• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 448 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He really isn't underestimated, he's just got the luxury of riding on an insanely strong team whereby he can blow hot & cold with zero implications for his leader. It means on one day Kruijswijk will be useful, then the next he gets dropped on an innocuous climb.

Jumbo's TdF squad is imbalanced in the mountains although considering the expected superiority of Vingegaard there likely won't be any negative impact from this.

Even the coverage of the finish in Rome was a bit suspect, i.e. I counted a good ten, fifteen minutes where the cameras had eyes for Cavendish & Thomas only. Rog was nowhere. It was pretty wild to just outright ignore the overall winner like that.

So I mean it's just a fact there was some sourness in their coverage last Sunday.

Except the TV coverage is provided by the host broadcaster.

It's not like Rogla doesn't qualify performance-wise over Kruijswijk or Kelderman even with Giro in his legs. It's the fact he wouldn't be a very good domestique due to lack of motivation not to mention it would "hurt his brand" to be put in this role. He goes to Tour either a s a leader or co-leader. He won't step in as a domestique.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
It's not like Rogla doesn't qualify performance-wise over Kruijswijk or Kelderman even with Giro in his legs. It's the fact he wouldn't be a very good domestique due to lack of motivation not to mention it would "hurt his brand" to be put in this role. He goes to Tour either a s a leader or co-leader. He won't step in as a domestique.

Nor should he.

It's also not really in his system to be a helper. Look at what Vingegaard did yesterday for Laporte, ever seen Roglic do anything like it?

It's also not really in his system to be a helper. Look at what Vingegaard did yesterday for Laporte, ever seen Roglic do anything like it?
In fact he pulled in a very similar way last year for Wout in 1 or 2 Dauphiné stages to catch the breakway, just before Laporte turn who was the real lead-out man. Also In 2018 did several kms in the final for Van Poppel in Vuelta a Valencia.
If you don´t count the Tour last year "sacrifice" for Vingegaard, that two and Amstel 2021 are maybe his best contributions as a domestique, althougth I personally even count as a domestique work some stage with uphill finishes in wich he doesn´t try to interfer to not offense Wout, even when it is clear to me that he can be a bit better than Wout in those finishes :sweatsmile:

I personally don't like this #sammenwinnen Jumbo tactics. Top GC guys need to contribute to domestiques fight for stage wins by pulling, leading out, sprint, whatever. I see this is as very dangerous and also very power draining. Why on earth would that be good for any GC win attempt is beyond me.

On the other hand, JV has couple "domestiques" that could easily be riders of choice in other teams, so you need to make them happy so they stay long term and help when it's needed. All together it looks like it works for JV. Most of the time.

I would go if I were Roglic, because what if the stars align?

The others might have a bad race and he is probably best of the rest, under normal circumstances.

Wont Vingegaard be going Tour every year for the foreseeable future? When will Roglic get a chance again? I dont think it is given he will be the leader for 2024, thats not guaranteed I think. Unless, Vingegaard himself wants to go to the Giro or gets injured.

His best chance is probably to go and see what happens. Not wait for another year, imo. It could all be different then.

It all depends on how Roglic feels after the Giro, what he really wants and if the team will pick him.

Maybe he has set his sights on Worlds and Vuelta, but I would think the Tour is the race he really wants.

I would go if I were Roglic, because what if the stars align?

The others might have a bad race and he is probably best of the rest, under normal circumstances.
How many of the others need a bad race? Because it's not like Roglic will be 100% himself for 3 weeks. So it's not only Pogacar and Vingegaard that need to be bad, there's a whole lot of 2nd tier riders that are as good as Roglic when he isn't 100%, and they are.

How many of the others need a bad race? Because it's not like Roglic will be 100% himself for 3 weeks. So it's not only Pogacar and Vingegaard that need to be bad, there's a whole lot of 2nd tier riders that are as good as Roglic when he isn't 100%, and they are.
I rate Roglic chance to win more than others, when I say that. If he can really do it is anyones guess, but he wont be getting a better opportunity I think if stars would align like that.

Would be easy to win if there were no capable riders at a race...

I personally don't like this #sammenwinnen Jumbo tactics. Top GC guys need to contribute to domestiques fight for stage wins by pulling, leading out, sprint, whatever. I see this is as very dangerous and also very power draining. Why on earth would that be good for any GC win attempt is beyond me.

On the other hand, JV has couple "domestiques" that could easily be riders of choice in other teams, so you need to make them happy so they stay long term and help when it's needed. All together it looks like it works for JV. Most of the time.
Because it's good for morale. The importance of motivation and having small goals to work towards is a bit underestimated, I think. It takes off the pressure as well.

Because it's good for morale. The importance of motivation and having small goals to work towards is a bit underestimated, I think. It takes off the pressure as well.

Haters gonna hate.

I mean seriously, when people are motivated to criticize a rider, they'll always find a reason.

Rog is not spectacular enough, he doesn't attack enough, he wheelsucks, he doesn't win enough classics, his interviews are flat, he hasn't won the Tour, he doesn't ride for Van Aert in the Worlds, he doesn't do leadouts for his teammates in sprint stages... I've heard & read it all before.

Each to their own. I happen to think a team should not rely on a GC leader to do a leadout train in a sprint. In Vingegaard's defense though, riding domestique is what he started as so he has quite a bit of experience doing it... & he does it well enough (I still remember his really good pull on the Angliru in the 2020 Vuelta).

Rogla meanwhile has his own style which works for him & his team.

Haters gonna hate.

I mean seriously, when people are motivated to criticize a rider, they'll always find a reason.

Rog is not spectacular enough, he doesn't attack enough, he wheelsucks, he doesn't win enough classics, his interviews are flat, he hasn't won the Tour, he doesn't ride for Van Aert in the Worlds, he doesn't do leadouts for his teammates in sprint stages... I've heard & read it all before.

Each to their own. I happen to think a team should not rely on a GC leader to do a leadout train in a sprint. In Vingegaard's defense though, riding domestique is what he started as so he has quite a bit of experience doing it... & he does it well enough (I still remember his really good pull on the Angliru in the 2020 Vuelta).

I think putting your nr. 1 rider to win TdF in dangerous sprint situations in lesser race for a teammate to get a good result is....stupid? But i'm a Rogla fan and i see danger everywhere anyway.

Reactions: acm
Haters gonna hate.

Spoken for Truth!

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS