• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 446 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FxsXCqfWAAAGh12

There's nothing that suggests Roglic didn't want to go to the Giro himself. It's basically the very first question in their season scheduling, and I doubt Jumbo would've forced either of them to the Giro if neither wanted to. It also doesn't make sense at all to think Roglic wouldn't be protected in the Tour. He just would likely not be the main leader. Given that, I think the distribution of leadership has been very logical.

Roglic to Tour right now also doesn't make any sense. His form would be worse than without the Giro and his protected status would kinda go out the window rather quickly, leading to him doing what Arensman was doing this Giro. It makes sense for Jumbo in the sense that Roglic is the best climbing domestique you can have, but it doesn't make any sense for Roglic' personal ambitions.
Well there is one thing: Rogla saying things like “we’ll see after the Giro” and “No, maybe, I don’t know” and then Zeeman saying “no - we have other plans with Primoz” (not Primoz has other plans, mind you)…

I’ll admit it’s not a particularly strong argument but still, I’m not completely disregarding the possibility that Rogla wants to do the Tour and TJV doesn’t let him… but on the other hand, I’ve wanted him out of TJV for years now and this interpretation sure suits my agenda😁

Well there is one thing: Rogla saying things like “we’ll see after the Giro” and “No, maybe, I don’t know” and then Zeeman saying “no - we have other plans with Primoz” (not Primoz has other plans, mind you)…

I’ll admit it’s not a particularly strong argument but still, I’m not completely disregarding the possibility that Rogla wants to do the Tour and TJV doesn’t let him… but on the other hand, I’ve wanted him out of TJV for years now and this interpretation sure suits my agenda😁

4 weeks is a long time in cycling. Everyone knows this.

I mean one scenario exists where Vingegaard gets a bad case of Covid, another exists where he hits some street furniture in the Dauphiné or training. There's also a scenario where 50% of the TdF selection DNS for any of those reasons (as happened before the Giro).

If that was to happen (i.e. losing Vingegaard, or half the team), then sure, Rog is going to the Tour 2023 (especially the former scenario where the leader cannot start).

It's just the way cycling is.

Reactions: acm
For me it makes a lot of sense for Roglic, but not for the team. If the main goal stays TDF then I would have started with 2 leaders. I just think Roglic didn’t want this, but I would’ve forced him into this. I think it’s quite arrogant of Jumbo to think they’ll easily win TDF again, because I’m not sure Vingegaard is able to win from Pogacar when they go head-2-head, and Pogacar is at 100%.
How is it arrogance to keep one of your biggest assets happy?

That's just how the communications go normally. Jumbo announces the Tour squad, not Roglic. It was the plan all along that Roglic wouldn't race the Tour if he finished the Giro normally. Zeeman literally said "before the season we had put Roglic' name on the Vuelta list with a pencil", meaning the main plan was always Giro and Vuelta this year, and in talks before the season I would presume Roglic agreed with that.

How is it arrogance to keep one of your biggest assets happy?

That's just how the communications go normally. Jumbo announces the Tour squad, not Roglic. It was the plan all along that Roglic wouldn't race the Tour if he finished the Giro normally. Zeeman literally said "before the season we had put Roglic' name on the Vuelta list with a pencil", meaning the main plan was always Giro and Vuelta this year, and in talks before the season I would presume Roglic agreed with that.
I think Rogla needs a team that puts his name on the TDF list with a pencil. He is probably top 3 GC rider in the world, but definitely at least top 5. And they are writing his name on the Vuelta list😒

0d1a5144939e467feb1a-primoz-roglic-giro-rim.jpeg

The idea was for this one to soak in first, considering the eyes are still watery. Time to swim through! Bravo Primož for winning the Giro and winning it in such grand style! Giro is such a grand race and having it in you palmares for sure further establishes you as one of the giants of this sport.

350875618-1316292552349422-1403579735072274320-n.jpg

IG

Looks like the final time trial was one of the main goals all along. From winter hiking trip to reckoning ride in the morning before the time trial.

1685220692-MME_6440-1024x682.jpg

Winning together junior team world championship in 2007 and 16 years after to get a push from the same team member Mitja Mežnar. That is just beyond wildest imagination. On a side note 2007 was the year Kuss visited Triglav.

As for a bit of trivia. A Slovenian journalist went into a "sport lab" where he tested himself on an indoor trainer. When set for the flat part of the final ITT the journalist lasted around 40s. When set on the climbing performance done by Rogla. The journalist lasted 4s. Then he cracked completely.

66085944.jpg

66085936.jpg

On top of Višarje, among all the fans, there was a poster. The weight of the poster being around half a tone.

349510176-798838108102133-1255304978956727679-n.jpg

IG

The range of emotions was most suitable for such a big win and especially the race such as Giro. Rogla always going that extra mile for his fans. Not holding back anything. A race and a day to remember forever. Thank you Primož!

0d1a5144939e467feb1a-primoz-roglic-giro-rim.jpeg

The idea was for this one to soak in first, considering the eyes are still watery. Time to swim through! Bravo Primož for winning the Giro and winning it in such grand style! Giro is such a grand race and having it in you palmares for sure further establishes you as one of the giants of this sport.

350875618-1316292552349422-1403579735072274320-n.jpg

IG

Looks like the final time trial was one of the main goals all along. From winter hiking trip to reckoning ride in the morning before the time trial.

1685220692-MME_6440-1024x682.jpg

Winning together junior team world championship in 2007 and 16 years after to get a push from the same team member Mitja Mežnar. That is just beyond wildest imagination. On a side note 2007 was the year Kuss visited Triglav.

As for a bit of trivia. A Slovenian journalist went into a "sport lab" where he tested himself on an indoor trainer. When set for the flat part of the final ITT the journalist lasted around 40s. When set on the climbing performance done by Rogla. The journalist lasted 4s. Then he cracked completely.

66085944.jpg

66085936.jpg

On top of Višarje, among all the fans, there was a poster. The weight of the poster being around half a tone.

349510176-798838108102133-1255304978956727679-n.jpg

IG

The range of emotions was most suitable for such a big win and especially the race such as Giro. Rogla always going that extra mile for his fans. Not holding back anything. A race and a day to remember forever. Thank you Primož!
Thanks for your comments. That wonderful shot (the final one in the series you posted) with him going full bore and all the Slovenian flags in the background will live forever in cycling history.

Because it’s a single person compared to the biggest team goal

You can't force Rog to be a dom. It's not the army.

The only way he goes to the Tour is as either leader or co-leader with dedicated protection himself, i.e. he's a 4x GT winner.

I know there's a bunch of people who like to create world hierarchies with a couple of names at the top (of which Roglič is excluded) but the simple truth is on any other team in the Tour (all except UAE & Jumbo), he'd have 7 dedicated riders backing him on the road. Even with a full Giro in his legs.

That's the calibre of rider we're talking about here. Besides, Jonas Vingegaard can manage without Rog & if it does go to sh*t for him next month, it won't be Rog's fault.

I would replace van hooydonck with kelderman.
No way, Van Hooydonck was an absolute monster last year. He was always in front of Jonas and his bigger than most, so drafting is higher behind him. Thats a pretty underrated aspect. I do not think for a second Vingegaard would allow that to happen.

The only reason why his importance might be lower this year is due to the start, but the stages are still long, and Nathan can just ride in the wind for ages even on such terrain. I think he's by far the most underrated guy on that squad, he's the perfect gregario on the flat and saved him lots of watts going into the mountains.

You can't force Rog to be a dom. It's not the army.

The only way he goes to the Tour is as either leader or co-leader with dedicated protection himself, i.e. he's a 4x GT winner.

I know there's a bunch of people who like to create world hierarchies with a couple of names at the top (of which Roglič is excluded) but the simple truth is on any other team in the Tour (all except UAE & Jumbo), he'd have 7 dedicated riders backing him on the road. Even with a full Giro in his legs.

That's the calibre of rider we're talking about here. Besides, Jonas Vingegaard can manage without Rog & if it does go to sh*t for him next month, it won't be Rog's fault.
I think thats false. He'd be a1/a2 on a decent amount of teams with the Giro in the legs (Mas, Carapaz, Gaudu etc), and Ineos would simply just arrive to France with 4 protected riders as they have done lately and let the road decide.

Peak Contador was a shadow of himself in France after dominating. I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary from Roglic after the Giro.

I think thats false. He'd be a1/a2 on a decent amount of teams with the Giro in the legs (Mas, Carapaz, Gaudu etc), and Ineos would simply just arrive to France with 4 protected riders as they have done lately and let the road decide.

Peak Contador was a shadow of himself in France after dominating. I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary from Roglic after the Giro.
In 2011 I think he could have won without crashing and losing 1 minute + on day 1. In 2015 he was terrible. Froome and Dumoulin did really good doubles in 2018, but that was when the top riders in the Tour weren't nearly as good as now. If Roglic races, he might race for 3rd. Yay.

So i see three options for racing schedule in June/July. First some honest assessment in regards to fatigue and injuries should be in order. Based on that the options i see are:

1. No racing. Due to acknowledging some rest is much needed.

2. Tour de Suisse. To again make some history. The route should suit Rogla. Remco being there and having something to prove should make this race hard. Last ITT should suit Rogla but likely going after some stage wins and bonus seconds would be a sensible strategy. So this one comes down to if Rogla is currently fresh enough to out sprint Remco on MTF.

3. Tour de France. To again make some history. The 2023 edition route should suit Rogla. The main question for me hence is an assessment if it's possible to get relatively fresh into week 3. If yes then Rogla should do it. Getting through in a good position till and after the ITT stage should be plan A. ITT should suit Rogla. And then everything is possible. Direct sprinting against Pogi by JV being the initiator is in my opinion not a good idea. Riding conservative somewhere back should do. Some obstacles i see are. Giro in the legs, likely hard first couple of stages. Where Tour 2023 could already be over. Multiple goals in team. That is much less support for GC guys on some crucial stages. Where big boys are playing their own game somewhere at front. But OK. Rogla is now a sprinter too. He should do fine. For this scenario some mandatory vacation with his family and then two or three weeks of altitude camp should do.

We'll see.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS