• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ex pro cyclists cropping up in unexpected places

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Victoria Pendleton tried horse racing but I think she gave up after being beaten in celebrity race by much unloved Tory MP Matt Hancock (who is now in the jungle on I'm a Celebrity)

I go to Cheltenham Gold Cup day every year and one year she rode in the amateur race that follows the Gold Cup. It's a proper high profile race with very experienced amateur jockeys, some of whom have won big pro races. And she came pretty close to winning - third I think.

I go to Cheltenham Gold Cup day every year and one year she rode in the amateur race that follows the Gold Cup. It's a proper high profile race with very experienced amateur jockeys, some of whom have won big pro races. And she came pretty close to winning - third I think.

Yeah she had some wins but getting beaten by Hancock must have felt like getting beat on the track by Ronald McDonald.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah she had some wind but getting beaten by Hancock must have felt like getting beat on the track by Ronald McDonald.
This was that charity race in 2012, yes, when she was still a cyclist and just getting over the London Olympics? Other riders included the former jockey Niall Hannity and the actor Nathaniel Parker?

Hancock's constituency includes Newmarket - unsurprisingly, he is one of the MPs blocking new legislation in the UK limiting the betting industry - and he at least spent the whole summer getting into form for a race you can't imagine the others having spent a lot of time preparing for.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not really good news, but any excuse is right to post the forum's best meme ever:

h7C9DBF36

Reactions: Red Rick
So, does anyone know why the ex BIL and Weening got in a fight?
Apparently they had a discussion about raising Weening's (young) child. When his gf went to go check on it, the brother wanted to go with. Weening opposed this at which point he received some blows to the head resulting in a broken jaw. He then grapped a knife threatening his in-laws. His BIL then kicked in the door to flee the house.

CyclingWeekly published this article about Samu and his refound passion for alpine skiing a few days ago.
The first paragraphs here make it sound like it was completely his own choice to quit cycling. I've heard about riders doing "stuff" to get a contract before, but never about anyone doing it to get out of one!

It's usually the other way around, Alpine Skiers riding big Granfondos, sometimes even while still active. Manfred Mölgg rode around 10,000km per year when he was still an active skier and raced the Maratona dles Dolomites multiple times. There's also that video of him climbing the Giau alongside Cassani from many years ago.

TRENDING THREADS