• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gutted for him. :(
About the crash, his posterior tire exploded right after puncture, he hit the ground pretty hard and damaged the cartilage in his left knee.

As the #1 Tibopino fanboy, I feel that's one less threat but I'm not rejoicing. Sad to see a rider being hurt. I hope he sets his sights on stages at the TdF, early exit and all out in the Vuelta. Or is it over-exaggerated and he's playing mind games? Skip the Trentino, start so-so, and whack everyone...I don't know.

I hope this doesn't have any lasting effect on his confidence. Last year was so disastrous for him, you kind of wonder what something like this will do to his mind. I think he should now aim to be at his best for the Vuelta. The way things are turning out, he would have far less miles on his legs than all the main competitors.

Re:

AlexNYC said:
I hope this doesn't have any lasting effect on his confidence. Last year was so disastrous for him, you kind of wonder what something like this will do to his mind. I think he should now aim to be at his best for the Vuelta. The way things are turning out, he would have far less miles on his legs than all the main competitors.

I will think he will be as big a favourite as you can get to win a GT if he also skips the Tour for the Vuelta. Presuming that he is able to get in enough training miles before then of course.

Great shame that a Sardinian is not able to ride the first Giro
including Sardinia for years.
He may be past his best the next time. it does
:(

Falling like leaves they detach
from time’s most affable path –
companions of mine most dear. ...
Antoniu Mura Ena

the original Sardinian:
Ruen che fozas. Dae su caminu
de amabile tempus si distaccan
amigos caros chi cherio bene. ...

Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
AlexNYC said:

I will think he will be as big a favourite as you can get to win a GT if he also skips the Tour for the Vuelta. Presuming that he is able to get in enough training miles before then of course.
Nothing i've ever seen of Aru suggest that his best is as good as Froome was last year in the Vuelta. That Froome beats Aru 9 times out of 10. However he would be in the best positions to challenge, other than benjamin button bala.

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
Re:

jaylew said:
Disaster season for Astana so far. No wins, no Aru for Giro, no Lopez yet, worst team in WT.
They are not the worst team in WT. They just have had a lot of bad luck and 9 riders of their team were focused on the Giro these last couple of months.

About the "no wins", of course that's not good but they are heavily focussed on the GT's and major classics; they don't even have a decent sprinter.

Schmenkie said:
jaylew said:
Disaster season for Astana so far. No wins, no Aru for Giro, no Lopez yet, worst team in WT.
They are not the worst team in WT. They just have had a lot of bad luck and 9 riders of their team were focused on the Giro these last couple of months.

About the "no wins", of course that's not good but they are heavily focussed on the GT's and major classics; they don't even have a decent sprinter.
I'm not saying they have the worst talent or haven't had bad luck with injuries, but they have absolutely been the worst WT team in 2017 so far. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up that way. Getting Superman Lopez back will help.

jaylew said:
Schmenkie said:
jaylew said:

I'm not saying they have the worst talent or haven't had bad luck with injuries, but they have absolutely been the worst WT team in 2017 so far. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up that way. Getting Superman Lopez back will help.

They absolutely miss the S-Works bikes :) Very bad season so far, expected more from Fuglsang. I hope they can show something in the classics. And after that maybe Kangert for his own chances at Giro? Not for the win off course but he deserves it. Can't wait to see Lopez back in action!

Aru, Lopez & Fuglsang @ Tour would be great.

Re:

yaco said:
The curse of the knee strikes again - No certainty Aru will be ready for the TDF - Better to keep him for the Vuelta.
So, how many do we have now? König, Nizzolo, Albanese, Chaves, Poels, Alaphilippe, Aru, Capiot, Fedi, Haussler. I make that ten current or recently returned knee casualties that I know of.

Re:

yaco said:
The curse of the knee strikes again - No certainty Aru will be ready for the TDF - Better to keep him for the Vuelta.
The curse of the knee worked well for Europcar not too long ago ;) .

Seriously, Aru has to rest, set his sights on something that will make his season meaningful. And achieve. Otherwise, he'll start the '18 quest with zero confidence. And when you are not strong in your head, you don't have that ability to dig deeper.

TRENDING THREADS