• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ezequiel Mosquera

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mambo95 said:
No it hasn't. He was 7th in the Tour last year. And the year before that 19th in the Tour and 11th in the Giro. He's only 25. Looks like natural progression to me.

he came 7th in a tour where wigo, not exactly a super climber came 4th. His climbing has i would say improved drastically. He crossed the Mortirolo in the Basso group ahead of Sastre and Evans. He came 3rd while working as a super domestique for Basso. Had the roles been reversed i have no doubt it would have been a gt win for Nibali. A big jump from 7th in 09 in my opinion.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
one thing in defense of Mosquera is that he simply started late. He didnt turn pro till he was Nibalis current age. Then it took a few years to learn a few tricks but came top 10 in his first Vuelta an has maintained form since.

Btw, who is Purito? Which Jens you mean?

Yes, Gebreselasie is a big "favourite" for mega doping. I mean do they even test in ethiopia? Anyway, am finished with track & field since Bolt came up. Things get total unreal there.

A good sign for cycling is that we have all the young guns now having a chance. Peter Sagan is only 19 and already winning. B.-Hagen is great at 22 etc.

What you say in defence of Mosquera makes sense. I think he would have a chance (if he is real) to be in the Top-20 next year, because they want to go to Alpe d Huez twice.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Btw, who is Purito? Which Jens you mean?

Yes, Gebreselasie is a big "favourite" for mega doping. I mean do they even test in ethiopia? Anyway, am finished with track & field since Bolt came up. Things get total unreal there.

A good sign for cycling is that we have all the young guns now having a chance. Peter Sagan is only 19 and already winning. B.-Hagen is great at 22 etc.

What you say in defence of Mosquera makes sense. I think he would have a chance (if he is real) to be in the Top-20 next year, because they want to go to Alpe d Huez twice.

Purito = Joaquim Rodriguez.
Jens = Jens Voigt. I mention him because he is one of the most loved riders on the forum. Yet he remains a super super rider despite being older than Lance (by a day)

And if they do go twice to Alpe next year, once will be 80 km from the finish like Tourmalet this year. they are planning to do a Galiber mtf as well though. Im hoping that if Mosquera wins this year he will try the tour next year and well see. If he doesnt he might put everything towards the Vuelta again.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Xacobeo rode the Giro in 2009, without much success to put it mildly.

It was a shame that Mosquera was unable to ride since it was a good field.

Vorganov came in at 23rd. Not that bad for a continental rider. But their best rider, Mosquera wasn´t in Italy. Why oh why? :rolleyes:

IIRC Voigt turned pro pretty late, he must have been about 25. Thing is with Voigt he was visible right away.

CQ points graph for Voigt

graphRiderHistory.asp

While it's true that his best results came in his 30's he's been on a decline since 2007 (age 36)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
A jump from 7th to 1st isn´t that big of a deal (Nibali). But Wiggo from 100+ to 4th is very suspicious. That´s a "better" progression than Armstrong, the king of suspicious riders.

Jens Voigt is funny. Older than Armstrong. wow. But in his defence, he always gets droped on the last hill. His only wins come out of breakaways.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
IIRC Voigt turned pro pretty late, he must have been about 25. Thing is with Voigt he was visible right away.

CQ points graph for Voigt

graphRiderHistory.asp

While it's true that his best results came in his 30's he's been on a decline since 2007 (age 36)

That´s interesting. I´d like to see the curves of Mosquera, Armstrong and Wiggins. They must have been skyrocketing :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
... if Mosquera wins this year he will try the tour next year and well see. If he doesnt he might put everything towards the Vuelta again.

It would make no sense not to ride the tour. Since the big money is there. There could be only one reason not to ride there but the vuelta again: the french doping law.

As you said. We´ll see. It will be very interesting times to come.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
he came 7th in a tour where wigo, not exactly a super climber came 4th. His climbing has i would say improved drastically. He crossed the Mortirolo in the Basso group ahead of Sastre and Evans. He came 3rd while working as a super domestique for Basso. Had the roles been reversed i have no doubt it would have been a gt win for Nibali. A big jump from 7th in 09 in my opinion.

In 2007, as 22 year old he came 11th on the stage up the Zoncolan. Not such a great jump. He's been seen as a big talent since he won Plouay as a 21 year old.

Personally, I think he's been a little bit below what he's capable of in this Vuelta.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the 30 seconds he lost with his puncture might cost him the vuelta. It will be one of the most intersting stages in years. Am looking forward saturday.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
A jump from 7th to 1st isn´t that big of a deal (Nibali). But Wiggo from 100+ to 4th is very suspicious. That´s a "better" progression than Armstrong, the king of suspicious riders.

Jens Voigt is funny. Older than Armstrong. wow. But in his defence, he always gets droped on the last hill. His only wins come out of breakaways.

Voigt isnt a climber.

His cq ranking may have dropped but i have seen some good things from him this year. Just look at his performance on the Madeline. In a breakway all day. Gets dropped. Waits for Schleck and then paces the 2 greatest climbers in the world for about 10 minutes up a hc. A fast enough pace to keep other super climbers - Menchov, Samu etc away. This from a big guy who doesnt even try to be a climber.

Also he came 2nd in Paris Nice tt, and then outclimbed Boom (i think) to take the yellow for a stage. His tts are still very good. Came 3rd behind TOny MArtin in German national tt as well.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yes, the 30 seconds he lost with his puncture might cost him the vuelta. It will be one of the most intersting stages in years. Am looking forward saturday.

Probably more like 20 seconds and ive mentioned this before but he did get a 16 second head start in the ttt so it evens it out

Someone said he would have got those seconds in a tt anyway but the fact is this Vuelta already has had a flat long tt and maybe if they had a prologue the stage 17 tt would have been shorter, or better yet, a mountain tt like the giro for Eze to take time.

Señor_Contador said:
I guess him knowing he will not get a good result at the TdF has anything to do with it? :rolleyes:

I think he could do well. Win a mountain stage or go for kom like pellizoti did. That would be massive for a team like Galicia.
Oh wait. 5 invites
Invite for Geox
Invite for Schleck
Invite for 3 french teams.

Shame really

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Entschuldigung Kollega, aber why open du den Ezequiel-thread in der Klinik ?
Ist that not a bisschen unfair ? :confused:
Sowas reisst here slowly but steady ein.

You know wie powerful the Klinik ist. It kann ruin careers. ;)
Oder was der thread nach here gemoved ?

Na ja, you see wo this ends here - Lance. All but not Mosquera.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Considering his showing relative to Nibali in this Vuelta it's reasonable to suggest that Mosquera can contend for a top 10 in the Tour.

No, he doesn't have the team.

And Nibali is not at 100% at the Vuelta. He's had a very looong season.

The Hitch said:
Voigt isnt a climber.

His cq ranking may have dropped but i have seen some good things from him this year. Just look at his performance on the Madeline. In a breakway all day. Gets dropped. Waits for Schleck and then paces the 2 greatest climbers in the world for about 10 minutes up a hc. A fast enough pace to keep other super climbers - Menchov, Samu etc away. This from a big guy who doesnt even try to be a climber.

Also he came 2nd in Paris Nice tt, and then outclimbed Boom (i think) to take the yellow for a stage. His tts are still very good. Came 3rd behind TOny MArtin in German national tt as well.

Voigt could drop people like Valverde in 2008, so i would say that there's a bit of decline. He also wasn't particularly visible in the Tour unlike say 2004 (breakaway with Rasmussen, chasing Ullrich etc).

Outclimbing Boom is not particularly difficult.

TT are still good but he won't finish top 10 in the Tour even if he didn't hold back and probably won't win time trials in a 2006-2007 Tour of Germany level field.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
I guess him knowing he will not get a good result at the TdF has anything to do with it? :rolleyes:

Why shouldn´t he? If he is the real deal, he should be able to compete in france. All 3 GT´s became more and more the same in the level of difficulty. Sastre is a good choice for comparison, since he started all 3 this year (8th, 20th, 9th).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

That´s all true. Especially about the TT´s. I can´t remember he was that good back in the 90s, early 00s (?!?).

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Why shouldn´t he? If he is the real deal, he should be able to compete in france. All 3 GT´s became more and more the same in the level of difficulty. Sastre is a good choice for comparison, since he started all 3 this year (8th, 20th, 9th).

And he pretty much killed himself in the tour with stupid attacks so could have got higher than 20th.

Also Sastre again -
08 tour - won
08 Vuelta - 3rd
09 Giro - 4th/ 2nd

The tour still is getting better riders but i think this thing of ours might be moving like tennis. 20 years ago wimbledon was the be all end all. Now its equal to the others. It doesnt matter which major you win. I think Cuddles deciding this year going for a gt (giro) even if it means sacrificing the tour, shows a step in this direction.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Entschuldigung Kollega, aber why open du den Ezequiel-thread in der Klinik ?
Ist that not a bisschen unfair ? :confused:
Sowas reisst here slowly but steady ein.

You know wie powerful the Klinik ist. It kann ruin careers. ;)
Oder was der thread nach here gemoved ?

Na ja, you see wo this ends here - Lance. All but not Mosquera.

No conspiracy here. I had doping in mind from the 1st sentence i wrote to open this thread. So i didn´t want to get it moved later. And Armstrong wasn´t discussed too much here. All things fine :) ... We´re back at Mosquera and his opponents in the vuelta.

There's several reasons to believe Mosquera isn't clean but other than the Pino connection I don't find those posted here to be very compelling. He only got results when he got old because he never got a chance before. Back when Portuguese cycling was bigger and there were more teams over there, it was very common to see young Spanish riders turning pro in Portugal and often having trouble to make it into the mainstream. That's how Pereiro started too.

As for young riders getting results now and taking that as a good sign... Two words: Ullrich, Vandenbroucke.

As always, there's too many variables involved.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

It has nothing to do with being good enough or not. Getting invited to the TdF is no easy feat, and a small team from northwestern Spain is not going to do it for you unless 1) you have connections in France, 2) you grease someone's pockets, 3) you win a few decent, well-known, cycling competitions or 4) your team is from a country which the TdF wants to do business with.

Getting 3th overall at the Vuelta a Burgos is not going to do it. And it's not like Ezequiel's accomplishments are something to write home about.

Now, if he wins this year's Vuelta then... we're talking. If that's the case I can't see the TdF not extending an invitation for 2011 or 2012.

Latest posts