• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Expectations towards vuelta 2012

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So lets see. J Rod, Anton, The Great One, Samy, Cobo, Moreno. If these guys trade attacks on a mountain are sky going to argue that the spaniards are gathering up on the Brit:p

You forgot Quintana. And Henao too. Froome will be Froomed by Henao :D

The Hitch said:
So lets see. J Rod, Anton, The Great One, Samy, Cobo, Moreno. If these guys trade attacks on a mountain are sky going to argue that the spaniards are gathering up on the Brit:p

Froome coped well last year without Contador's presence of course. I think he has proved in his last two grand tours that he has the goods. Some of those guys might outsprint him for a stage win but finishing ahead of him on GC is doubtful except for Contador and possibly Rodriguez. If there is any collusion between teams, it's nothing new, not illegal and nothing can be done about it. It's always been part of the sport to some degree but it would not be only Spanish riders doing it. The Olympic road race raised a few eyebrows in that regard re trade team riders helping team mates from other countries even though it will always be denied.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
This thread might be closed since we've already some similar threads.

But I wonder what can we expect from the vuelta? Is it going to be most exciting GT this year? Let's hope so cause honestly expect froome riding too hard for his leader or De Gendt's outburst on the stelvio the GT's hasn't been so exciting.

I'm very excited for the Vuelta, although I have no clue how I'll actually SEE it. Anyway.

I'm hoping for another memorable Contador performance. Mano-a-mano with Froome, Cobo, anyone - hopefully he won't just ride away with it. One of my favorite cycling pics is Contador v. Rujano Giro 2011 in the snow. Talk about exciting. The guy animates a race.

I'm still searching for my A-1 GT fix for 2012, hoping the Vuelta really delivers.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
CatsNK said:
I'm still searching for my A-1 GT fix for 2012, hoping the Vuelta really delivers.

This might be the best GT in a couple of years with the crazy parcours! I am prepared to be skipping class to watch some of the bigger mountain stages :) It should be even better than the 2011 Giro since there are so many good climbers to challenge for the win!

gustienordic said:
This might be the best GT in a couple of years with the crazy parcours! I am prepared to be skipping class to watch some of the bigger mountain stages :) It should be even better than the 2011 Giro since there are so many good climbers to challenge for the win!

the vuelta has absolutely no chance of surpassing the 2010 giro in terms of racing, simply because the parcours won't allow the type of racing we saw at the giro.

giro 2010 = by far the best GT of the last decade

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
the vuelta has absolutely no chance of surpassing the 2010 giro in terms of racing, simply because the parcours won't allow the type of racing we saw at the giro.

Well true, okay so maybe second best GT! But still should be better than the joke of the TDF and the 1km sprints of the Giro.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Katusha should be sending an interesting team line up:

Three possible GC leaders:

Rodriquez (Joaquin that is)
Moreno
and
Menchov

(In the order I think they should be weighing in as well)

1344244409_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_g_0.jpg

I just hope they designate a leader internally and don't go with the epic failure of trying to keep all three as supposed (marketing) leaders. Granted Rodriquez had his shot in the Giro and Menchov at le Tour so hopefully Moreno will be given his chance this time around.

Ref: http://www.marca.com/2012/08/06/ciclismo/1344244409.html

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nah would be stupid to give Moreno a chance. This ain't charity.

Moreno is not good enough and you can say he may have never had the chance to prove it but normally riders just say **** it and they'll show what they can in a GT.

Moreon hasn't proved much in a GT. Different from a course of 1 week, way different.

While purito has proven he's in the form of his life so it's really easy.

They've to go for purito maybe menchov if he can find his old legs again but I doubt it and the parcours is btw way more suited for purito.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Same was said of Menchov and Rodriquez back before they broke out, so they had their chance at glory not some payback and giving Moreno a chance is probably best, for the team.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:

So... it's the parcours that determines the racing? Huh?

Now I've read it all!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
gustienordic said:
Well true, okay so maybe second best GT! But still should be better than the joke of the TDF and the 1km sprints of the Giro.

There's no "first" or "second" or whatever. You have to enjoy every GT (and every other cycling competition) for what it is.

Señor_Contador said:
So... it's the parcours that determines the racing? Huh?

Now I've read it all!

the parcours help, the typical vuelta mountain stage where it is impossible to successfully attack on any place other then the last climb will never provide the same type of racing a stage like the mortirolo- aprica stage did on the 2010 giro.

gustienordic said:

While I wish this Vuelta could bring the excitement we are seeking- I believe the competition for the GC will be far more balanced than the 11 Giro, when Contador was above everyone-and the rest of the contenders were fighting over crumbs. This time around we have a Contador with a big question mark on his fitness , ready to prove to the world he's Is the número UNO while his contenders are stronger in numbers & quality - specially Froome & the UK postal

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Parrulo said:
the parcours help, the typical vuelta mountain stage where it is impossible to successfully attack on any place other then the last climb will never provide the same type of racing a stage like the mortirolo- aprica stage did on the 2010 giro.

The 2010 giro was not only made by the parcours. That giro was driven by the singularity that was the 13 minutes gift given to 50 riders in the stage to L'Aquila, and that was made by the weather, Vino not willing to defend the pink jersey and other contenders not willing to chase. Weather and crashes also played as much as the parcours in Montalcino. Without those stages, 2010 could have been like 2012.
I can't see how a race organiser can plan for that in the parcours.

icefire said:
The 2010 giro was not only made by the parcours. That giro was driven by the singularity that was the 13 minutes gift given to 50 riders in the stage to L'Aquila, and that was made by the weather, Vino not willing to defend the pink jersey and other contenders not willing to chase. Weather and crashes also played as much as the parcours in Montalcino. Without those stages, 2010 could have been like 2012.
I can't see how a race organiser can plan for that in the parcours.

Make the course hard and most importantly, varied enough. The Strade Bianche gives one sort of rider a chance, medium mountain stages where breakaways can succeed will give an outsider a chance (in this case a lot of) to move up and surprise. You can't guarantee entertainment, but you can at least give the riders the conditions. Mind you, the 2012 Giro parcours reception was a mixed back as well.

In this Vuelta, it's not possible, because everything is flat and the same before the last climb. No chance for a dark horse to surprise before the last climb. Now, I think this Vuelta will be very interesting, because of the level of competition, but we won't see surprises. We will just see the strongest riders battling for seconds uphill (or arriving in a group). No chance for tactical riders to make a difference before that (apart from one or two stages).

For example, what was one of the (in my opinion) best stages in the Tour this year with a breakout performance of a future star? Stage 8, winner Thibaut Pinot. In this Vuelta, there is simply no such stage to make it happen.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

:( Giro 2010 was the first bike race I ever watched! Sad to find out it's all downhill from there! Glad I was able to see it, certainly got me hooked on racing, after all!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
If Anton is in good form, he will challenge Contador too. Looking forward to 4-horse fight between Anton, Contador, Quintana and Cobo. Will be epic, hopefully they won't have any mishaps.

Coldeportes should start with one GT in my opinion, next year, their squad isn't big enough. Hopefully the Vuelta, later in the year is only good for them. Before that, maybe Tour de Suisse and similar one-week races.

next year they will do the tour. the team will be a lot bigger obviously