• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 441 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I believe many people are overestimating Vinge's abilities. He had a good Tour last year, albeit with all the tactical mistakes by Pog, and that is about it. Strong Basque this year as well but idk about the opposition there. Rog should go to the Tour as a joint leader with Vingo and odds are this will be a trouble free year and he can show his true abilities. The double seems ever closer.
If anything, the opposite is true. Vingegaard is still quite underrated despite winning the Tour in such a commanding fashion. The level of climbing Vingegaard showed last year, Roglic has never shown.

https://www.dnevnik.si/1043024849
That's interesting. According to Hvastija who spoke to Mattia Galli (Rogla's agent), Roglič is still a clear number one in the team. He himself decides which races he'll do and he wanted to do the Giro.
Well, sure, but what else is Roglic' agent going to say. And yes, they do really respect Roglic on that team, as explained by Merijn Zeeman here:

If anything, the opposite is true. Vingegaard is still quite underrated despite winning the Tour in such a commanding fashion. The level of climbing Vingegaard showed last year, Roglic has never shown.

Well, sure, but what else is Roglic' agent going to say. And yes, they do really respect Roglic on that team, as explained by Merijn Zeeman here:

Vinge needs to "earn" the respect yet. He won 1 GT. Yes, it's TdF and yes he's young but we need to wait a bit more to see if this was more or less luck or if he can do it again and again and again. If he'll do it again this year without Roglič help (let's face it, Roglič played a vital part in last year Pog shut down), then he's right up there between the best. He doesn't need to win TdF, just be competitive to the end with others. I still think, he'll never reach Pog, Rog or Remco, because these guys race all year long and win A LOT, crash a lot (Rog, khm),....drama is everywhere. Vinge is just gone most of the year, comes to TdF and looks incredible. But then he's gone again. Hard to get attached to Armstrong vibe racer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If he went to the Tour he could've worn the space jerseys, like his pals

Fw_Dy7ZWYAAz6vh

Vinge needs to "earn" the respect yet. He won 1 GT. Yes, it's TdF and yes he's young but we need to wait a bit more to see if this was more or less luck or if he can do it again and again and again. If he'll do it again this year without Roglič help (let's face it, Roglič played a vital part in last year Pog shut down), then he's right up there between the best. He doesn't need to win TdF, just be competitive to the end with others. I still think, he'll never reach Pog, Rog or Remco, because these guys race all year long and win A LOT, crash a lot (Rog, khm),....drama is everywhere. Vinge is just gone most of the year, comes to TdF and looks incredible. But then he's gone again. Hard to get attached to Armstrong vibe racer.
The 'Vingegaard is just another Armstrong' argument again. It's proven nonsense. So far this year Vingegaard has already won Pais Vasco and podiumed Paris-Nice, plus he won every stage and the overall in another stage race.

Switserland seems like a terrible idea. Just take it as a TdF prep race if you wamt it. Riders arent often good in Suisse after the Giro, and it also makes it much harder to go to the Vuelta
Eh, he's on cloud 9 right now and he probably really wants to win it and complete 1 week stage races set. Racing for 3 more weeks won't really have a big effect to fall plans. Unless he crashes of course.

I believe that the tiredness factor does not play such a big role in the overall scheme. Yes, the Giro was hard, but he did not go all out at any of the stages except at the last ITT for 45min. I am sure the other TdF contenders did just as many hours on the bike as Rogla did at the Giro.
What is more pertinent is the fact that we maybe wants to spend some time with his family (I mean what kind of life is it if one is just hopping from training camp to race to race for 9 months of the year).
Regarding the form and his abilities:
We have rarely seen a top shape Rogla at a grand tour. Twice at the TdF we did not get to see him because of crashes which, of course, then compromised the Vueltas he did. Now at the Giro with all the crashes he was not in top shape either.
Therefore, if he is willing to do it, he could very well do the Tour de Swiss in order to keep continuity for the Tour. Thus, he could arrive at the Tour in top shape and let us all hope we get to see everybody of significance go to the Tour and battle it out. Of course, with Rogla taking the yellow in the end :).

Imagine from now on only doing races which Remco Evenepoel partakes in. For example Suisse, Worlds, Vuelta, Lombardia. And whenever Remco goes to altitude in Tenerife, Rogla should go & get wasted in the hotel bar as well.

Next level trolling.

But seriously I don't believe anything is decided yet. I think the organizers of any race want him to go but there's probably a lot of unknowns right now & nothing is yet scheduled. We'll probably see the Vuelta organizers making comments soon as well about wanting Rog (they've done so in the past).

I believe that the tiredness factor does not play such a big role in the overall scheme. Yes, the Giro was hard, but he did not go all out at any of the stages except at the last ITT for 45min. I am sure the other TdF contenders did just as many hours on the bike as Rogla did at the Giro.
What is more pertinent is the fact that we maybe wants to spend some time with his family (I mean what kind of life is it if one is just hopping from training camp to race to race for 9 months of the year).
We have rarely seen a top shape Rogla at a grand tour. Twice at the TdF we did not get to see him because of crashes which, of course, then compromised the Vueltas he did. Now at the Giro with all the crashes he was not in top shape either.
Therefore, if he is willing to do it, he could very well do the Tour de Swiss in order to keep continuity for the Tour. Thus, he could arrive at the Tour in top shape and let us all hope we get to see everybody of significance go to the Tour and battle it out. Of course, with Rogla taking the yellow in the end :).
I don't think there's much evidence to suggest he wasn't at his best or at least quite close to it during the 2021 Vuelta.

For what is worth, Horner said Rogla is going to win 3 - 5 more GTs (not sure if he said this before or after his Giro win) and his teammate Tratnik said he believes Primož can win more than one Tour and has time till he's 39.

I know it's both unrealistic. It's more in line with what Valverde said last year about how Remco is by far the best or something like that. An attempt at sensationalism.
I am in the minority that thinks Horner is very astute. I honestly find his YouTube stage postmortems amazing. He talks in a nonstop monologue with stills from the race with unique insights based on clear evidence and no mistakes. Pretty impressive IMO. So I am going to assume he is correct ;)
There is just no way this is correct. I know some teammates like Kuss said this, but there is zero chance he intentionally let himself lose 30 seconds because he knew he could nip Thomas and win the Giro by, as it turned out 14 seconds. That would be idiotic. I do think it’s very possible he could have pushed harder on several stages but didn’t to keep his powder dry and because he didn’t think he could put time into his rivals. But he surely was at his limit when he lost 30 seconds and in the finale of Tre Cime (though clearly not before the finale).

I am in the minority that thinks Horner is very astute. I honestly find his YouTube stage postmortems amazing. He talks in a nonstop monologue with stills from the race with unique insights based on clear evidence and no mistakes. Pretty impressive IMO. So I am going to assume he is correct ;)

There is just no way this is correct. I know some teammates like Kuss said this, but there is zero chance he intentionally let himself lose 30 seconds because he knew he could nip Thomas and win the Giro by, as it turned out 14 seconds. That would be idiotic. I do think it’s very possible he could have pushed harder on several stages but didn’t to keep his powder dry and because he didn’t think he could put time into his rivals. But he surely was at his limit when he lost 30 seconds and in the finale of Tre Cime (though clearly not before the finale).
I do not think he did it on purpose. He was suffering at the end of that stage for sure. They also went hard in the last 10 minutes or so in stages 18 and 19. But, there are training sessions way harder than that is my point.

So you agree that he wasn't really compromised by the Tour crash that year?
I don't think his preparations for that Vuelta were ideal. Just three weeks before the Vuelta he was quite hampered by his injury in Tokyo (from what I gather because he had sat down too much on his tailbone, it wasn't an on the bike issue). I think he would have been stronger in the Tour that year without his crash than he was in the Vuelta.

But obviously he was more than strong enough in the Vuelta, and by the end of the race the effect of his Tour crash was negligible.

Suisse-Tour-Poland-Worlds-Vuelta-Lombardia. Maybe Emilia as well but after all that it might be a bit too much. I don't know, I'm not the expert here.

You think I'm joking? Think again! i.e. there's a delirious article in Marca today which suggests... Rogla could do all 3 GT's this season!

Ahora, la lógica dirá que descansará para preparar su cuarto asalto a LaVuelta. Este martes tuvo un evento en Países Bajos, sede de su sponsor, y mañana decidirá. Irá donde "más le apetezca", según confirman desde su entorno. No está descartado que vaya al Tour e incluso a LaVuelta, haciendo triplete. Todo dependerá de su decisión.

• Wow
Suisse-Tour-Poland-Worlds-Vuelta-Lombardia. Maybe Emilia as well but after all that it might be a bit too much. I don't know, I'm not the expert here.

You think I'm joking? Think again! i.e. there's a delirious article in Marca today which suggests... Rogla could do all 3 GT's this season!

That's way too much....

TRENDING THREADS