• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 559 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
how does the merger of jumbo visma and quickstep, and the move of roglic to bora, affect the comeback of patrik sinkewitz?
Very, very good point :) - which shows that you read my posts carefully, which I appreciate very much… :)

Indeed, I have the feeling that Lefevere is building a super team for Sinkewitz here, for the Ardennes in 2025:

Sinkewitz (leader), and domestiques
Remco,
Ala,
van Wilder,
Bagioli,
Vansevenant,
Vingegaard, and
Kuss.

I think this will Patrik give huge morale boost. Possibly Patrik will be so motivated now that in 2024, last year before comeback, he‘ll already be at race weight - sharper than ever, rumours speak of no more than 40, or 45 kgs… (Was very skinny in his last days at Meridiana, already)…

;)

May 20, 2023
Visit site
The way how the merger between Jumbo Vidma an Soudal Quickstep is unfolding I am glad that Roglic decided to leave the team. The level of clusterfu... is above 9000 and there is no end in sight. These circumstances will definitely affect remaining riders and team cohesion next year. It's going to be a drama, envy and dirty games between old and new teammates...

Rogla made the right move to leave the sinking ship sabotaged by its own captains (managers, directors and owners).

The way how the merger between Jumbo Vidma an Soudal Quickstep is unfolding I am glad that Roglic decided to leave the team. The level of clusterfu... is above 9000 and there is no end in sight. These circumstances will definitely affect remaining riders and team cohesion next year. It's going to be a drama, envy and dirty games between old and new teammates...

Rogla made the right move to leave the sinking ship sabotaged by its own captains (managers, directors and owners).

I think it's too early to say whether it's a sinking ship or not -- it may be the new Death Star.

And unprofessional behavior of some is not telling -- they are athletes after all, and kids to boot (Ilan). A few wins of the new team and any birthing pangs will be forgotten.

And let's face it, in a dream scenario, Vinge leaving and Rogla staying would have potentially been better for Rogla (ignoring Remco, of course).

Reactions: SHAD0W93

This post is going to age really badly

Merging Jumbo Visma & Quick Step riders into one team sounds like a recipe for a giant clusterf*ck on a human level; so in that respect, Rog got out at the absolute best time - on his terms as well.

Maybe Plugge & Zeeman will make it work, maybe not, but the Jumbo Visma that Rog knew & raced for is going to change. It won't be the same team. Not really. Different name, different jersey, different roles, different internal dynamic with different teammates (& sponsors). He was facing a 'new environment' & a 'new challenge' whether he stayed or left, ergo leaving seems like the real logical decision.

Keep in mind most opinions which expressed the opposite viewpoint (i.e. saying Rog should stay) all predated the merger news. So I think the "whatever is going on behind the scenes" situation makes Rog's departure both a necessity & a formality.

WvA confirms his coach is leaving (he doesn't seem particularly happy about it): https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/v...en-verfrissend-om-uit-comfortzone-te-stappen/

It's good for Rog though.
Lamberts knows both of these guys really well, and has been training them for years. That can also lead to complacency, of course. As Van Aert points out, it may be good to get out of the comfort zone a little bit and try something new, which is what he's going to do. Apparently Roglic is not.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lamberts knows both of these guys really well, and has been training them for years. That can also lead to complacency, of course. As Van Aert points out, it may be good to get out of the comfort zone a little bit and try something new, which is what he's going to do. Apparently Roglic is not.

Roglič just had the best season of his career in terms of form & win rate.

His 'job' at Bora is to replicate this form in the spring & early summer, i.e. prepare for the Tour de France to the maximum of his abilities. No change of method or program needed. He's basically swapping teams, not his preparation.

WvA is in a trickier position, tbh. He had his best season last year in terms of level (his TdF 2022 form was otherworldly), whilst this season hasn't been so good. But the margins are fine. Without one puncture he would have contested Roubaix on the line against Van der Poel, aka the rider who'll likely win the Vélo d'or.

So at this level, small details (& often luck) makes a huge difference in how a season plays out.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
Is that really the case? I merely said that I don't think the merger will be an issue. Doesn't even have anything to do with Roglic. You for some weird reason immediately bring up Remco in the Roglic topic.
It all started with your claim Roglic got lucky to win the Giro. Since in reality, it was quite the opposite (he got unlucky twice: once when he crashed and when he dropped his chain), I could only conclude you think he got lucky because Remco got sick. And here, I used humour to convey the idea, that Remco was in fact never a real threat in the Giro. An idea, that is supported by his failure to deliver GC results in la Vuelta and going for stages instead. Approach which I respect, BTW...

Now I got addicted to it and can't stop anymore :).

It all started with your claim Roglic got lucky to win the Giro. Since in reality, it was quite the opposite (he got unlucky twice: once when he crashed and when he dropped his chain), I could only conclude you think he got lucky because Remco got sick. And here, I used humour to convey the idea, that Remco was in fact never a real threat in the Giro. An idea, that is supported by his failure to deliver GC results in la Vuelta and going for stages instead. Approach which I respect, BTW...

Now I got addicted to it and can't stop anymore :).
Prep aside, pretty unfair on Evenepoel when he had to race against the strongest three riders in the race who were all on the same team while also having the strongest team in the race his his team wasn’t close to their level. All it took for Pog to blow up was two Jumbo leaders and a really strong team, took Evenepoel going up against three Jumbo leaders.

Reactions: pastronef
Prep aside, pretty unfair on Evenepoel when he had to race against the strongest three riders in the race who were all on the same team while also having the strongest team in the race his his team wasn’t close to their level. All it took for Pog to blow up was two Jumbo leaders and a really strong team, took Evenepoel going up against three Jumbo leaders.
Kuss was never a leader until he got the Red Jersey.

Reactions: Carols
All it took Pogi to blow up in Granon was that he thought Roglic could be in the game so he covered all his attacks.

Reactions: Carols