very short time to recover.
In reality, he was getting better and better in Giro so form was going up and injury problems were going down. In 2 weeks, he will heal the injury completely and form should stay on a very high level. So it's a good shot. Of course...he can always crash :rolleyes: