• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

F1 2014

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought i would bump this up for the final race. I cannot wait im so nervous as a Hamilton fan he deserves it imo he as had the most unreliability and is still ahead has 10 wins to 5.

Scenario's are

Rosberg wins, Hamilton must be 2nd.

Rosberg 2nd, Hamilton no lower than 6th

I hope Hamilton plays it safe the car is so much faster than the rest they should dail the engine down and get to the finish. So annoying the double points for this race, Hamilton could be champion with 5th place instead which is alot more margin for error.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
I thought i would bump this up for the final race. I cannot wait im so nervous as a Hamilton fan he deserves it imo he as had the most unreliability and is still ahead has 10 wins to 5.

Scenario's are

I hope Hamilton plays it safe the car is so much faster than the rest they should dail the engine down and get to the finish. So annoying the double points for this race, Hamilton could be champion with 5th place instead which is alot more margin for error.
man,at least we have something in common,Im a Lewis fan too :D
will be nervous too on sunday,fingers crossed:)

_45546635_2008f1review_edit512x288.jpg

good old days :)

Can't wait for Sundays race. I just hope this double points nonsense does not ruin it. If Nico wins it outright and Lewis finishes worse than 5th then fair enough but not just because of the double points.

I will be happy for Lewis to just cruise round in 2nd and take the title, no need to get in a battle with Rosberg, go Lewis!!!

TANK91 said:

Scenario's are

I think the double points issue is a bit of a red herring. If Hamilton finishes the race he wont be lower than second as those Mercedes cars are a country mile ahead of anything else on the track in perfromance terms. The only issue is reliability and if Hamilton fails to finish then Roseberg would take the championship with a win regardless of the scoring system.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
man,at least we have something in common,Im a Lewis fan too :D
will be nervous too on sunday,fingers crossed:)

_45546635_2008f1review_edit512x288.jpg

good old days :)

Yes he is my fav sportsman in all sports, i watch every f1 race, practise the lot. When Hamilton crashes i turn off haha. I just pray he gets the deserved 2nd title. This will make him a legend really winning two WC in two diff cars.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Swifty's Cakes said:
I think the double points issue is a bit of a red herring. If Hamilton finishes the race he wont be lower than second as those Mercedes cars are a country mile ahead of anything else on the track in perfromance terms. The only issue is reliability and if Hamilton fails to finish then Roseberg would take the championship with a win regardless of the scoring system.

I agree they have an advantage but Hamilton has no margin for error, he could have been 5th and cruised completely with 2nd he knows he can not make mistakes. Ros is lucky to be in with a shot anyway, Spa was disgraceful. Perez wrecked Sutil's race in USA and got a drive through and and a 7 place grid drop, Ros got nothing for Spa.

A little disappointing that reliability ruined Rosberg's race but let's face it, Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best man won.

Credit to Rosberg for his very classy reaction, his attitude in defeat really impressed me.

Looking forward to another tough battle next season and hopefully Hamilton becomes a triple world champion! with Mercedes holding all the aces when it comes to engine power it will take a massive effort from the other teams to catch up.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
A little disappointing that reliability ruined Rosberg's race but let's face it, Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best man won.

Credit to Rosberg for his very classy reaction, his attitude in defeat really impressed me.

Looking forward to another tough battle next season and hopefully Hamilton becomes a triple world champion! with Mercedes holding all the aces when it comes to engine power it will take a massive effort from the other teams to catch up.
Thats true,right from the start.
Congrats Lewis!:)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best car(s) won.

Corrected for you. ;)
I guess you agree with it since only 2 teams collected wins in a 19-race-season. Even worse; 16 of those 19 races were won by one team.
Conclusion: It basically was a 2-men-championship. That means there was a 50% chance for either Hamilton or Rosberg to be crowned in the end. The mere act of stepping into the F-1-Mercedes assured that.
I am sure a Boeing-747-Pilot would also have made it to either being the champ or runner-up (if he would have been put into one of the two F-1-Mercedes-cars)... Nothing special.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
For comparison, had a quick look at the other major open wheel auto racing competition:

IndyCarSeries 2014:

Indeed the best driver won there: Will Power (with 3 GP wins).
Some stats; 11 (!!) different drivers won in the 18-Race-Season.
7 different teams won a race...

Actually it was a full blown competition (like it should be) where talent actually mattered...

May 27, 2012
Visit site
F1 cars are the most technologically advanced, fastest, most beautiful cars in racing...and the racing is as boring as watching two flies f*&k.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
F1 cars are the most technologically advanced, fastest, most beautiful cars in racing...

I agree, but the last one...
I think the new designs of the Indy cars have something "sexy"... I don´t know what, but I like them very much, may because it´s no more true open wheel since that mega accident in LV a couple of years ago.

ChewbaccaD said:
... and the racing is as boring as watching two flies f*&k.

Agree 100%... or how about that: As boring as watching a 747 landing in an airport covered by fog. :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Indy's arent bad, Nascar either, those fights after the race,and commentators are best in the world :D,racing is worse last couple of years tho...

duhh, why is foxxxy banned,thats ridiculous:eek:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Corrected for you. ;)
I guess you agree with it since only 2 teams collected wins in a 19-race-season. Even worse; 16 of those 19 races were won by one team.
Conclusion: It basically was a 2-men-championship. That means there was a 50% chance for either Hamilton or Rosberg to be crowned in the end. The mere act of stepping into the F-1-Mercedes assured that.
I am sure a Boeing-747-Pilot would also have made it to either being the champ or runner-up (if he would have been put into one of the two F-1-Mercedes-cars)... Nothing special.

Lewis was still the best man over Rosberg. Plus after years of Vettel dominance it's nice to have the guy I root for winning lots of races. Plus let's not forget it's a huge team sport. The guys who work tirelessly behind the scenes will be more than happy to have something they've produced win so many races. Let's face it, every team in the paddock would give anything to have swapped cars with the Merc's this last year.

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Little Bernie's noted that it was a good job that Mercedes let their drivers race each other, otherwise it would have been a lousy season!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117081

I've not watched many of the races, even putting aside those I can't watch because they're on Sky. The ones I have watched have been boring in general.
It'll get worse, as tallented drivers without a big sponsor, just aren't going to get a seat, even in the crappest Caterham or Marussia.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
For comparison, had a quick look at the other major open wheel auto racing competition:

IndyCarSeries 2014:

Indeed the best driver won there: Will Power (with 3 GP wins).
Some stats; 11 (!!) different drivers won in the 18-Race-Season.
7 different teams won a race...

Actually it was a full blown competition (like it should be) where talent actually mattered...

you do not seem to follow Indy Car too closely. The opposite is the case, it's down to luck for a large part of it, especially on the street circuits, not to talent. Many of those races are ridiculous and they are won by those who are lucky with the yellow and don't get crashed out.

It makes the races entertaining in a way, and it's true that there is less difference between the cars, and therefor there's also a bigger variety of possible winners - but the racing itself is far far worse than in F1

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hamilton take's BBC SPOTY. What a year for him he really is my fav sportsman. Hope he get's number 3 next year. And to the poster above i agree, one man i think could hack F1 is Will Power. He may have took along time to get his title but he as the raw speed on non ovals by a big way. Can you imagine Dixon and Helio on F1 tracks.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
search said:
you do not seem to follow Indy Car too closely.

True. Because it´s no more on german (free) TV...

search said:
The opposite is the case, it's down to luck for a large part of it, especially on the street circuits, not to talent. Many of those races are ridiculous and they are won by those who are lucky with the yellow and don't get crashed out.

As long the rules havn´t changed too much since my last full season... yes, yes, it´s long time ago (15 years)... talent matters and luck evens out in the long run. There is no lucky champion. Otherwise Mansell, Villeneuve and Montoya (all of them also performed pretty well in the F-1) wouldn´t have been champions, but more the likes of Danica Patrick... OTOH imagine her doing the mere act of sitting in a Mercedes F-1 2014. At least 2nd in the championship. There is no doubt about that... And any good taxi driver from NYC could be at least championship-runner-up in that car as well.

search said:
It makes the races entertaining in a way, and it's true that there is less difference between the cars, and therefor there's also a bigger variety of possible winners - but the racing itself is far far worse than in F1

That myth was wide spread even back in the day. Yet I remember seeing 3-wide and even 4-wide runs, inches apart from the wall and opponents going 300 km/h...
So how do we quantify "better" racing in the F-1? Because they are helped with all those technique gadgets? One day it will be like a 747 in the air: Full auto pilot...
But I would agree the better drivers overall are in the F-1. But does it help them? Heck no. If you are not in the best car, all the talent is useless. So do we know who the best driver is? Hell no. It can be anybody from Bottas to Vettel. We will never know...

TANK91 said:
Hamilton take's BBC SPOTY. What a year for him he really is my fav sportsman. Hope he get's number 3 next year. And to the poster above i agree, one man i think could hack F1 is Will Power. He may have took along time to get his title but he as the raw speed on non ovals by a big way. Can you imagine Dixon and Helio on F1 tracks.

Hélio Castroneves? Why not. He showed his reliability in 15 years at the top of open wheel racing... Would he be too old? Not for a Mercedes F-1. He could beat Rosberg. About Hamilton, am not so sure. Would be nice to find out (if given them the same cars. Not like in the Schumacher years were he got the best material and his team-mate was used as the door scraper).

Reduce the field to two Mercedes cars (or whatever car company turns out to be ahead of the others in the pre season testing), and let them do the qualiy. Whoever wins the pole is awarded the following race win. With one exception: A computer model will be run if one or both cars had a mechanical. Then the non-pole driver may be awarded the win...
That is, in principle, the way F-1 seasons are run.

The rest is pure hoax to sell tickets. And the other 20 drivers with no chance of winning are pretty well aware of that...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
That myth was wide spread even back in the day. Yet I remember seeing 3-wide and even 4-wide runs, inches apart from the wall and opponents going 300 km/h...

well, I was talking about road and street races up there - the ones on the oval are still great of course, but there are only 5 or 6 all season (6 out of 18 races on Ovals this year) - contrary to 15 years ago when there were mainly oval races.

the ones (2 or 3 a season) on road circuits (permanent race tracks - no Laguna Seca anymore btw) are usually plain boring as overtakes only can happen due to different fuel loads and tyre wear, and as mentioned above, on the street circuits you often have the pace car leading for field for half of the race (or even more, sometimes), because the good old "Yellow brings Yellow" still applies

I like IndyCar a lot, don't understand me wrong, I am following it for more than 15 years now (some years more than others), but the tendency to move to street circuits mainly is a very bad development.

and I never said there was a lucky champion by the way. I was talking about the amount of different race winners, and the reasons for it

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
search said:
well, I was talking about road and street races up there - the ones on the oval are still great of course, but there are only 5 or 6 all season (6 out of 18 races on Ovals this year) - contrary to 15 years ago when there were mainly oval races.

the ones (2 or 3 a season) on road circuits (permanent race tracks - no Laguna Seca anymore btw) are usually plain boring as overtakes only can happen due to different fuel loads and tyre wear, and as mentioned above, on the street circuits you often have the pace car leading for field for half of the race (or even more, sometimes), because the good old "Yellow brings Yellow" still applies

I like IndyCar a lot, don't understand me wrong, I am following it for more than 15 years now (some years more than others), but the tendency to move to street circuits mainly is a very bad development.

and I never said there was a lucky champion by the way. I was talking about the amount of different race winners, and the reasons for it

No prob. :)
As usual I was intentionally exaggerating things a little to hammer the message home. ;)
While you started to follow the US circuit, that was the time I pretty much stopped to follow because they split into IRL and Cart.
Thus I didn´t know they reduced the number of all the great oval races.

search said:
the ones (2 or 3 a season) on road circuits (permanent race tracks - no Laguna Seca anymore btw) are usually plain boring as overtakes only can happen due to different fuel loads and tyre wear

Holy shit! Sounds like F-1 version 2.0... :eek:
Who needs that?

Could it be they reduced them (the oval races) because of the Wheldon death? Tragic. Sure. But auto racing can´t be 100% safe. Look at Earnhardts death. The crash looked so ... how to say? ... harmless. And yet it was fatal.

BTW, I am honest here. That LV race was great to watch, too bad someone died, otherwise this one would go into history as the craziest race ever...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
While you started to follow the US circuit, that was the time I pretty much stopped to follow because they split into IRL and Cart.

I don't know exactly when it was, back then when it was live on Eurosport, must have been late 90's or something like that. I remember Castroneves always suffering from mechanical problems in his first year, and also the Greg Moore incident for example, so it must have been around ~1998 or so.

In my comparison to F1 I basically left out the oval races, as I think it's too different to really compare it with usual road racing. And I think regarding the quality of wheel to wheel races on regular tracks, the F1 just has the upper hand over IndyCar, and there are also less stupid mistakes to be seen.

As I said, those races can still be entertaining in a way, in Mid-Ohio (if I remember correctly) for example, Dixon won from last because he made his last stop early, and immediately afterwards a yellow came out. In IndyCar you can't go to the pits immediately but have to wait until everyone is lined up behind the safety car, which means Dixon was 1st afterwards. I would call that "luck" for example, if that yellow had come out 5 laps earlier (before his stop) or later (after the others stopped) he still would have finished ~20th. But then, it became interesting because of the fact that no one knew if he'd be able to make it to the end or not with the fuel load he had.

I don't know exactly why they have moved away from the Ovals, it already happened before Wheldon's accident - I think it has more to do with trying to be different to Nascar, which usually attracts way more spectators and viewer figures on tv than IndyCar.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
search said:
I don't know exactly when it was, back then when it was live on Eurosport, must have been late 90's or something like that. I remember Castroneves always suffering from mechanical problems in his first year, and also the Greg Moore incident for example, so it must have been around ~1998 or so.

Correct, about that time... Moore had a bright future. Too bad he died.

search said:
And I think regarding the quality of wheel to wheel races on regular tracks, the F1 just has the upper hand over IndyCar, and there are also less stupid mistakes to be seen.

Yes. As I earlier said, the talent level might be deeper at the F-1. But it doesn´t matter when only the car and people sitting in front of the computers decide the outcome of races.

And top level Indy drivers can make it in the F-1. The talent at the top is as good there as in the F-1. Only that we don´t know who are the best F-1 drivers.

search said:
As I said, those races can still be entertaining in a way, in Mid-Ohio (if I remember correctly) for example, Dixon won from last because he made his last stop early, and immediately afterwards a yellow came out. In IndyCar you can't go to the pits immediately but have to wait until everyone is lined up behind the safety car, which means Dixon was 1st afterwards. I would call that "luck" for example, if that yellow had come out 5 laps earlier (before his stop) or later (after the others stopped) he still would have finished ~20th. But then, it became interesting because of the fact that no one knew if he'd be able to make it to the end or not with the fuel load he had.

Yes, the yellows are lottery (OTOH, that makes things interesting too). Always were. But over the length of a season luck evens out, thus best driver wins. As it´s not the case in F-1.

search said:
I don't know exactly why they have moved away from the Ovals, it already happened before Wheldon's accident - I think it has more to do with trying to be different to Nascar, which usually attracts way more spectators and viewer figures on tv than IndyCar.

Then they must be idiots. ChampCar had it all (popularity), then this greedy a-hole bringing the IRL up spoiled everything....
I guess they should stick their heads together, and go back in time. Do it as it was: Oval races and the occasional road race(s) in Watkins Glen or Toronto...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yes. As I earlier said, the talent level might be deeper at the F-1. But it doesn´t matter when only the car and people sitting in front of the computers decide the outcome of races.

it's true, yes. Although I think F1 has improved again over recent years. Things like DRS are not optimized yet, and sometimes it even is too easy to overtake now, but generally at the moment there are less boring races than like ~10 years ago.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
And top level Indy drivers can make it in the F-1. The talent at the top is as good there as in the F-1. Only that we don´t know who are the best F-1 drivers.

yes, maybe. I hoped to see Simona in the Sauber next year for example, she was a great addition to IndyCar, and also would be for F1 I think. But with the current situation it's almost impossible to make it if you don't have Red Bull, Mercedes or a big oil company behind you - and yes, that's definitely a big problem of Formula 1 - and unfortunately unlikely to change as long as Bernie is in charge.

TRENDING THREADS