• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

F1 technology for bikes. What doesn't make any sense?

So Wout is coy about using ridiculously expensive new adjustable tire pressure technology for Paris Roubaix. It is an ideal solution for the circumstances of the race and represents a serious tactical advantage if it proves reliable in that event.
Is this too much of a departure from a BIKE?
Mind you; I've been grumpy about disc brakes and tubeless tires; particularly after waiting on the rainy and cold side of a road while a rider in the group figures out how to fix that sh*t.....that's just me.

It all went wrong with the introduction of solid rubber tyres. Bikes were perfectly fine before solid rubber tyres. A bit of wood and metal was all you needed to connect you to the road, and they really connected you to the road, you felt the road, every bit of.

And of course after solid rubber tyres they brought in chains. Totally ruined cycling did chains, everything was tickety-boo when wheels and cranks were properly united, all chains do is ruin your trousers with oil. And break.

And brakes! Totally never needed them either.

I dunno, it was all a lot better when bikes were real bikes.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
It all went wrong with the introduction of solid rubber tyres. Bikes were perfectly fine before solid rubber tyres. A bit of wood and metal was all you needed to connect you to the road, and they really connected you to the road, you felt the road, every bit of.

And of course after solid rubber tyres they brought in chains. Totally ruined cycling did chains, everything was tickety-boo when wheels and cranks were properly united, all chains do is ruin your trousers with oil. And break.

And brakes! Totally never needed them either.

I dunno, it was all a lot better when bikes were real bikes.
So what would be your position on racing with e-bikes or just making the sport motocross? How about if antigravity systems are ever introduced, negating the affect of gravity on climbs? At some point a line has to be drawn.

Reactions: Cookster15
So what would be your position on racing with e-bikes or just making the sport motocross? How about if antigravity systems are ever introduced, negating the affect of gravity on climbs? At some point a line has to be drawn.
More along the lines of the old UCI mandate of affordable "inclusiveness" to spread the good word of cycling. We know that initiative died quickly once bikes crossed the price point of 98% of enthusiasts. This is a very precious luxury and experimentation and innovation is a great idea. Well heeled Masters will be flocking to their supplier as soon as they can get them for coffee ride bragging rights.
Countering my own grumpiness and showing my hypocrisy toward purism, I wholeheartedly embrace disc brakes for my gravel bike and would love more shock absorption for my old bones.

I think 'bicycle competition' should include:
  1. All power to operate the bicycle should come from the rider.
  2. No 'energy storage' mechanisms
yea, I don't like 'motorized shifting' ...
Well, most friends that have electronic shifting will never go back. Most couldn't clean a a derailleur, let alone adjust one so I can see their point. They've become fairly reliable and costs have come down. I've enjoyed the precision shifting on bikes I've rented.
Still, I don't own an electric group as I've never had issues with mechanical versions and took care of my own maintenance. Having started racing on down-tube friction shifters I particularly liked the innovation of indexed shifters; which represented a huge leap forward from technology before. Older, grumpier guys projected they'd fail at racing because "everyone could hear when you shifted and know you'd attack..." It was an end to an era, for sure.

What doesn't makes sense about it is that Formula One cars don't have the ability to adjust tyre pressure on the fly.
Well it actually makes alot of sense. F1 teams had and continue to explore how to manipulate air pressure from the mandated Pirelli supplied standards. All teams must use the same tire, operating in the same PSI range per F1 rules with No messing around. Red Bull currently has been accused of heating their tires before inspection to match the recommended temps. Prior to race time, presumably; they reduce pressure to increase grip. F1 has had to deal with systemic tire failure before. Those consequences involved some serious crashes.
That many former riders traced serious tire failures to tubeless tires at the recent Paris Roubaix suggests it's not a small thing. Fred Wright would probably agree but can't as a rider paid to perform on tubeless.

Apr 18, 2023
Visit site
I think it's pretty cool that Wout is considering using new tire pressure technology for Paris Roubaix. While it may be a bit of a departure from traditional bike setups, I think it's important for riders to embrace new technologies that can give them a competitive edge. I can definitely understand your frustrations with disc brakes and tubeless tires, but I think as with any new technology, it takes some getting used to.

Downhill is usually known as the F1 of cycling racing...That's where the newest, latest tech gets tested. They're not so conservative, and tradition based as road racing.
As it should. It's whole different sport and seems to parallel motocross. The UCI preached conservative frame styles and innovation adoption for decades because they were protecting the vested Old Guard of frame builders and component manufacturers. Frames don't look anything like they used to and few road racers still have metal tube or tig-welded frames. The prices are also nearly 10x what they were and pricing/common availability was the other UCI mandate to expand cycling. So much for that.
Hopefully good innovation comes at less than nose-bleed cost. We'll let the pro riders manage the technology they use, I guess.

Downhill is usually known as the F1 of cycling racing...That's where the newest, latest tech gets tested. They're not so conservative, and tradition based as road racing.
Road racing bikes emphasize aerodynamics and weight. The newest latest tech gadgets are unlikely to make you slower in MTB, unlike the road. There is zero equibalance to downhill MTBs except for two wheels and human powered (ignoring E bikes).

I also agree with Oldermanish that recent technology simply costs too much. The cost of top end race bikes used by the pro teams have escalated by 70-100% compared to as recently as 2016. Discs, electronic shifting and aero is part of this. Why we would possibly want to make the sport even more expensive for people to enter escapes me.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Road racing bikes emphasize aerodynamics and weight. The newest latest tech gadgets are unlikely to make you slower in MTB, unlike the road. There is zero equibalance to downhill MTBs except for two wheels and human powered (ignoring E bikes).

I also agree with Oldermanish that recent technology simply costs too much. The cost of top end race bikes used by the pro teams have escalated by 70-100% compared to as recently as 2016. Discs, electronic shifting and aero is part of this. Why we would possibly want to make the sport even more expensive for people to enter escapes me.
I agree but don't think the only issue is how much bikes will cost. It's what limits would the governing bodies find necessary? Rider safety is clearly not the most important consideration. Cost and adherance to ancient designs used to be. I'm all for easier and more comfortable riding since my character has been tested by old technology I won't ever ride again even for some ironic event.
I just got 45cm gravel tire with Cushcore if that tells you where I'm headed.

TRENDING THREADS